Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pinhole body cap for EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Pinhole body cap for EOS Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this pinhole body cap for EOS:

Click here to see on Ebay

is available somewhere else than this shop?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,
What people use to do here is to drill a small hole in a body cap..
However this seems to be more elaborate...
Best regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the problem with drilling is that first, you have to be very good at that, because we are talking of nearly microscopic sizes; secondly, plastic of body caps is difficult to be drilled cleanly - it would leave fringes and these, as far as I know (maybe Veijo can correct me) would cause diffraction and important loss of image quality.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
yes, the problem with drilling is that first, you have to be very good at that, because we are talking of nearly microscopic sizes; secondly, plastic of body caps is difficult to be drilled cleanly - it would leave fringes and these, as far as I know (maybe Veijo can correct me) would cause diffraction and important loss of image quality.

That's right. What I did, is to drill a hole of about 0.5 cm diameter and then pinch a tiny hole with a hot needle into a frame of fully exposed slide film (which is nearly black). This frame I glued to the small hole in the body cap.

Well, it kind of worked, but not really... Even with a hole in film materiel you cannot be precise enough. It is good for a first try, though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you could try to find something like that and use that instead of the pinched slide film: Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using this one: Click here to see on Ebay

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
Veijo

I'll give it a try, Veijo - any feedback on it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I'll give it a try, Veijo - any feedback on it?

Well, a body cap is a body cap, and the pinholes are very clean, cleaner than the laser cut ones I've previously been using. The 0.25 mm pinhole diameter is best suited for relatively distant subjects.

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
The 0.25 mm pinhole diameter is best suited for relatively distant subjects.

Veijo

Why? I thought that the DOF in a pinhole camera was virtually infinite. Does it depend on the size of the aperture like a normal lens instead?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
vilva wrote:
The 0.25 mm pinhole diameter is best suited for relatively distant subjects.

Veijo

Why? I thought that the DOF in a pinhole camera was virtually infinite. Does it depend on the size of the aperture like a normal lens instead?

The DOF isn't quite infinite, the optimum pinhole diameter depends on the pinhole to subject distance - the nearer the subject, the smaller the diameter ought to be. However, in practice it makes relatively little difference unless the nearest subjects are within a few centimeters from the pinhole or even nearer. Excluding real macro photography, two diameters will be enough or even one compromise diameter. For an SLR body cap, the two diameters would generally be 0.25 mm for distant main subjects and 0.2 mm for main subjects at 10 - 50 cm. At 1-2 m, the difference between these two diameters is probably negligible.

Veijo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pinhole body cap for EOS Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Does anyone know if this pinhole body cap for EOS:

Click here to see on Ebay

is available somewhere else than this shop?

Henry's is a store I've dealt with for years - very reputable, and has been in business for many years. Many pros deal with them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pinhole body cap for EOS Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:

Henry's is a store I've dealt with for years - very reputable, and has been in business for many years. Many pros deal with them.

They do not accept Paypal and do not accept IBAN or any other kind of internationally standard bank transfer.
So they have chosen not to make business with me - not the other way around.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:

Veijo

As a very spontaneous decision, I bought one of those.
Very nice seller, very good communication, very fast shipping.
Great add-ons (Pinhole calculation and exposure calculation programms, microscopic picture you your personal pinhole!) and well packed.

The body cap pinhole seems to work (I did not have the time to try seriously...)

Thanks, Veijo.