Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Photokina 2014
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Photokina 2014 Reply with quote

Hi!

I will have the chance to go there on Wednesday.
Keep your fingers crossed that I can find the time to write a little report for you guys. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky guy, sure I hope you will find time to tell us about it!
..first news come out, Samsung NX1, Lumix LX100, yes Nikon D750 and Canon 7D II, the Canon G7 possibly using the Sony sensor of the RX100III and 'outspeccing' it..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PK14 is too big to see everything.
I will concentrate on Leica, Fuji, Olympus (for a friend of mine), Nikon and some others.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in Köln from Tuesday evening until Friday evening, PM me for my mobile number and let's grab a few Kölsch, staying in Altstadt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember your last report,looking forward to seeing this years report,and thanks for taking the time to do it. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to your report. I enjoy reading your reports from the past. Perhaps, out of curiosity, you might also want to get hold of the new Optus 85?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I'm also in Köln from Tuesday evening until Friday evening, PM me for my mobile number and let's grab a few Kölsch, staying in Altstadt

Sorry, I just was there from 10am to 4pm - and had to leave early. Sad

Next time, ok? In 2016!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a very short first impression for now: it was highly interesting! But way too much to see in just one day. In 2016 I will be there for two days at least.

I was able to meet Michael (Borges). The ones who have been here for a little longer will surely remember him.

Report will follow, probably at the weekend. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The report in German (in my blog) is online:

http://retrocameracs.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/photokina-2014/

Now, I need the time to translate it. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Carsten!
So I do not visit Sonys booth tomorrow - don´t spend valuable time for them.

I take normaly two days for my Photokina visit, but this year likely only one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, wait, Pentax might have their first new full-frame lens on display, and you didn't see it? AGH! That's too bad that you didn't make it there. I was really looking forward to the Pentax report.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much to see for one day. Sad

I will never get the chance to get two days off. But next time (in 2016) I will go there on Friday and Saturday - two days in a row, because I drive 2 1/2 hrs to Cologne.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider-Kreuznach was very very very interesting to me. For Canon or Nikon full-frame, the TS-E/PC-E lenses are by far inferior to what Schneider has to offer in terms of optical quality & independent seamless controllability for tilt and shift. On Friday, they also announced new lenses designed for DLSRs with the largest sensors on the market:

The three new lenses are as follows; Xenon 35mm f/1.6, Xenon 50mm f/1.4 and the Macro Symmar 85mm f/2.4. The Xenon 1.6/35 mm and Xenon 1.4/50 mm lenses are equipped with an electronic interface to the camera and a mechanical automatic iris for Nikon cameras. The Macro Symmar on display with an 85 mm focal length and a maximum aperture of 2.4 has a motorized iris and an electronic interface for the Canon EOS system. The automatic aperture function is driven exclusively by the camera.

The lenses will all be available for Canon EOS and Nikon F systems.

Also cine lenses which seem very potent:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/schneider-kreuznach-announce-new-lenses-and-filters-at-photokina-2014--26230

Nikon already has upgraded half of the G-series primes to deliver what D800/D800E/D810 sensors (and future 50mpix sensors require) and Canon is in the process as well. It seems that not only Canon and Nikon believe kinoformat will rival medium format in sensor sizes, you don't launch SLR lenses like Otus or the Schneider stuff unless you intend to deliver (or attain) future position on the market.

I spent three full days and imho I think two full days is minimum to really visit everything that interests you. To visit everything, you'd need 4-5 days. If your interest is only in what a few manufacturers have then you can do it in one day. I don't recommend the Fri-Sat-Sun for visits, clearly Tue-Wed-Thu is mostly pros and retailers (and less people overall) so you benefit from less visitors and less crowded booths (as well as rested and motivated booth staff Laughing )

I will post more of my impressions later, including medium format which interests me most. Too bad Leica S controls and menus require a tranquilising dart for useage, Mamiya/Leaf PhaseOne and Hasselblad a little better but still not on the same level as Pentax 645Z (best buttons, control ergonomics and menu/firmware).

#daswesentliche ie. Leica was a fantastic (and huge) booth, including the Galerie and guest keynotes. More on that later

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news of a followup on the 5D Mark III any time soon?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No news on 5d MkIII successor, but a NYSE quoted stock company isn't going to give future roadmaps for booth staff to spill out anyway...

Profoto product representant had no problem telling that high speed sync will be made available on the B1 "with next firmware update" but they are a smaller company.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
No news on 5d MkIII successor, but a NYSE quoted stock company isn't going to give future roadmaps for booth staff to spill out anyway...
Profoto product representant had no problem telling that high speed sync will be made available on the B1 "with next firmware update" but they are a smaller company.

Yes, logical. For smaller companies, leaks at major photoshows are a free way of promotion.

Nikon and Canon are behaving in an opposite way. Nikon is releasing a major full frame camera every year or even less.
This may upset owners of previous model as it devalues the investment, but for professional users, it is very good,
because they have a chance to update their camera with a latest model every year or so.
This means that if a major job assignment is offered, it is possible to meet it with the latest technology without having to invest in
years old models that are going to be severely outperformed with the next release.

Canon is stuck on the 6D (lowest, amateur full frame line, Photokina of 2012) and does not move. The most popular full frame camera line for professionals (5D) does not advance since even longer.
I need to update my camera (the 5D Mark II is 6 years old, which is an era in digital cameras) for professional reason, because what it delivers in high ISO
is not competitive anymore, but I don't want to spend on a model that is already 2,5 years old as the Mark III.
So I am stuck with the Mark II and I don't know for how long more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The report in German (in my blog) is online:

http://retrocameracs.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/photokina-2014/

Now, I need the time to translate it. Wink

thank you for your very informativ and also personal account of your visit Carsten!
Your focus on customer service makes it unique, it should become compulsory reading for everyone running a booth, and the next Photokina would be much better again

( I had wanted to and tried to comment on your blog, but the site isn't loading sufficiently, there is a problem with internet these days, for comments to work )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

( I had wanted to and tried to comment on your blog, but the site isn't loading sufficiently, there is a problem with internet these days, for comments to work )

It actually worked. Thanks. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Canon is stuck on the 6D (lowest, amateur full frame line, Photokina of 2012) and does not move. The most popular full frame camera line for professionals (5D) does not advance since even longer.
I need to update my camera (the 5D Mark II is 6 years old, which is an era in digital cameras) for professional reason, because what it delivers in high ISO
is not competitive anymore, but I don't want to spend on a model that is already 2,5 years old as the Mark III.
So I am stuck with the Mark II and I don't know for how long more.

Yes, very true. And they behave similarly with the 1x.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
kuuan wrote:

It actually worked. Thanks. Wink

oh, good, thank you. Just saw that it did go through, first version with spelling mistakes, tried others later but never could verify if any had been posted, unfortunately never have been able to see the photos yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Schneider-Kreuznach was very very very interesting to me. ....
The three new lenses are as follows; Xenon 35mm f/1.6, Xenon 50mm f/1.4 and the Macro Symmar 85mm f/2.4. The Xenon 1.6/35 mm and Xenon 1.4/50 mm lenses are equipped with an electronic interface to the camera and a mechanical automatic iris for Nikon cameras. The Macro Symmar on display with an 85 mm focal length and a maximum aperture of 2.4 has a motorized iris and an electronic interface for the Canon EOS system. The automatic aperture function is driven exclusively by the camera.

Those Schneider lenses are quite interessting, but they are no real news.
They were announced 2012 - but even one of the Schneider people there did not remind this.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1149745
And we still have to wait ~half a year until they probably will be avialable.
From my first short images with their cameras (not allowed to take pictures with own camera) the Macro lens prototype seems better than the 35mm/1.6

Esox lucius wrote:

#daswesentliche ie. Leica was a fantastic (and huge) booth, including the Galerie and guest keynotes. More on that later[i]

I was again impressed how many photos they show.
I would not visit the Photokina to see photos, but some of those images at the Leica booth are really good.
I like it much that the not only show new images, but also older ones.