Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Planar 1.2 85mm 60 Years - Cats & Dogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Planar 1.2 85mm 60 Years - Cats & Dogs Reply with quote

After looking for this lens for more than six months, I was able to find a very nice one, for a very decent price. I have to stop now for a while... but it won't get boring, hopefully Rolling Eyes
And thanks to Attila for your help, as I promised, first samples:

The very first picture @ f1.2

f1.2

f1.2

f2

f2

f2

f2

f2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A dream lens! Wow!
Look at these pics! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty awesome !! I can't wait to put high-res pictures to see in mflenses.com/gallery please put there also ! many thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These samples from a lens are the best I've ever seen in this forum ...

Congratulations on your lens ! And luckily this lens found a owner which uses it perfectly.

Cheers
Tobias

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Shocked

. . . . . . . . . . . . . Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! congrats for this dream lens! thanks for the nice samples

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
The depht of field is really huge, I'm impressed.

Hig-res pictures for the gallery are already on my list Wink

Here's another one, wide open - I don't get it... Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson - -wow ! That's the best lens in this world in f=85 -- nothing can beat it

Planar 1.2/85 is absolut ... in a price as well of course . Wink

tf

Last edited by trifox on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much Zeiss colour! Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... Carlsson you are teaming up what is my set of dream lenses... congratulations!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks friends!

Orio wrote:
Wow... Carlsson you are teaming up what is my set of dream lenses... congratulations!

Still drooling for a 2/135, 1.4/35 ... need to sell of a lot of other stuff before, maybe next century.
Damn, this MF-addiction is much stronger than anything else. Wink
Maybe we should move together - of course I would have to ask my wife before. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlsson wrote:

Still drooling for a 2/135, 1.4/35 ... need to sell of a lot of other stuff before, maybe next century.
Damn, this MF-addiction is much stronger than anything else. Wink
Maybe we should move together - of course I would have to ask my wife before. Laughing

Laughing
Well, compared to what you must have paid for the superwide Distagons and this 1.2 Planar 85, the sums needed for these two lenses are quite small... the Distagon 1.4/35 can be found for 300-400 Euros and the Planar 135, for 400-600 - depending on condition and on luck.

Actually, if you are seriously interested... I might even consider giving up my Planar 2/135. Have to think about it though... but for sure it could bring me some good needed money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a stellar lens - thanks for the samples Carlsson. I would almost go back to work to get one of those (maybe not).

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Well, compared to what you must have paid for the superwide Distagons and this 1.2 Planar 85, the sums needed for these two lenses are quite small... the Distagon 1.4/35 can be found for 300-400 Euros and the Planar 135, for 400-600 - depending on condition and on luck.

I know, but for the WAF (wife acceptance factor) a single lens looks much better than two Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speechless Sandy!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a couple of different 1.4 Planars now and your use of this 1.2 shows it is clearly a step up in the bokeh dept over its little brothers - thanks for sharing. Hopefully this formula will get another release at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
Hopefully this formula will get another release at some point.

I really doubt about it.
Superfast lenses were the trend fashion in the 70s.
I think that today only companies with the sales volume of Canon can still produce such lenses at non-totally-unreasonable prices.
I can't see Zeiss do that anymore. They don't have enough market and mostly they don't even have the production power to support the production of such élite lenses. They are holding back and delaying the release of the new Distagon 21 because they don't have enough production power to produce sufficient stock for the due date of release. They would never delay sellable lenses to use a production line for lenses that are likely to sell near to nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its rendering looks very similar to the Helios 40 in the images you posted, circular bokeh and some dizzyness. Is it just my impression?

Last edited by A G Photography on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
Its rendering looks very similar to the Helios 40 in the image you posted, circular bokeh and some dizzyness. Is it just my impression?

Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Orio, after the termination of contax slr cameras, things have changed for Zeiss.

Well, two new samples:

again f1.2 - thanks to the 5D's ISO 50 extension

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, today's technology has made the need of superfast lenses less urgent.
In the past, you would load your camera with say 100 ISO film, then had the need to shoot a night time portrait or scene without flash... maybe on a slide film that would allow for only half stop exposure error... and not wanting to unload incomplete film to load a different ISO film... so what would you do then? Superfast lens!
Today, in the same situation, the photographer would just change the ISO setting of his digital reflex to 1600 or 3200 ISO, and if not enough, he would still have two stops of room up or down the exposure value to play with in RAW processing.
This way, the need of superfast lenses has become practically irrelevant: a cheaper f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens would just do the job fine.
Today, the sole appeal of a f/1.2 lens is the super narrow DOF it delivers. It is therefore a uniquely aesthetical appeal, not a functional need. And there is very few photographers today that are ready to spend a fortune on a lens just because it delivers that narrower DOF: only the lens maniacs like us Laughing and perhaps a couple eccentric users, but not more.
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Also, today's technology has made the need of superfast lenses less urgent.
In the past, you would load your camera with say 100 ISO film, then had the need to shoot a night time portrait or scene without flash... maybe on a slide film that would allow for only half stop exposure error... and not wanting to unload incomplete film to load a different ISO film... so what would you do then? Superfast lens!
Today, in the same situation, the photographer would just change the ISO setting of his digital reflex to 1600 or 3200 ISO, and if not enough, he would still have two stops of room up or down the exposure value to play with in RAW processing.
This way, the need of superfast lenses has become practically irrelevant: a cheaper f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens would just do the job fine.
Today, the sole appeal of a f/1.2 lens is the super narrow DOF it delivers. It is therefore a uniquely aesthetical appeal, not a functional need. And there is very few photographers today that are ready to spend a fortune on a lens just because it delivers that narrower DOF: only the lens maniacs like us Laughing and perhaps a couple eccentric users, but not more.
-

As one who appreciates the aesthetic appeal, I guess I could be easily sold, but everything you've said makes perfect sense. I'll just have to enjoy these pics and let me lust be on this one Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
let me lust be on this one Smile

well, you have company! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

-

Exactly, my goal is the aesthetical approach, and yes, I would call myself a maniac, a lens maniac Wink

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
As one who appreciates the aesthetic appeal, I guess I could be easily sold, but everything you've said makes perfect sense. I'll just have to enjoy these pics and let me lust be on this one Smile

you're welcome Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the busy bokeh produced by fast lenses too much -- but I like fast lenses Smile -- split personality Smile

my view?

fast lens = indoor, low light, short distance (due to light fall-off), IMHO
normal lens = outdoor, long distance, IMHO again .. Smile

one benefit of the fast lens is GOOD RESISTANCE OF FLARE ..

-----these pictures of flowers are stunning anyway !!! Smile ----

Carlsson, can you do a test against the sun, please? Smile It will be appreciated Smile

thanks.. tf