Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Prewar - Fed 50mm f/3.5 macro m39 mount PT5620
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...it's a winner!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens looks so stern on your Olympus. I don't know why, but somehow it reminds me of battleship Potemkin.
Now, if someone made a similarly robust looking digital camera .... that would be a cool thing to walk around with.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance we can get the pictures reuploaded? I'd love to see them. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7R

OMD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou very much. Smile
Seems to have good resolution for such an old lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also able to get hands on a sample of this rare lens Smile
The lens was in unusuable condition when I bought it (the damage was known and I got it cheap). The cemented rear element was extremly scratched (like an ice hockey field after the game) and the cementing had started to separate.
It was absolutely clear that the rear glass lens pair needed to be replaced in order to make the lens usuable again. Fortunately, I owned an ordinary FED-10 collapsible (postwar production) that should have the same optical formular. However, it turned out that the brass fitting of the rear element of the collapsible FED had a different thread than that of the Macro version. So I had to take the glass out of the brass fitting and "transplant" it into the original brass fitting of the macro. This was not easy because the brass was crimped over the glass edge, but with a cutter blade I could bend the rim out and replace the glass! After the new glass was in place, I crimped the brass back over the glass edge in order to fix its position (I used a wooden rod as a tool).
Now it is working again like new Smile

Here are two tests shots I took yesterday evening (@f:6.3) after the repair was finished:

Test shot by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

Test shot by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful results, can you post a pic of the lens?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Beautiful results, can you post a pic of the lens?
Sure, I'll do it when I'm back home from work.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the lens:

This lens is NOT rangefinder coupled and the flange distance is NOT the expected 28,8mm for Leica M39, it is actually 35,5mm! Strange...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pictures:

Iris germanica by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

Wide open my specimen shows a lot of spherical aberations, which quickly disappear at f<4.5. This might be a consequence of the exchange of the rear element from another FED-10 (collapsible) 3.5/50mm. I don't know. On the other hand, the sharpness drop towards the corners is now definitely less as with the original collapsible FED-10. Also the lateral chromatic aberations in the corners, visible with the collapsible version (post war), is not visible withe the FED Macro after the "transplatation".

Stopped down to f:6.3

Anyhow, since the lens was totally unsuable before the surgery, I'm very happy with the result Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f:6.3

Hieracium aurantiacum by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that exchanging the rear element did lead to an increase of the focal length and hence the increased flange distance of 35,5mm instead of 28,8mm.
I therefore also exchanged the front element (took it from the same collapsible FED-10 as for the rear element). Now the focal length is back to 50mm and the flange distance is 28,8mm as it should be.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exchange of the front element not only reduced the focal length, it also had a siginificant impact on the wide open performance:

Iris Germanica by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

This picture was taken at f:3.5 and the strong spherical aberation is now reduced and the bokeh is much smoother!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit closer and stopped down to f:6.3:

Side effect of the element exchange: 3 of 4 elements are now coated Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Intrestihg result

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
The color rendering of the lens is now much more vibrant due to the fact that 3 of 4 elements are now coated. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I finally figured out how to completely disassemble the FED Macro. I cleaned the helicoids and I cleaned and blackened the aperture blades as well (they are made of brass and were quite golden shiny at some spots. On this occasion I also took the opportunity to exchange the last remaining uncoated lens element against a coated post war one. The the lens is fully coated now Smile

Some fresh examples:

Relaxing by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

Wild rose by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

Geranium by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

First roses in my garden by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corn flowers / Kornblumen (Centaurea cyanus) by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summertime by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pictures are forcing me to try better my collapsible Industar... really good samples thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FED Macro f:3.5 / 50mm by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

Unfortunately I accidentally polished the front engraving partially off in an attempt to restore the chrome finish. Since the partial engraving looked bad, I decided to remove the engraving completely and regalvanize it.
Maybe I find a way to replicate the the engraving later... Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candles by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potentilla palustris (Sumpf-Blutwurz) by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarracenia purpurea by Alexander Kraus, auf Flickr