Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

POSTING RULES (PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: POSTING RULES (PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING) Reply with quote

Hello
this gallery will dedicate one thread to every lens model. In that thread, everyone is invited to post their best images taken with that lens, made on any medium (digital or film).

This means that you need to make a selection prior to posting on this gallery. You are asked to please choose pictures that do not contain obvious mistakes (like: bad focusing, unwanted motion blur, badly wrong exposure). Do not be afraid to partecipate and post! Should it happen that one picture may misrepresent the lens (due to bad mistakes or poor result), the mods/admins will simply remove it. We think that if you will be selective to your pictures, this will probably never happen, or very rarely. In any case remember that any picture that would not make it to here, can still be posted freely in the other galleries.

If you publish photos of a lens whose thread is not created yet, you will also have to create the title. For that, please follow this rule if possible:

Brand + Lens name + aperture/focal lenght + line and mount (if needed)

Example:
Leitz Summicron-R 2/50
(here mount and line are not needed because it's already specified with the lens name)

another example:
Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 Contax CY
(here line and mount are needed to distinguish from e.g. Rollei version)

Small differences of versions, particulars, et c., are better described with each posting, instead of creating new threads. For instance, there are two optical versions of Summicron-R 50; instead of creating two threads, one "Leitz Summicron-R 2/50 first version" and "Leitz Summicron-R 2/50 second version", it's better to make only one thread "Leitz Summicron-R 2/50" and then specify, with every picture that you post, which version of the lens it is.
The same goes for instance for Contax AE and MM versions of the same lens. Or for aluminium and black version of the Jupiter-9.

A different case could be when two lenses of the same brand, same focal lenght and same min. aperture are actually completely different lenses. One example is the Nikkor 2.5/105 in the Pre-AI and AI(S) versions. in that case, since it's not a matter of an optical update or improvement, but the two lenses are completely different, they should be posted in separate threads. but those cases should be limited to a very minimum number.

When the same lens is made in different mounts (for instance, the Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 in Contax and Rollei mounts), or even different brands (for instance the Contax and Pentax version of Distagon 2/28, which besides also feature a different lens name) it's best to make separate threads.

About discussions in this gallery:
if you like to comment on the pictures, please do. If instead you would like to open a discussion on a lens, or make questions about a lens, please open a thread in the Manual Focus Lenses section instead.
Please avoid quoting pictures in your replies, this makes pictures appear redundantly and this is not good.

Happy posting your best of lenses!
_

Last edited by Orio on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:47 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like this gallery should be both fun and informative, Orio. My only comment at this point is that I hope that there will be a group of people here who are informed enough about the differences between the lenses such that they will be put where they belong. For example, using your example, I would have unwittingly included my pre-AI Nikkor 105/2.5 with later lenses of different optical formulas because I wasn't aware they were different until I read your comments just now. So, hopefully, there will be folks who can straighten things out when certain inevitable errors are made.

Looking forward to this! Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Sounds like this gallery should be both fun and informative, Orio. My only comment at this point is that I hope that there will be a group of people here who are informed enough about the differences between the lenses such that they will be put where they belong. For example, using your example, I would have unwittingly included my pre-AI Nikkor 105/2.5 with later lenses of different optical formulas because I wasn't aware they were different until I read your comments just now. So, hopefully, there will be folks who can straighten things out when certain inevitable errors are made.

That's what mods are for Wink
Of course people who post should make the effort of giving details about the lens they used - like describing it, if they are not sure. Then mods will sort out if necessary.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this include any lens, as there could be hundreds of threads, and what size shot?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Does this include any lens, as there could be hundreds of threads, and what size shot?

Good questions , I think 800x600 minimum is fine, any lens is fine, I don't see problems with hundred of lenses. First poster will make i'ts threads, don't need to make any empty threads in advance. We did discuss this already with Orio.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Good questions , I think 800x600 minimum is fine, any lens is fine, I don't see problems with hundred of lenses. First poster will make i'ts threads, don't need to make any empty threads in advance. We did discuss this already with Orio.

...it would make Mflenses the most informative site for the performance of different lenses. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Attila wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

...it would make Mflenses the most informative site for the performance of different lenses. Cool

I hope so!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's start the game ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So any of the lenses presented here will have its price driven 50% up in the next 6 months ? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
So any of the lenses presented here will have its price driven 50% up in the next 6 months ? Very Happy

Well also it could misinform people as:- someone could have a VG copy of a crappy lens and has the skill to post excellent shots and from that.........wow! must have a Domiplan. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera used would be helpful to me -- for example I will want to know was the photo made using FF or APS-C or M43 dSLR, or using film camera and scanner (also which scanner).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:

I'm glad I have all the lenses I need Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
The camera used would be helpful to me -- for example I will want to know was the photo made using FF or APS-C or M43 dSLR, or using film camera and scanner (also which scanner).

Yes, all information about camera and film should also be given.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can write anything in some lines what you think it is important to know from lens. Mini review, hood usage etc.

I think you can post also images here taken with fixed lens, don't need to be only interchangeable lenses

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about all lenses -- could subject line show exact text printed on lens body? The exact text or parts of it is what people type into search engines.

@Attila, does search engine pick up subject line of individual reply? I imagine Soligor 2.8/28 post, there are 22 replies, with subject line for each reply one of 22 versions of that lens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I don't know about all lenses -- could subject line show exact text printed on lens body? The exact text or parts of it is what people type into search engines.

@Attila, does search engine pick up subject line of individual reply? I imagine Soligor 2.8/28 post, there are 22 replies, with subject line for each reply one of 22 versions of that lens.

Don't think so better to put to version to different posts as I did on Biotar 75 (pre-war, M42, slim, etc) don't save posts, it will be thousands anyway.

I thought first time same than you about exact print, but... people are lazzy, they rather put into search engine first Flektogon 20 than Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 2.8/20...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I should mention this, since something very similar is already been done at another forum I frequent -- the Texas Photo Forum. The admin over there has a very specific format that people must follow when posting information about a lens. Here is the Canon directory over there. As you can see, it's quite organized, and really does help a person find out more about an optic. Of course, they are totally focused on AF (uh-oh, a pun), but still you get the idea. Note the sticky at the top of the listings.

http://www.texasphotoforum.com/forum/canon/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please everybody contribute to the effort! Not just few persons.
And don't forget to include some 100% crops if they are worthy. People looks for these, too.
_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Please everybody contribute to the effort! Not just few persons.
And don't forget to include some 100% crops if they are worthy. People looks for these, too.
_

First, when you say "best of", do you mean from a photographic point of view or from the lens point of view? I mean, some shots can be uninteresting or with bad lightning/composition/you name it (I've plenty of examples in my library Wink ) but that truly represent the qualities of the lens, sharpness, CA, bokeh, flare, whatever. In other words, do you want shots that could enter in the various "Contest" threads or do you want test shots?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:

First, when you say "best of", do you mean from a photographic point of view or from the lens point of view? I mean, some shots can be uninteresting or with bad lightning/composition/you name it (I've plenty of examples in my library Wink ) but that truly represent the qualities of the lens, sharpness, CA, bokeh, flare, whatever. In other words, do you want shots that could enter in the various "Contest" threads or do you want test shots?

I mean the best results that you obtained with the lens. There is no rule other than your aesthetic sense, use your best judgement.
If you have a photo of a trash can, that you think represents the quality of the lens at best, by all means publish it. We want to see it.
Of course, maybe make so that there is 2-3 photos of trash cans in your selection, not 20-30 Wink

Obviously one should avoid posting pictures with obvious mistakes - that's what I meant with the need of being selective. There is some people who can make good photos but who seem to have difficulty detecting major problems in their other photos (like, focusing mistakes, motion blurs, badly wrong exposures). Everyone should expurge photos with obvious mistakes. I have several photos that I love but which have obvious mistakes. I would never post those in this gallery.

EDIT: I have edited the rules text, to make it clearer that the selection must make sure that no pictures are posted with obvious performance errors (bad focusing, unwanted motion blur, badly wrong exposure, etc.), and that selection does not mean to publish only masterpieces. Normal daily photos are ok if they display well the characteristics of the lens.

Last edited by Orio on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:46 pm; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another recommendation: please try to avoid, if possible, quoting pictures in your replies. This makes pictures appear redundantly and this is not good for the purpose of this forum. Replace the picture with a description if possible (or a number if the author has numbered his pictures).
Another possibility, if quoting a picture is necessary, is to resize it to a small size of 400 pixels. Enough to understand what you're talking about, but not too large to clutter the thread with repetitions.
_

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, clear enough

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only just now had time to notice and read this.

Excellent idea. This very much solves the issue newbies and others not familiar with the quirks of the search engine have - this is a very convenient and fast way to access a directory of the best a particular lens can deliver.

I contributed with some Nikkor 50/1.2 Ai-S shots, will post more when I have time, time and time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way it can be listed alphabetical? (for better avoiding double posts) Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Is there a way it can be listed alphabetical? (for better avoiding double posts) Surprised

Please do the following:

1- go to "Search
2- enter your lens name as Keyword
3- select "Best of lenses" forum
4- hit search

then in the results page look if there is your lens already. If yes, post images as a reply, if not, create a new thread.
Thank you.