Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Playing with more than 1 light
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Playing with more than 1 light Reply with quote

In the past,I only I use a single flash on the camera. Now, I want to venture into 2 or more flashes and studio light. Any good sites you will recommend? Also, do you usually shoot with more than 1 light source (not counting the ambient light)?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strobist.com is a good site.

i used to go with 3-4 flashes. one or two is more common in use.
i have cheapo ebay radio triggers/receivers on them. works great with 1/125 (at 1/180 with 90% correct)
colored gel is good to have for correction of light source or blend in ambient.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot primarily underground, so I'm an edge case, but there I use as many light sources as I can carry.

In more "sane" shooting, I use two flashes with a bit of lens tissue to diffuse the light a touch. YongNou RF-602 wireless triggers and a longer shutter speed when using the NEX-3, as it does not have any way of triggering the flashes, so I have to do it. This is on a "Y" type off camera bracket (Flash either side, camera in the centre). Even with an NEX it's big and bulky.

The same general "rules" apply as with normal flash photography, but now You have to mentally figure on 2 sets of annoying shadows, batteries, and the extra weight too.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
strobist.com is a good site.

How did I forget them. Thanks. The one will color gel usually is the one with less power ratio or should it be the other way round?

NewStuff wrote:
..... This is on a "Y" type off camera bracket (Flash either side, camera in the centre). Even with an NEX it's big and bulky.

Sounds complicated. So how do you trigger the flash? Are you using a NEX to normal ISO flash mount converter to connect the wireless transmitter? I also have a NEX 3.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
The one will color gel usually is the one with less power ratio or should it be the other way round?

that depends on what you want.
I shot with flash, but really don't want people to notice flash usage on photos.
but in some cases i like to have mix light source.

Also consider windows, existing light sources, existing/natural reflector like wall, white doors etc.
Personally, I like to use shadow to enhance the contour of a face by varying angles and strength of the light source.

Also found digitalprotalk.blogspot.com run by David Ziser good for portrait flash usages (last time i visit was 2010).
There were many youtube videos display the fundamentals of flash usages, but i can't recall where I have seen them.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check
http://sylarena.com/
http://pixsylated.com/blog/
as well as his Nikon counterpart
http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strobist and the 101 and 102 guides on that site are very good. I also like reading through David's Assignment articles where he's working to a brief. The Strobist group on Flickr is worth a look. I learned a lot from Dustin Diaz's 365:2009 set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/polvero/sets/72157611811908959/) and he's published some of these in his book This is Strobist Info: Your Setup Guide to Flash Photography which I have on my bookshelf.

The bible for this type of thing is Light, Science & Magic - there's no other lighting reference quite like it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
my_photography wrote:

Great use of flash in these portraits!

When shooting a person with flash, I like to shoot outdoors with the sun behind them and then front flash them on either TTL or manual. Love a CTO 1/4 gel on the flash as this softens most skin types.

If it's in the middle of the afternoon and the sun is directly above us, then I look for some shade (buildings of any kind are great for this) and then get my subject completely in the shade - this avoids any awkward light or shadow on the subjects face and creates even ambient light on them for me to add some flash too. If I can get away with manual flash at say 1/8 power or less, this is ideal so that I can maximize recycle time and take as many shots as I like in the moment while interacting with the subject.