Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

[Preview] from the Bardi mediaeval and fantasy series
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: [Preview] from the Bardi mediaeval and fantasy series Reply with quote

direct:
http://www.orio.ws/temp/_MG_2286_red-fr.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, very interesting shot! Is what I'm seeing the first successful
launch of the Italian Space Program (ISP)? Laughing Seriously, tho, very
nice shot with crisp details! Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
launch of the Italian Space Program (ISP)? Laughing
Bill

Yes, we like manual lenses and manual rockets Wink

P.S. not to make a point but to give reward to the hard work of the people who deserves it: several advanced electronic and optical components in the two space telescopes (the Hubble, and the other one whose name I can't recall now) were designed and built here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another one:

direct:
http://www.orio.ws/temp/_MG_9372gbred.jpg

The previous shot (the flag) was taken with 5D and Summicron-R 50mm. The shot of the virgin in white under the rain is taken with 400D and MC Jupiter-37AM.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to see the whole series, the preview is promising. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
launch of the Italian Space Program (ISP)? Laughing Seriously, tho, very
nice shot with crisp details! Wink

Bill

Do you know what is the best in your posts ? Your jokes Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was very happy of the abstract quality of the flag shot, but perhaps I have overrated it, as most comments do not seem to even notice it. This shows perhaps how highly subjective our evaluation is. What seems out of ordinary to someone, seems average or not worth noticing for others.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Orio!

This happens to me often. I am amazed by a picture and then everybody comments on some other ones.
Often, I guess, the photographer connects a special feeling to a shot that hardly can be conveyed by a picture.

You're right, there is something special to it, but I really think there is something special to the second one!
The way she is placed in the picture, the fact that she looks away from the beholder and her posture expresses a kind of longing, as if she yearns for somebody...

Nice, very nice!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,
In the picture of the wistful, longing, lady...are those artifacts or is it
starting to rain?

Carsten, it's "nice, nice, very nice" if you're quoting Kurt Vonnegut jr Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

This happens to me often. I am amazed by a picture and then everybody comments on some other ones.
Often, I guess, the photographer connects a special feeling to a shot that hardly can be conveyed by a picture.

Yes, in this case I immediately thought of Magritte. Even when I was shooting. It was intentional.

LucisPictor wrote:

The way she is placed in the picture, the fact that she looks away from the beholder and her posture expresses a kind of longing, as if she yearns for somebody...

Yes, the shot as is is rather ambiguous, when you will see the whole sequence it will be clear what she is doing - this is a show they held in the piazza d'armi (weapons square - does it make any sense in English?) of the castle. It was a large theater company from Milano, the show was a sort of postmodern, tolkienized-hollywoodianized version of the mythical Ragnarok.

BTW the young lady is the virgin in white and she is bringing the sword of the power that the forces of Good (who won the fight the previous year) are giving back before the new battle against the forces of the Evil.
(As you can understand, there is not much left of the original Ragnarok concept - but we are living in the age of the Big Brother so this is the level of culture that we must expect from popular shows today...)

Last edited by Orio on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Orio,
starting to rain?
Bill

It was raining!
The show was delayed for a little. Here the rain is almost ending so they restarted.
Amazing how good the rain may look in photograph when you use the right exposure time eh? Wink
It must be not too slow to blur, and not too fast to make the trace too small.

EDIT:
I wanted to add that I am amazed more and more by my little Jupiter-37s.
Look at how it saturates the color even when the image is all in the shade - I underexposed intentionally because of the rain, I wanted the rain to show and the tone to be dark, to transmit the feeling of the cool raindrops - but it's the performance of the lens that is amazing! The best underexposed picture I shot in a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, color saturation is superb in this one. Perhaps the magic of the
CMOS sensor potentiates this effect as well. Wink Although I am
impressed by the color def when using the lens with a 35mm film cam.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Yes, color saturation is superb in this one. Perhaps the magic of the
CMOS sensor potentiates this effect as well. Wink Although I am
impressed by the color def when using the lens with a 35mm film cam.
Bill

yes, shoot this with my Canon 100mm and it will be nowhere near this density.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Well, I was very happy of the abstract quality of the flag shot, but perhaps I have overrated it, as most comments do not seem to even notice it. This shows perhaps how highly subjective our evaluation is. What seems out of ordinary to someone, seems average or not worth noticing for others.

Oh Orio, you mustn't think that! In my case I think I know when I see something I like, but I don't feel at all qualified to comment on the artistic merits of a picture, so I generally stay silent.

Frankly I don't understand some of the posts that go into raptures about a B&W picture of some rusty nuts and bolts, for example, but I'm trying to learn. I don't personally see much artistic merit in your picture of the flag flying through the air but, taken with a manual lens, it is technically magnificent in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to tell the truth the first photo caught my attention. How did he do that? Luck, skill, all of the above. Any way a great capture. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Well to tell the truth the first photo caught my attention. How did he do that? Luck, skill, all of the above. Any way a great capture. Cool

Bob, Orio just cut and pasted the flag on a cloud background like we
wouldn't know! Laughing Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:

Thanks Bob.
It is much easier than my ego would like to admit after all these quite undeserved technical praises.
It only takes these simple steps:

1) Look where they approximately throw their flags and prefocus there;

2) Be fairly distant from the subject (at least 10 mt): the farther you are, the deeper your DOF is;

3) Don't use a tele, they are not needed and the longer the focal lenght, the harder your work is, because your DOF gets narrower and you increasingly need faster shooting times and a faster reaction time. Use a standard lens (around 50mm);

4) stop down - f/8 is enough if you follow what's in point 2 and 3; use fast times - I used 1/250 to be safe, but you can manage with slower also if you are able to pick the second when the ascending force ends and the flag seems still in the air, before the force of gravity pulls it down. Sacrifice the ISO if necessary (it usually isn't as there is plenty of light up there)

5) Try to anticipate the action and click a moment before you expect the ideal moment to happen - this is a key to all action photograph not just this one

So as you can see I am no wizard.
I believe that if there is any merit, it is mostly in the concept (which as I said I "borrowed" from Magritte) not in the execution - there were about 20 other photographers there but not one of them that I could see, ever shoot at the flags in the air, they were only concerned with the human action. But see, I am a fan of the "lateral thinking" Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:

Bob, Orio just cut and pasted the flag on a cloud background like we
wouldn't know! Laughing Laughing
Bill

Bill: you got me.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Orio,
starting to rain?

Carsten, it's "nice, nice, very nice" if you're quoting Kurt Vonnegut jr Wink

Bill

Normally I hate quoting myself, but Kurt Vonnegut died yesterday same
day I wrote this. A little bit eerie...

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bill!

No, I was quoting LucisPictor, because I often say that. Wink

But it is strange that a person passes away the day you're quoting him. Sad
Please, do never quote me! Shocked Wink

Carsten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Ok, I won't. Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hi, Bill!

No, I was quoting LucisPictor, because I often say that. Wink

But it is strange that a person passes away the day you're quoting him. Sad

Carsten

Carsten, I've made a note on that! It's strange, "nice, nice, very nice"
is from a couplet of his "Cat's Cradle" and an LA rock group, Ambrosia,
did a hit song in 1975 by the same name based on Vonnegut's work.

Di Caprio has bought the rights to Cats Cradle to be made into a movie.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more preview:

direct:
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/598/mg2186qx4.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and yet again another two, but these are the last ones, else I will give away too much too soon! Smile

Both the two images above, and the previous one, were taken with a Summicron-R 50mm on the 5D.
And were not saturated!!

Directs:
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6979/mg2195gl5.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/84/mg2197fk6.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Orio!

Such vivid colours!!!