Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PORST Weitwinkel 1:3.5/35mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: PORST Weitwinkel 1:3.5/35mm Reply with quote

A early spring rose shot with a M42 PORST Weitwinkel 1:3.5/35mm. These shots are from a series of test shots I did when I first received the lens. Another one of my $25 marketplace specials...
I had read that the Porst lenses were not all that great... but I figured if they were gonna name something Weitwinkel, that it had to be good! (only later did I realize that Weitwinkel means Wideangle... Smile )

Shot handheld with the K20d on an overcast day... but I thought the old Weitwinkel did pretty well and had an interesting look.

And a shot of the lens

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name sounds like something you'd visit a clap clinic for Laughing

But the lens is great! Congrats on finding this little gem of a lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one is lovely
For sure this Porst 1235mm is a Sonnar clone, like the Jupiters - I can tell it by the bokeh.
135mm lenses are the best bargains on the used market - they are the cheapest of medium teles, and almost all of them are very good.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the 35mm aren't. Wink

Good lens, though.

Ports was no manufacturer but rather a reseller. Thus, some of their lenses are pretty good, others are mediocre. It seems you have a nice copy!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Porst 35/3.5s were Enna OEMs, if I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
But the 35mm aren't. Wink

oops! Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks everyone Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I was not expecting much when I got this one. But it always feels good to get one of those "suprises" when you start shooting.

Here are a couple of side shots of the lens if it helps identify the maker.

I have a 28mm 2.8 Accura Diamatic that looks very similar, but it is not anywhere near the IQ of the Porst Weitwinkel...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: PORST Weitwinkel 1:3.5/35mm Reply with quote

Gus Helios wrote:
A early spring rose shot with a M42 PORST Weitwinkel 1:3.5/35mm. These shots are from a series of test shots I did when I first received the lens. Another one of my $25 marketplace specials...................

A good lens. I like the first one. Is the rose named "About Face"?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on this finding. I like #1.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely photos from a lens that certainly does the trick there Gus.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The f 3.5 max aperture is a new one on me but the rest of the lens is very characteristic of early Tokina made 35/2.8.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour and sharpness wise seems very well balanced. Also the out of focus rendition is pleasing. Someone says that Porst didn't made lens by theirselves...but then who made this Weitwinkels? They doesn't remind me of any lens i've seen 'til now.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks everyone Reply with quote

Gus Helios wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies. I was not expecting much when I got this one. But it always feels good to get one of those "suprises" when you start shooting.

Here are a couple of side shots of the lens if it helps identify the maker.

I have a 28mm 2.8 Accura Diamatic that looks very similar, but it is not anywhere near the IQ of the Porst Weitwinkel...

This lens reminds me a bit of my Uni 35 2.8, with the exception of the rubber grip.

Here's a link to the thread about this UNI

http://forum.mflenses.com/uni-35mm-2-8-t14471,highlight,uni.html