Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pleasant surprise
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Pleasant surprise Reply with quote

Yesterday, I was visiting a friend in San Antonio Texas. I wanted to shoot some 35mm but was out of film so I stopped in a camera store that I had not visited (San Antonio Camera Exchange) before that carries a good selection of 35mm film. I got the film then noticed their used equipment area.

Hmmmmmmmm!

They have a fair amount of used equipment. They know the value of the stuff so no great deals there BUT . .In their junk box I found a 2x APS AutoTele Extender.

It was 15USD so I thought I’d give it a try.
I was very pleasantly surprised! It’s somewhat soft as all extenders are but not bad . .

I shot this, my youngest's tire swing, with a Jupiter 21-A (200mm) plus the 2x Autotele.

It took a bit of tweaking as it was slight low contrast, and a small amount of sharpening but the results were OK.

Same scene shot a bit later in the day with a MIR 37mm

These are pretty cheap on ebay, from 5USD up.(search "APS autotele")

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look good, perfectly acceptable for a 400mm by my standards anyway.

I'm going to try for 700-800mm work with the "wundertute" next time, and I have several 2x extenders to try.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad results at all, Jules!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great for a teleconverted lens!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Jup-21 is an almost perfect lens to use with teleconverters.
It's high contrast - the highest I ever saw in a 200mm lens - makes it perfect for TC use because it will make up for the loss of contrast that is inherent to the TCs.
So as long as other typical TC problems (such as CA) don't get in the way, the output of J21 + TC is going to be a good one!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for your responses.

Orio,
My thoughts exactly. I used the J. 21-A because of the sharpness of the lens for the test.

I'm sure on less sharp lenses the results will be much softer. I'm going to try it on a few Takumars, the 135 and the 28 (which are pretty sharp) just to see the results.

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Shot with Tak 135 Reply with quote

Here's another shot with the standard TAK 135 (Not the super Tak or the S.M.C) and the 2X APS Autotele extender.

I tweaked the colors slightly as it is somewhat low contrast.

Jules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Jules! Really an impressive result Shocked
I have seen many tele converter images (of which I am no big fan), and I have to say that yours are those that would convince me better to buy one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Wow Jules! Really an impressive result Shocked
I have seen many tele converter images (of which I am no big fan), and I have to say that yours are those that would convince me better to buy one.

Thanks Orio,
I felt the same way and avoided them like the plague however when I saw the APS the first thing I noticed was the very good build quality so for $15 I thought I would try it. It just saved me a lot of money for a ~400mm long lens.

Again, it does lose one stop and lowers the contrast but does not ruin the picture.

Jules