Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PhotoSniper tripod adapt.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: PhotoSniper tripod adapt. Reply with quote

Added to this original post:
It occurred to me that some may ask why a tripod mount for a PhotoSniper?
Well, I was standing for about two hours the other day stalking a deer hoping the get that great photo. Hand holding even a light weight 200mm lens was very tiring. I let the camera down dor a moment to rest my arms, and bugger me, didn't the stag raise its head and bellow, steam coming out of its mouth. Naturally I missed the shot I was hoping for. I'm going back in a few days and intend to take the Sniper. A quick way of mounting it on a tripod, or monopod, would be great as I could rest it there and rest my old, aching arms.

I want to use my PhotoSniper both hand held and on a tripod. Options?

A: Remove the lens from the stock and screw the lens to the tripod, with an annoying adapter.

B: Modify the stock and put a 1/4" socket underneath.

I was going to mod the stock - something I didnt want to do but a friend whom I asked to weld a nut to the stock said it may damage it.

I wondered about using some sort of vice to hold the lens in position then I remembered I have a heavy duty camera clamp, usually used when photographing from a bird hide. It is a Manfrotto super clamp of 80's vintage. You can pick them up on ebay for less than £20. A worthwhile investment anyway. It also makes a good counterbalance for a boom arm as its very heavy.

The 1/4" screw stud comes out and on the top are a trio of tripod sockets. Perfect, use it upside down on the tripod and clamp the 'sniper to it. 3 or 4 seconds to take it on or off. The clamp will also attach to the top of light stands. Very flexible.

it over hangs the centre of the tripod, this is due to the shape of the clamp. Nevertheless on my beast of a tripod its rock solid.

Last edited by philslizzy on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great clamps, so versatile. I have drilled and tapped a 1/4 thread on the end of the jaw on mine, which I find useful.

I found my clamp, with a crappy digi compact on it, on a hillside. I think it had fallen off a hang glider. Laughing

Your friend is right, welding cast alloy is a lottery. The slightest touch could blow a giant hole in it - or it could weld perfectly. The bit problem is, how do you find out?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. First, I must know, were there any photos in the crappy digital camera?

I have made an adaptor out of a straight flash bracket. Basically I just bent it into an elongated C. It just slips onto the sniper stock. Initially it was made to fit into the clamp so the camera is held straight rather than at an angle. Then I realised it can be used directly on the tripod as the flash bracket has a tripod socket.

I could make a mark 2 version, shorter with no sticking out on the right.

I needed to grind out a depression in the top of the bracket to accommodate the bulge on the bottom of the lens. That was done and when the lens is screwed on, its rock solid. I guess I could drill a hole in the top of the adaptor over the screw hole in the top plate of the stock. And use a slightly longer screw to hold it in place. It could sit there permanently.

I put a leather strip on the inside bottom of the bracket to protect the paint work and re-glued a strip of the original rubber grip back inside the bracket for the same purpose. It had to be thinner than the leather.

The tripod socket is just off centre which is good as the tripod screw can go further in, and even through it without jamming up against the stock. You can see the bulge on the last photo.

As it is, it is perfect for my needs. A further refinement would be a small quick release plate. I use ancient Manfrotto ones and they are massive, getting in the way of your focusing hand.

The flash bracket bent to shape. The rivet holding the shoe was ground off

Slid onto the stock. Notice the depression ground into the bracket.

Clamped between the lens and the stock. The bulge under the lens fitting into the ground depression

Mounted on the clamp,

Or used on its own