Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portraits with Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II + A7R II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Portraits with Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II + A7R II Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Excellent! #7 favorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like these portraits. Great separation. Great softness. Pic #4 is my favourite. For some reason I immediately, and weirdly, thought of Diego Velazquez when I saw #4. I have no idea why.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye, very nice portraits. They succeed in transmitting a certain mood and that's art.

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Sciolist wrote:
Pic #4 is my favourite. For some reason I immediately, and weirdly, thought of Diego Velazquez when I saw #4. I have no idea why.

You are right, it has something from Velazquez. Could be the skin colors?... the sense of reality? .... the overall atmosphere? Probably all together.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Whoo Turtle Happy Cat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Ye, very nice portraits. They succeed in transmitting a certain mood and that's art.

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Sciolist wrote:
Pic #4 is my favourite. For some reason I immediately, and weirdly, thought of Diego Velazquez when I saw #4. I have no idea why.

You are right, it has something from Velazquez. Could be the skin colors?... the sense of reality? .... the overall atmosphere? Probably all together.

Could it be the facial expressions arozenfeld caught, dan?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 excellent for my tastes.
Sandro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys!
Shooting portraits of people is something I love doing and can’t stop doing. I’m glad you like them. And I think it’s a great lens for that!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a very good portrait photographer - some of the best work I've seen. The subjects are quite natural yet engaging.

I can't help but feel that the Nokton 50/1.5 has the better bokeh, which is disappointing because this seems like the better lens overall, and I love the 58mm focal length - having started manual lenses with a Minolta MC-I 58/1.4.
Does the bokeh butter up at F2, perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the comments, Teemō!
I have personally the opposite impression. 50 1.5 is a bit sharper and modern, and I like the 58 1.4 bokeh a bit better. But of course it's very personal. I do like "character bokeh", whatever that means Smile In any case, they are both great, and even if they are so close in focal length, I frequently take both with me for portraits.
The other day I used Minolta Rokkor PF 58mm 1.4 for a series in which I am shooting photographers using their favorite lens in each case. And the bokeh was among the smoothest I've seen. Even at f/4, super smooth bokeh and strong defocusing!

Teemō wrote:
You're a very good portrait photographer - some of the best work I've seen. The subjects are quite natural yet engaging.

I can't help but feel that the Nokton 50/1.5 has the better bokeh, which is disappointing because this seems like the better lens overall, and I love the 58mm focal length - having started manual lenses with a Minolta MC-I 58/1.4.
Does the bokeh butter up at F2, perhaps?