Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Photokina 2008
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to see the report. Well done, Carsten. Lotsa thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Ah, one more thing:

If you ever get the chance (and the money) to buy this cam, go for it!
I have never seen such an excellent and bright viewfinder (and I have used a Leica M3 and M6TTL once).

With this Zeiss RF, I had the impression that the view through the viewfinder was brighter than the real view I had! Shocked

What I don't like at Zeiss Ikon RF is the place where is the rewind lever (on the bottom plate). Truth is I don't like any cameras with any controls underneath. That unlocking rewind button is enough (I like more the Zenit solution to this).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm saving for the Contax R-series....but that Zeiss Ikon is tempting too... Razz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK gentlemen, here is a really professional report. This guy has spent several days (!) at the Photokina and got really close:

http://www.dfarkas.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carsten for the link.
That review is full of information, but yours really made me feel like being there, so I still vote for yours!! Smile

There is a very interesting bit of information reg. the new Zeiss ZE lenses.
I quote from original text:

Quote:
Also learned they are slightly different optical formulas (than ZF lenses for Nikon). The low pass filters used in Canons are quite different than those in Nkons, so the lens design had to be modified to properly focus on the Canon sensor.

So it seems that for a Canon user, it will not be the same to buy a ZE lens or it's ZF equivalent.

I find it very interesting that Zeiss changed the optical scheme to fit the Canon cameras at best.

If anything else, it shows one basic difference that runs between them and other generic lens makers: care.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
If anything else, it shows one basic difference that runs between them and other generic lens makers: care.

Very true, Orio!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This news will cause me to consider a camera controlled aperture for the first time Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten
I have been away for a few days and this is the first thread I went to = terrific presentation and thank you for spending so much time putting it together

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Photokina 2008 Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent show report! Very helpful, nice photos, links to high res versions. Great.

LucisPictor wrote:

They had very friendly staff there as well. Wink

Shot with the brand new stabilized Tamron 18-270.

Next, I went to Tokina and tested the 16-50. They had a small stand and were not very friendly.

Tokina 16-50 @18mm

Male booth bunnies, what were they thinking! Very unfreindly.

LucisPictor wrote:
Then I came to one of the biggest stand of all: Sony. My target here was the Alpha900. When I had shot some pics with it, I thought: "Wow! What a fantastic cam!" It really feels like a pro cam and the viewfinder is amazing, absolutely amazing! I think it seems brighter than the one of the 5D. ...
Today, when I had a look at the Alpha shots, I was put back to reality: the ISO1000 performance of the copy I had is not as good as I have expected from a full frame cam. The Zeiss lens is excellent without discussion.

Nikon was widely expected to put this 24MPx sensor into a D3-upgrade body. Indeed they shipped a D3 firmware update at one point which mentioned this resolution ...

I see that Nikon evaluated, and rejected, this sensor. Sony needs to improve it befoe Nikon will use it:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=29576144
and
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=29580081

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Photokina 2008 Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Thanks for the excellent show report! Very helpful, nice photos, links to high res versions. Great.

My pleasure. I mean, really!

ChrisLilley wrote:

Laughing " booth bunnies" - never have heard that before.

ChrisLilley wrote:
I see that Nikon evaluated, and rejected, this sensor. Sony needs to improve it befoe Nikon will use it:

No wonder.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Photokina 2008 Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

ChrisLilley wrote:

Laughing " booth bunnies" - never have heard that before.

booth bunny (BOOTH bun.ee) n. A model hired to work in a company's booth during a trade show.

Apparently the term originated from this sort of bunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Photokina 2008 Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

Apparently the term originated from this sort of bunny

I suddenly developed an interest for rodents!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Wink