Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please help find stolen Nikon S rangefinder/Lenses!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Please help find stolen Nikon S rangefinder/Lenses! Reply with quote

Hello gang-it’s been a while.

Not sure if this is appropriate setting, but I’m not sure what to do.
Long story short, I won some items at an estate sale. Nikon S rangefinder with 1.4/5cmand possible 8.5/1.5 or 12.5 and some 3.5cm lens.
$380.
When I received the package finally, all the lenses and camera were missing. The auction house only sent me the empty case that included a long case for whichever lens that is in the picture, and s viewfinder.
They’re taking no responsibility saying they sent it, as they technically send me the case that the UPS employee picked up but it had no contents.
They have no survellance at the preview-I know right?
So either someone stole the items during the preview, which *should* be tough, or an employee yanked it and they passed it off as it’s still there-are the case with the lot number Smile

So I’m out of the money, and the lenses. Was gonna resell for pretty penny.
I was already checking eBay and craigslist, but hadn’t popped up yet.
I was wondering if anyone can help knowing some way to find it if it pops up online, or if lens/camera hunters can keep their eyes out for this Nikon rangefinder set in these pictures with these serial numbers.
It’s the only way I can find some solution/closure, or possibly get my money/lenses back.
The estate sale was in hedgesville, WV.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the auction house ripped you off.

1) Nikon S2 chrome Dial
2) Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.4 with hood and caps
3) Nikkor-PC 10.5cm F2.5 with Hood and Caps

I don't know what is in the small case- if anything.

These photos are low quality, would detract from the bid price on Ebay. At least with Ebay, you would have recourse.
If you used a credit card, I would do a charge back.
If you sent a postal order or check- there is little you can do. Was the package insured at all? If the seller did not offer insurance, sounds like they scammed you.

You have almost $400 into the lot. My advice: if you walk into an antique shop and find this outfit for $100, you could turn around and sell the whole thing for about $500. You don't know the working condition, don't know the condition of the glass, and $400 was about the right price for this outfit with those unknowns. If the camera and lenses were in perfect working order- you might get $600 for the outfit. Nikon RF equipment is way down in price. I picked up a near mint Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 in Leica mount recently for $200, S-Mount lenses are going for less.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for response.

You can tell in one of the pictures that the case indeed did have a lens inside-a Black 3.5cm one. Can’t see aperture.
You can see the silver outline on black body, plus size.

Also, I felt there was a tiny chance that could be a 8.5cm instead of $12.5.
Either way, I’d say that’s bad advice.
S2 with 1.4 alone is $500. Other two lenses, $500 at least assuming the 3.5cm just a f/3.5.
Go on eBay right now. And it looks in good condition to me.

Either way, I cannot walk into a store and buy it for $100 or I would. I paid $400 and I received nothing in return except a empty leather case. So I appreciate the advice, but it’s not logical or applicable or realistic. Thanks

For parts one sold for sale price I paid for that package. So at worst I would’ve kept 2 free lenses. And yeah, I got the good price due to the crappy pics but I can do my deduction to get food price on it.

But the issue is, I cannot get my money back, because they have an invoice saying they gave out the items to UPS, but alas they just gave them the empty box. So it’s like they did their job, and are exempt from liability, and that’s all they care about. It is a legit auction house, Hurley’s auction in PA. Wasn’t ripped off by some backalley deal be abuse I was being stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a trustworthy business they would have insured the package.

I have 5 Nikon S2's and a total of 14 Nikon rangefinders. I've watched prices drop 50% and more in the last 10 years. You can pick up a Nikon S4 for less than what the S2 sold for, and I've seen the SP down to $600. I have at least 25 lenses in S-Mount, they picked up a bit with mirrorless- but still require an expensive adapter. That fad seems to be slowing down. Figure selling anything on Ebay will cost you 15%, and hope you get paid and not scammed by a buyer. It's not what it used to be. If you can make money on the items, that's great. If you do all your own repairs, you can buy as-is cheap and resell after repairing them at little cost. I've picked up lenses for under $100 and sold for over $500, after investing 10 hours of time into them.

But- you do not know what you are buying, cannot tell a Nikon S2 from a Nikon S, do not know what lens you bought- Nikon never made a 12.5cm lens in S-Mount. The price different between an 8.5cm F1.5 and 10.5cm F2.5 is $2000. First thing you should do is get some references on this equipment before speculating on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply weigh the items you received. Compare with weight shown on shipping records. If weight is the same, there is proof they did not send the missing items. Different weights proves only that the lenses were removed after the package was weighed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try contacting UPS - they may have a record of the package weight. But that's the danger of buying from the auction houses - they post crappy photos, do not reply to messages, and rip you off with premiums and shipping charges. Even if the stuff is good. That's why I am extremely conservative when dealing with them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame! My sympathies to you in such a stressful situation, StillSanj. I double the weighting advice. That'll let you understand at least at which moment the steal took place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Simply weigh the items you received. Compare with weight shown on shipping records. If weight is the same, there is proof they did not send the missing items. Different weights proves only that the lenses were removed after the package was weighed.

+1. I was just about to say the same. Get confirmation of the weight of the package from the carrier. Then you'll know at which point the items were lifted, and so who to go after with your proof. Don't expect the seller to do this work for you. You'll have to do it all for them. And present it in an easy to comprehend fashion. Like explaining something to a 10 year old. If it looks like it is going to be too much like hard work for them, they will bury you in red tape.

Good luck, man.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help find stolen Nikon S rangefinder/Lenses! Reply with quote

Wow, this sucks. I wish you success in recovering your money/lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you file a police report for stolen good?

Most likely someone at the Auction House stole the equipment. That is theft. It will also make the auction house take this a little more seriously, they have a thief doing their shipping.

What I learned- never trust this Auction house. Reading online reviews of this business, others learned that lesson the hard way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant advice to weigh the package. Did you say whether you used a credit card? Credit card companies will allow you to make a case against the seller and they often if not always side with their customers. It will take some time; they allow time for the seller to respond and provide proof.