Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Preview of Budapest vacation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Preview of Budapest vacation Reply with quote

Like I said, I shot mostly film in Budapest - and used digital only for difficult situations, or just very sparingly. So I don't have much to offer at present. I have picked a selection of 5 photos amongst the few currently available:

VIEW FROM THE CITADELL
This is the typical postcard view - my take of it. I used the Sigma 10-20 here - only AF lens that I had, but indispensable on a crop camera (unfortunately)

THE VAULT OF THE BASILICA
Taken with Attila's Flektogon 4/20.
The interiors of this church are just amazing - unfortunately without a tripod I couldn't do much. Hopefully I'll be able to show more when the film is ready

INTERIORS OF A RESTAURANT IN SZENTENDRE
Taken with either the Meyer Lydith 3.5/30 (bought in Budapest for 20 Euros) or the MIR-24M 2/35 which I bought from a Russian seller and had delivered at Attila's address - I can't remember

HUNGARIAN TRADITIONAL DANCES SHOW
Taken with either the MC Jupiter-37AM or the Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85 - more probably the former. This is just one of the many moments of the beautiful evening. I will post the whole series

HUNGARIAN TRADITIONAL DANCES SHOW: THE MUSICIANS
Again taken with either the MC Jupiter-37AM or the Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85 - more probably the former. These musicians were amazingly good performers. The audience appreciated very much

This is all for the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Tell you what, I like the Szentendre restaurant shot the most (so far).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Nice!

Really? Well photography is a subjective matter of course. I like the other ones better. Especially from the technical point of view, I am very happy with the vault photograph and the two theatre photographs, because they were very difficult shooting conditions. I appreciate the way the Flek has respected the architectural proportions, in spite of the (forcedly) slanted point of view. Something that I can not say of the Sigma lens in the first shot (you can see the buildings on the right side are really distorted), but on the other hand, in the first image I like the exposure which is just right - the shot has a wide dynamic range but I didn't use any trick in development - the exposure was dead on from the beginning - and for this I have to thank the 400D really - what an amazing camera it is. If only my 5D was so accurate in metering...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Orio the Hungarian dance pictures are my favorits.
but Their all top quality!
Nice pictures

If you don't know the difference may i asume the MC Jupiter-37AM and the Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85 equally in quality

Guido

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigt wrote:
I agree with you Orio the Hungarian dance pictures are my favorits.
but Their all top quality!
Nice pictures

Thank you Smile

Jigt wrote:
If you don't know the difference may i asume the MC Jupiter-37AM and the Rollei Sonnar 2.8/85 equally in quality
Guido

Yes, in my opinion the Jupiter-37 is at the same quality level of the Zeiss Sonnars. In fact, the J-37 is a Sonnar design. In my opinion, the Jupiter-37 (any of the variations) is the best value-for-money that you can get on the lens market. I bought my first J-37 for only 7 euros. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, the panorama, the theatre shots or the Basilica are better of course. But I do not expect you to shoot technically bad pictures, unless you want it. Technically excellent pictures is what I expect from you (if that's your aim), thus those photos are no surprise - they are exactly what I expect to see when you show pics.

The restaurant photo may, technically, not be as good as the others, but it catches me, it kind of tells a story. I can imagine you guys sitting there and talking, enjoying food and having fun. There is a lot to discover in this photo and despite it seems like a snapshot, every time I look at it, I can discover something new. This is why I like it.

You know, I expect technically good photos from an advanced photographer if he wants to be technically perfect, anything less (which is not intended) would be a disappointment. What I like to find in the photos is a surprising element, something that catches my attention.

Do you remember Montecarlo's "umbrella" pic? Technically maybe not perfect (burned highlights), but he accepted that and so he got a fantastic shot. This photo also really catches me. And so does your restaurant picture.

Know what I mean?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for dancers, colors , lights just great!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Know what I mean?

Yes, I know what you mean, and you guessed right, we had a lot of fun that day, as the following picture proves Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I vote for dancers, colors , lights just great!

Unfortunately, the still pictures don't do justice to the charme of the ancient dances and the skills of the dancers. Yet I think I have some good ones for a series Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budapest looks like a beautiful city, hopefully I'll get to see it sometime.

All great shots btw, the dancers shot is my favourite.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second pic from the shop even better!! This is a great capture from Monica!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Tak wrote:
Budapest looks like a beautiful city, hopefully I'll get to see it sometime.

Me too! Many of us dreaming about an mflenses meeting. Here in Budapest or somewhere else would be great to meet you guys.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pleasing images Orio - as an aside and without going too OT, how did you find the Bessaflex to use, apart from the ISO issue?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all great. Actually, the sigma 10-20 did well. The dance photos were really good Cool Cool

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Very pleasing images Orio - as an aside and without going too OT, how did you find the Bessaflex to use, apart from the ISO issue?

I have been disappointed by the shortsighted design of the ISO knob - the fact that it doesn't have a stop lock has costed me 7 rolls of overexposed film - OK, as the photographer, I am supposed to check for the right ISO before I shoot every roll, but when I know I only have 100 ISO film, I think I should be entitled to take it for granted that the selector will stay where I put it first.
Another not very comfortable design choice is to make the stopdown button on the top left of the camera, as this makes it impossible (at least for my hands) to adjust it and the aperture ring at the same time, so I always had to lock the stopdown button in the up position - but this way the metering is active only for a few seconds then it stops, and to reactivate it you have to unlock-relock the button up. Not very smart.
As for focusing/viewing, the camera is a dream - by far the best, largest and WAY brightest viewfinder of all the M42 cameras that I have tried. It competes in brightness and size with the viewfinder of the Nikon FM2 - actually I think the Bessa's may even be a tad brighter than the FM2's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Nice!

Orio, it's about the accordion! It reminds Carsten of Oktoberfest! Beer,
sausages and polkas for all! Laughing

I like the dance shot, and the snapshot of your significant other! Looks
like you both had a great time! Very Happy

Bill

ps OK, the Vault of the Basilica is pretty fantastic, too!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Nice!

Orio, it's about the accordion! It reminds Carsten of Oktoberfest! Beer,
sausages and polkas for all! Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Me and the Oktoberfest? Oh no, I have been there once and don't think I will go there again. You know, beer and sausages are nice, but much nicer when you can have them being with your friends and not with several thousand completely drunk people shouting around silly songs. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, I also don't like much this kind of happenings...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! And I prefer wine. Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Spanish and Portuguese sweet wines and one Hungarian wine "Tokai". Is there any sweet German wine ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can get a wine called "Beerenauslese", very sweet.
I prefer dry red wines (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz/Syrah and the like).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to not forget this wine , hopefully sometimes I will taste. These dry wines or these types available here. We have 90% dry or semi sweet wines.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
just to keep you updated - I have received the slides from the labs, and apart from a very few mistaken ones (in a lesser number than mistaken digital takes, curiously - after a though I decided that the fact that you are shooting film and spending money forces you to give more thought to each shot, thus reducing the hurried and mistaken ones and ultimately making of you a better photographer), they are all really good slides - of course I speak humbly, I mean very good for what I can give, which is not the level of great photographers - anyway - the slides are here but I don't know when I'll be able to publish them, and not only because it's a lot of scanning work and I have resumed working - also this takes me to the other thing I wanted to let you know, and this is : the reason why I am showing up much more rarely on the forum lately is, I am going through a very difficult period personally, with my father in the hospital fighting a difficult battle for his life - so if you don't see me often around here it's not because I don't care anymore, it's just that I have so many other things on my mind and my heart at the moment.
I sometimes come in and look at the new pictures you posted, many are really great - please forgive me if I don't comment on them like they would deserve, but rest assured I look at all of them and enjoy them very much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you all the best in this difficult situation for you! Forget slides just concern to your family.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes family is much much more important, I hope your father gets better soon Orio.