Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Prakticar 50mm f/2.4 many samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Prakticar 50mm f/2.4 many samples Reply with quote

This was a cheap kit lens for Praktica bayonet cameras. I have the first version made of metal. The 4/4 optical design almost look like a planar in the background blur.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice shots here Smile

This lens is a bit of a "sleeper" as there aren't many Praktica bayonet adaptors available for other systems!
As you have the adaptor, it's worth trying some of the other Prakticar primes, they can be very good!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small
Beautiful pictures

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton,

I am not aware of alternate versions of the Prakticar 50/2.4; it was the first clean-sheet design for the B-series shown in the "teaser" brochures, along with the Pentacon 50/1.8, the remounted Oreston. The 50/2.4 has a bit of a funny reputation, some say it's quite poor and yet some say it's rather good.

I do have most of the B-series lenses, and found them more than good enough when I used them professionally since the mid 1980s. Over the years some of them have developed stiff focussing actions, undoubtedly due to deteriorating grease, but I also understand that they are mechanically very different and difficult to work on; I have yet to find a comprehensive online tutorial on restoring any one of them yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Some very nice shots here Smile

This lens is a bit of a "sleeper" as there aren't many Praktica bayonet adaptors available for other systems!
As you have the adaptor, it's worth trying some of the other Prakticar primes, they can be very good!

Indeed! If it had M42 mount it would probably be well recognized.

I have some of the other lenses for the system. 50mm f/1.8 Pentacon version, 50mm f/1.4 thorium version, and 135mm 2.8. I like to try the 35mm 2.4 and 55mm f2.8.

wolan wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 small
Beautiful pictures

Thanks!

Seele wrote:
blotafton,

I am not aware of alternate versions of the Prakticar 50/2.4; it was the first clean-sheet design for the B-series shown in the "teaser" brochures, along with the Pentacon 50/1.8, the remounted Oreston. The 50/2.4 has a bit of a funny reputation, some say it's quite poor and yet some say it's rather good.

I do have most of the B-series lenses, and found them more than good enough when I used them professionally since the mid 1980s. Over the years some of them have developed stiff focussing actions, undoubtedly due to deteriorating grease, but I also understand that they are mechanically very different and difficult to work on; I have yet to find a comprehensive online tutorial on restoring any one of them yet.

There are two versions http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/prakticar_50mm_f24_pancake

It could be sample variation.

Mine is not stiff but there is some play in the focus mechanism, but it still works well enough.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50/2.4 is a cheap replacement for classic Tessar 50/2.8. It was designed back in 60s but produced in 80s for the B line. At some point the production was relocated from Görlitz to Romanian I.O.R. The first version is all metal the second one is a horrible piece of plastic.

There are numerous "new designs" for the B line. Most of them are rare: 55/2.8 Macro, 50/1.4, 28/2.4 or 200/2.8.

More info about the 50/2.4.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "converted" one of the early versions for use on a Pentax. There's some of the pictures I made with this conversion posted here http://forum.mflenses.com/pentacon-pancake-on-a-pentax-t78247,highlight,%2Bpentacon.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! You got to get creative sometimes to adapt to slr's Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind me adding a couple of street shots taken with this lens put on Sony Nex. I find the rendering of both skin and chrome surfaces pleasingly smooth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I hope you don't mind me adding a couple of street shots taken with this lens put on Sony Nex. I find the rendering of both skin and chrome surfaces pleasingly smooth

Good shots! Like 1

This lens needs more attention Very Happy

I need to shoot some more with it too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't miss to post here your new shots!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Prakticar 50mm f/2.4 many samples Reply with quote

So I also took some new shots.

The bokeh is my favorite characteristic.

Sony a7.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very creative lens, it has that analogue tessar feel,

it needs a busy background to start to shine as we see from in-the-woods pics.

reminds me also a lot of fujinon 55/2.2