Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality 75mm f/3 mp lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality 75mm f/3 mp lens Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Pinkham & Smith Visual Quality 3 inch lens, made for the motion picture industry. The large-format P&S lenses are renowned for their pictorial soft-focus look.

The lens is stamped "Gillies Visual Quality"; I have found a reference stating that J. Wallace Gillies adapted the lens for the motion picture industry.

The lens is tiny, with ~34mm mounting threads. The seller claimed that this lens came from the collection of Joseph Walker, ASC, who was Frank Capra's cameraman. He filmed "It's a Wonderful Life", among many.

After several false starts, I finally managed to mount this lens in a gutted Nikon Series E 50mm lens body. Notice the "custom" lens shade and cap:

Here are some samples:

More in my soft-focus gallery.

Last edited by papah on Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pictorial" and "vintage" are perfect descriptions for the lens. Love the results. How does it look in color? Lots and lots of CA?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
"Pictorial" and "vintage" are perfect descriptions for the lens. Love the results. How does it look in color? Lots and lots of CA?

Thanks. CA?? See for yourself. I like the lens in color-- lots of smooth bokah:

The last one is a five-exposure HDR image, one stop bracketing.

I've added a Pinkham color gallery in the soft-focus section on my website.

I'm looking forward to some soft-focus "street" photography this summer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Bruce! I haven't even known that these short focal lengths for a PS were made once!!

Last edited by kds315* on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice.
I moved the thread to the Cine Lenses forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Very nice Bruce! I haven't even know that these short focal lengths for a PS were made once!!

Thanks, Klaus.

I'm now on the hunt for a Struss Pictorial in cine focal length. Very rare.

I did find a Graf Variable in a 5-1/2" focal length; they were made in 3-1/2"fl, but very few. Here is one from the Graf:

I thought of you recently when someone seriously outbid me for a Kalostat a few weeks ago on the big site? It sold for almost $1300, item #380235844756.

-Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Graf at your site, nice results that one delivers!

Yep, that Kalosat went through the roof, I gave up half way...but I I'm working at making my own one...

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1046872.html#1046872

Last edited by kds315* on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for showing this very interesting lens!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for sharing, I think it will be a very good 'extreme' portrait lens. Especially nice for wedding photographers I think.