Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pinhole Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a flickr friend who has used paper - and a 6 hour exposure!

It only took me 5 months to give the Holga 120 PWC a try - the thing is damn wide, wider than the sights on the camera would lead you to believe. Neopan 400, dregs of D-76, "6x9" mask. The exposures were in the 2.5-3 second range.

Danville memorial park by Nesster, on Flickr

Newport Marina, Jersey City, Hudson River by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ice results! More details and sharper then I expected.

Last edited by Minolfan on Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Holga is a surprise - not quite up there with the Zero Image, but a hell of a lot cheaper.

The thing is much wider than I thought - using the gun sights on the camera as a guide, I barely had the cannon 'in frame', I was maybe 6 feet from it. But the result is quite different. Had I known I'd have arranged things a bit better, e.g. the barrel not against the house in the background.

cannon by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that Newport marina pic, was wondering when we were going to see pics from that
camera!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Anyone entering? Reply with quote

Silverprint Pinhole Competition for Worldwide Pinhole Day 2012

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/contrast.asp

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2004826@N22/pool/

Deadline for entries: 15 June

There some nice entries already

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
Just to show what kind of image quality can be obtained with a 6x6 pinhole camera, good film (Fuji Neopan 100 Acros) and some post-processing, I increased the image size of my old Tallinn pinhole photos at http://galactinus.net/vilva/pinhole/tallinn_ph.html from 730 pixel wide to 960 pixel wide. The negatives were scanned at 2400 dpi with an Epson 4990 to yield about 28 Mpixel originals, which I down-sampled and sharpened. I also prepared 1200 pixel wide versions of three photos to show the potential even more clearly:

http://galactinus.net/vilva/pinhole/tallinn_ph_files/tallinn04_1200.jpg
http://galactinus.net/vilva/pinhole/tallinn_ph_files/tallinn07_1200.jpg
http://galactinus.net/vilva/pinhole/tallinn_ph_files/tallinn09_1200.jpg

These are rather wide angle shots, the nominal "focal length" is 25 mm, the real one is probably nearer to 28mm, i.e. about half of the frame width and height (56 mm x 56 mm). The FOV corresponds roughly to a photo taken with a 11-12mm lens on a full-frame 35 mm body and cropped to a square. The perspective is correct if the photos are viewed from a distance of half the image width.

Veijo

Awesome shots!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuild a old 6x6 medium format to a super wide pinhole camera.

Hers one of my best images from this camera

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I never managed with piholes was to avoid reflexion from the material the hole was drilled in. It is always a metal foil, so it will reflect light.
Anyone has an idea how to get the material I drill the hole in black?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galvanize it:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Beauty, Vermeer 66 (de luxe version)Very Happy

This is the de luxe version from the Vermeer 66 pinhole camera model, because the camera maker made from my wishes this pinhole model also zone plate camera with his replaceable adapter system. Very Happy

This Vermeer 66 uses 120-film and makes 6x6 pics.
Came with two adapters: Pinhole (F/170) and Zone Plate (15 clear zones) F/50.

Some Slideshow pics with this my Vermeer 66: http://jalbum.net/a/1351108

Vermeer pinhole camera site: http://www.cbruno.hostfast.eu//strona_eng/index.html

Edit: Updated here the missing Vermeer 66 pic back, and added also my Vermeer 66 slideshow pics link.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitchin pinhole par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Ondu pinhole camera, Ilford Pan F Plus.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ My word, that's good, womble Like 1 .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrowmore, Ireland. One of the many stone circles.

Carrowmore passage tomb No. 1 par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Easter Island par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use much post processing womble? I'm just a bit gobsmacked at the quality of these images. Way better than I thought pinhole cameras could produce.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Do you use much post processing womble? I'm just a bit gobsmacked at the quality of these images. Way better than I thought pinhole cameras could produce.

Kris is using a medium format body, which helps considerably.

I think sensor/film size makes even more difference with pinholes than it does for normal photography.

Good compositions, a good tripod & careful developing obviously helped too...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Kris is using a medium format body, which helps considerably.

I think sensor/film size makes even more difference with pinholes than it does for normal photography.

Good compositions, a good tripod & careful developing obviously helped too...

Thanks. That makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version of the Ondu I have can take 6x6, 6x9 or 6x12 images. I found that the extreme vignetting and distortion of the 6x12 wasn't to my liking and so I stick to 6x9. The different formats are the result of wooden baffles in the camera that you fit into the appropriate slots. I also found that if I put one baffle in a slot for 6x6, I get a 6x9 with a "rise" effect. The vignetting and distortion is not a problem when it is in the sky.

I don't have the facilities to develop at home and so I send them off to a lab for developing and a low resolution scan. For online use the scan is fine although they appear to "scan to the right" so I usually adjust the levels a little in Lightroom. If I want a higher resolution scan, I can do those at home.

On the whole, I am not so keen on colour images with the pinhole. Sometimes they work, but less often than B+W. Ilford Pan F Plus works well, as does the new Ortho Plus. I have just finished a roll of SFX most of which was shot with a deep red filter.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some examples with offset baffles.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
The version of the Ondu &etc...

Thank you, Kris.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took this for the "cameras" part of my website but I thought it would be good to post it here too.

Ondu pinhole par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
I took this for the "cameras" part of my website but I thought it would be good to post it here too. ...

S'verry nice Like 1 .

Do you need to take care with camera shake? I take it, I can see a sliding shutter control on the front.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another roll came back from the lab today. Here is one of them.

St Mary Magdalene, Caldecote (pinhole) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Helen's, Wheathampstead (I love photographing old churches). Ilford SFX200, red filter.

St Helens (pinhole) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity