Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PK/EOS adapter from Roxsen ....Pentax on EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: PK/EOS adapter from Roxsen ....Pentax on EOS Reply with quote

This morning I received the PK/EOS adapter from Roxsen so I took the 400D to the office to try out my only Pentax-M lens, the 1.7/50 kit lens from the ME Super. I've never been impressed with this lens using film. Sadly the day was very gloomy and cold, not ideal for lens-testing, but an unexpected visit to London was too good to miss.

Wide open, hand-held, ISO at 400 and shutter speeds 1/20 to 1/30, so I was expecting some movement blur. But the pics are better than I expected, certainly colour-wise, as the film shots have always seemed dull. More to follow after my next visit, when I have more time and hopefully better weather. BTW, you won't find this part of London in the travel brochures! Very Happy

[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice area.... poor you... In my experience most of 50mm lens perform quiet well I never seen any really crap from 50mm and 135mm lenses. I am glad you like your new toy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice contrast and resolution Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Peter!

Congratulations to your new adapter. This will bring joy to your place. Wink

The SMC M 1.7/50 is one of my favourite 50mm lenses! I think you will really start to like it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Carsten. I have the 50 1.7 on my MX it is a great lens. Of course I only shoot film in B+W. The color in these shots look quite good for flat light. Enjoy

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always nice to find a lens that beats expectations and those are very decent pics, especially given that grey light that London seems to thrive on. Know Ackney well - and you're right they dont let tourists in there. Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sharp lens, Peter. Please report about how the K-EOS adapter works for you. Sooner or later I will try one.

The major of Milan has placed very high financial fines against the people who dabble the walls of houses in the city - and she also decided that the jail prisoners can earn behaviour points* if they accept to work to clean the walls from the dabbling.

(* these might lead to better detention conditions, easier permissions, or even part time freedom or a reduction of the sentence in the best cases)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments. I know they're not spectacular shots but I thought you might enjoy seeing the high class graffiti we have here!

Whenever I go anywhere interesting these days I find myself seeing photo opportunities all over the place, like I never looked for them before. For the past 35 years or so almost my entire photographic output has been work-related, mainly of buildings and parts of buildings - not with any artistic thought, but just to make a visible record of the construction and decorative details and so on. Now, since joining the forum, I think I'm looking at things with a different eye, and it's got to be due to seeing everyone's knockout pictures here. I don't often comment on them because I don't feel I know enough yet, but I certainly do like looking at them. So well done to everybody and thankyou for educating me! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nice sharp lens, Peter. Please report about how the K-EOS adapter works for you. Sooner or later I will try one.

Well, I can tell you a little bit so far. Firstly, there's no problem with infinity focus - perfect I would say. However, there are a couple of minor problems.

With your recent accident in mind, the adapter has a springy clip that's supposed to lock onto the bayonet ears of the lens to stop it turning and falling off. The clip is not positioned correctly, so that it doesn't clear the bayonet and won't lock properly. It's simply poor design/workmanship and probably this would be better on a higher-quality adapter. The only way I can see of curing this is to trim a little off the end of the clip, or maybe bend it to make it slightly shorter, but neither of these is easy. However at present the lens fits quite tightly on the adapter and it takes much more effort to remove it than it does to adjust the focus or the aperture, so I don't feel there's much risk of this happening. It might become more loose of course when it's been worn down slightly.

The other thing, which is probably unavoidable because of the two different bayonet mounts, is that the lens is rotated about 45° from its usual position - the index mark is turned round towards the Canon's lens release button. It's not a major problem, it just feels weird.

Edit: The aperture lever on the K-mount lenses will probably clash with the mirror on your 5D. I don't know whether or not it can be adapted.

Last edited by peterqd on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
It's always nice to find a lens that beats expectations and those are very decent pics, especially given that grey light that London seems to thrive on. Know Ackney well - and you're right they dont let tourists in there. Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

This is in 'oxton, Patrick, very close to "The Bells of Shoreditch". There's actually a lot of interesting old 19C buildings still left around here, compared to the glitzy City or West End. I saw a beautiful little pub that was crying out to be snapped, but it was too dark by then. Also an old brick warehousey-looking building dated 1896, which originally was an early electricity-generating station. It's now used as a Circus school. I'll certainly be taking the camera when I visit again![/url]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, Peter. I love this lens, which I find better than the more famous 50/1.4. It is also very good for close-up or macro photography with the help of some extension tubes or bellows.

peterqd wrote:
The aperture lever on the K-mount lenses will probably clash with the mirror on your 5D. I don't know whether or not it can be adapted.

Yes, Pentax K lenses won't mount on my EOS 1DS unless I file down the aperture lever and its protection fin -- which I refuse to do. And I think the mirror on the EOS 5D protrudes even more than on the 1DS.

Cheers!

Abbazz