Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please help me with my dilemma!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Please help me with my dilemma! Reply with quote

I have a Sony NEX-5N which I love especially since discovering Konica Hexanon lenses. But, I am having great difficulty living without a viewfinder. My eyesight is to blame so what do I do? Do I ...

buy a Hoodman screen viewer and attach it to the camera (about £80)
buy a Sony EVF (about £200)
or bite the bullet and sell the 5N and buy a NEX-6 or NEX-7 (expensive option)

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them. If I did opt for the NEX-6 or NEX-7, which one should I go for?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used nex7 and nex6, but still keep the nex5n with evf.
Once you have the evf, there is no need to upgrade.

nex6 and nex7 evf cannot bend up 90 degrees as the evf, but it's more sturdy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely buy the EVF for the 5N, it has the benefit of articulating which I personally find invaluable.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, does the EVF have dioptric adjustment Andreas? With my old eyes I don't think I could use a camera without
it - that's one of the points I checked out when I chose the NEX-7. Having said that, I still need to wear my glasses to see the
info on the LCD or look at stored pictures etc. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Out of interest, does the EVF have dioptric adjustment Andreas? With my old eyes I don't think I could use a camera without
it - that's one of the points I checked out when I chose the NEX-7. Having said that, I still need to wear my glasses to see the
info on the LCD or look at stored pictures etc. Sad

yes Peter, the optional EVF for the NEX5N/R has diopter adjustment.
For reading I need +3 reading glasses, the diopter adjustment on the EVF at it's extreme is just strong enough for me to see sharp with unaided eye.
I do everything on the EVF, not only composing but also changing settings and reviewing, that is I hardly ever have the need to put on my reading glasses.
Reviewing I find much better in the EVF then on the LCD! Possibly that's a bit less comfortable on a fixed EVF, but I do it looking somewhat down with the EVF tilted up some 40 to 45 deg. and a relaxed neck, in the same way I take most photos.
Reading glasses I only need sometimes when diving into the menu for mayor changes and of course when using the LCD for composing, that is when I take photos at waist level or overhead.

Some years ago, when I changed from a Konica Minolta A2 with a then, and for years, leading and also articulating EVF, to my first dSLR it had driven my nuts for some months to come that I composed in the OVF + diopter adjustment without glasses but always needed to put on my reading glasses for viewing the LCD to change settings and to review the photos. For me going back to an EVF was a mayor relief!
The K-M A2 did have much better access to settings though and cleverly overlayed the setting, while being changed, big in the center of the EVF. That meant that on the K-M A2 I NEVER had to use my reading glasses, something which I hope a future EVIL, by having better access to settings and better menu system, will enable too. Possibly a NEX6 or NEX7, with more dedicated buttons resp. tri navi system already could offer that? Or even more likely the Ricoh GXR? ( of course minus when using the LCD for composing e.g. shooting from the waist, the also similar articulating LCD on the K-M A2 was too small for me to be much usable like that, and btw. the GXR's LCD doesn't tilt. - I have a very clear vision of my ideal EVIL and so do many K-M A2 lovers Wink )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: FDA-EV1S USA price drop Reply with quote

for Edgar or anyone else interested in the the optional viewfinder for NEX5N / 5R / F3, the FDA-EV1S, it recently has been discounted in the US where now e.g. at Amazon and B&H it sells for 218,49. In Europe it still sells for around 260 Euro which equiv. about 340 usd. B&H's overseas shipping is expensive, Amazon doesn't do it, a 'relay' might be worth while.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went a NEX-6 route instead, as I do not really need tilting viewfinder, but wanted to have more manual controls the NEX-6 offers. The only thing that I miss of NEX-5N is a touch-screen...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex H wrote:
The only thing that I miss of NEX-5N is a touch-screen...

You know, I'm very glad now that I didn't go for the touch screen 5N. I don't understand the technology of touch screens, but
they just don't work for me, no matter how hard or softly I touch them. I have trouble with my phone and my sat-nav and my
son's i-Pad too. Maybe my batteries have run down! Sad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
I'd definitely buy the EVF for the 5N, it has the benefit of articulating which I personally find invaluable.

My apologies for not replying to you all until now. After careful thought and a check on the finances, I've ordered an EVF (thanks Kuuan).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
kuuan wrote:

My apologies for not replying to you all until now. After careful thought and a check on the finances, I've ordered an EVF (thanks Kuuan).

The EVF arrived this morning. My NEX photographic life has been transformed with this little accessory! Expensive, but imo, worth every penny! Very Happy