Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Praktica FX2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Praktica FX2 Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FX2 was the first SLR I owned way back in 1965. I paid £10 for it S/H.
It was an dreadful camera, almost unusable. There was also a big poor fitting Pentaprism which would always fall off in your camera bag or worse when you were trying to do a shot. The waist level finder was useless and of course almost imposable to use for portraits. The Pentaprism wasn’t much better unless you wrapped tape round it to hold it on and stop the light leaks.
But to a 15 year old schoolboy (Me} it was GREAT.
I struggled with it for 6 months before being able to afford a Pentax SL. What a difference. The FX2 really was a load of junk. Even the Tessar lens which I thought was excellent was put in its place by the great Super-Takumar f1.8 55mm.
I used the Practica’s original f2.8 Tessar as an enlarging lens for about a year but the heat from the enlarger eventually ruined it. Then I got a decent enlarger lens.
Remember back then that old pre-set lens was worth about £2, but I doubt you would have found anybody who would want to buy it.
I suppose today they are worth (Relative to inflation) even less. I saw one a couple of months ago for £10.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing So a display cam only , I was born in 1965.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Laughing So a display cam only , I was born in 1965.

There is no doubt that if you found one in Good condition it would take a great photo.
It just isn't much fun using the thing, unless you are just using it for the fun of it!
I think the FX2 dates from about 1959, mine was S/H and in those days a cheap buy.
If you want a good/best Birthday SLR (1965) camera look at the Pentax SLR of that year.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already a Pentax MX how about this cam ?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MX is an excellent camera I had one for a few years, it is as you know a much later camera (PK mount)
Some regard the MX as one of the best but I always preferred the ME and ME super. The ME (IMO) handled better than the MX.
I recall using the MX during the winter. There was so much bare metal on the camera that your fingers could freeze to it!
IF (Big if) I was tempted to have a Pentax 35mm film SLR (I do still have a working SL, black body 3063535) It would be a Spotmatic or the ME.