Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please share some info on Canon FDn 50/1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Please share some info on Canon FDn 50/1.2 Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm interested in the FDn 50/1.4 bigger non-L brother.

I've noticed pretty much all of the affordable copies have haze or fungus behind the front element.
Usually that's not that big of a deal, but IIRC the whole front group of 50/1.4 is not serviceable, and I have a sinking suspicion this is also the case for 50/1.2.

Have anyone amongst the members had a hazed 50/1.2?
If so, how did you managed to clean it?

Also, if someone has a schematic layout for the 50/1.2 stashed somewhere, please share it Smile
I could not find it anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/50mm.htm#f1.2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I have seen the optical scheme.

This, I'm afraid, is of no help in understanding how serviceable each of the groups are.

To illustrate: say, you got a 50/1.4 with a bit of mold in the rear.
No big deal, since rear optics can be removed and cleaned up.
On the other hand, if you got a copy with a mold inside the sealed front group, good luck cleaning that.

Optical scheme does not reflect these gotchas, that's why I'm looking for a first hand experience.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally get it, I bought an MD 50/2 cheap on ebay, it looked good so I went for it, turns out it had fungus, and I found out the cells are sealed when I finally got around to cleaning it, it's still not clean and I refuse to buy another.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
mold inside the sealed front group, good luck cleaning that.

Front group on nFD 50/1.4 is not sealed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
aidaho wrote:
mold inside the sealed front group, good luck cleaning that.

Front group on nFD 50/1.4 is not sealed.

Good to know.
It was quite some time since I've disassembled one. Just used it as an abstract example.

200+ USD price range seems to me as an enough incentive to clean up the front glass and increase selling price/selling odds, yet it seem like this isn't happening.
There must be some logical reason for that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone pulled the trigger and bought hazed 50/1.2 for $210 shipped.
I hope this was one of the forum members, who saw this thread Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
There must be some logical reason for that.

Of course there is - it is not as simple as it sounds.