Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Photobucket has turned to the Dark Side!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Photobucket has turned to the Dark Side! Reply with quote

They're now loaded with advertisements.
Pop-ups, sound-forced, screen-delimiting, overlays, the list goes on.
It's an abomination.

I always liked them previously, because they always passed EXIF out to the viewer, much unlike
so many other free hosters.

As of a few months ago, Photobucket is now making it almost impossible to even login
to the site, and is forcing users to click out of advertisements which literally interfere with
just finding your way around your own stuff. They're now demanding US $400/year
just for the 'privelege' of direct-linking photos/pics to forums such as this fine one.

I, for one, will have nothing of it.

I have been downloading my stuff, one item at a time, very slowly,
for several days. I'm saving it all to the same structure I had on Photobucket,
which will be of help to me when I upload to another host. When my accounts
are downloaded, I intend to delete everything and close my accounts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Photobucket has turned to the Dark Side! Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
They're now demanding US $400/year
just for the 'privelege' of direct-linking photos/pics to forums such as this fine one.
I have a paid account for 10 years now, for 20$ or so, specifically for unlimited direct-linking (which was included in that progam). It used to be important for me, as I sold a lot of stuff online, nowadays it's more the convenience of having some online albums.
Now they changed their pricing, they can stick it up their......

PS - this has been going on for a while already.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Photobucket has turned to the Dark Side! Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
PS - this has been going on for a while already.

I knew that, but I hadn't visited my accounts for a long time.
I've recently discovered how deep the rift has gone.

This business model is sure to fail.
I can only liken it to a radio station I listened to years ago, when they started broadcasting
something like "It's Coming..."
They changed from Album Rock, to Country format, after giving us a 24-hour period to
listen to everything from classical opera, to hard rock, to dischordant jazz, to top-40,
to easy listening, to heavy metal, elevator music, grunge, acid rock, and everything in-between.

There's something going on over at Photobucket, and it's certainly not in favor
of the users who have been with them.

Download all you've got, and get out as soon as you can, that's my advice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with all the hosting sites that are out there. But I'm thinking that Flickr might be the best way to go for now. I have a Pro account over there, which is very affordable: $49.99 a year or $5.99 a month. At my level of participation over there, I dunno if I'm really getting any benefit from having a Pro membership, but I've got it in case I need it.

Another economical option is to reserve your own URL (prices vary, I'm paying about $15 a year) and go with a web hosting service. My service gives me a huge amount of file space and lots of bandwidth for $6 a month. I've had the same hosting service for almost 20 years. About the only thing I use my website for is image storage -- so I can post images to sites like this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given up the ghost with Photobucket. Reading your post just reminded me of what a trial it has become. I've tried Flickr. Thanks for reminding me cooltouch.

Well, that was easy. Join, upload a random pic, and share. That was about 15 mins to work it all out.

Hope you don't mind too much me using your thread to test, SkeddAddled. It seemed apt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned of another free image hosting service. 16MB limit, though. Check it out:

http://imgbb.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got about 14 or 15 folders/subfolders left on Photobucket,
and some of it won't be downloaded, as it's just fluff.

The secondary account is far less loaded, so that'll take less time.

They're shooting themselves in the foot.
Who wants this crap, and who's going to pay US $400/year
for the 'priveledge' of what they used to offer?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I just learned of another free image hosting service. 16MB limit, though. Check it out:

http://imgbb.com/

Wow, Michael. 16Mb is about what I shoot in five minutes. Exclamation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is true, but when you think about how images are typicallty downsized for posting on the 'net, it's not so bad. Figure an average of 200k per image, then that's 80 images that can be stored there.

I dunno, but I'm figuring that they must have a subscription plan as part of their business model.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bis 16 MB Bildgröße.

..means 16MB per image, which is OK actually.

..and go here for nice how-to:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=2040131

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Yeah, this is true, but when you think about how images are typicallty downsized for posting on the 'net, it's not so bad. Figure an average of 200k per image, then that's 80 images that can be stored there.

Even if a hundred, it doesn't get me there.
I still have around 10 folders/subfolders to download, and I'm already at 120MB across around 70
folders/subfolders with 1182 files I want to keep. I've already resampled them before uploading, down to 720px max width,
with over 200 pictures left to bring back home from just the primary account.
I'd rather not find, re-edit, resample, save, then re-upload them again.
The secondary account probably holds far fewer
in numbers, but I'd really like to get it all back online again in order to restore some of the borked
forum links and other such nonsense.

You previously mentioned webhosting for around $15/year; would you care to share out who you're with?
This seems a much more attractive option, if I can find an inexpensive host which accepts yearly, rather
than monthly, payments.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
Bis 16 MB Bildgröße.

..means 16MB per image, which is OK actually.

..and go here for nice how-to:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=2040131

Your link displays a motorcycle forum.
It's a very busy read; I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
You previously mentioned webhosting for around $15/year; would you care to share out who you're with?
This seems a much more attractive option, if I can find an inexpensive host which accepts yearly, rather
than monthly, payments.

Okay, just in case you aren't aware, there are two basic steps to having your own website: registering a Domain Name and signing up with a hosting service. These two processes don't normally intersect, although they can with sites like Godaddy, for example.

So with a Domain Name registration service, typically you will reserve a unique name (e.g. .com .net .org .tv, etc.) and for that they will charge you an annual fee. But to have an actual website, that requires that you go with a hosting service. Most hosting services charge by the month, but if you would rather pay annually, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

There is rather a large variety of Domain Name registration services these days. I use Godaddy (http://godaddy.com). It's not the cheapest, but for $15 a year, they reserve exclusive rights to my domain to me for a year. Cheaper if muliti-year deals are made.

Again, there are a great many hosting services around. (Godaddy is one, in fact. Nothing like one-stop shopping.) I've been using Top Class Host since about 1996 or so. During this entire time, except for the very rare hiccup, TCH has had one catastrophic server crash where all my data online was lost (fortunately I had almost all of it backed up on my home PC), but because of that failure they gave me free hosting for like a year. That was like 8 or 10 years ago, so I reckon they learned their lesson. So they've done right by me. You can find them at http://topclasshost.com/. I'm signed up for the $5.95 per month account. 6 gigs of online storage, 100 gigs of data transfer per month. Eh, it's enough for my needs.

Now, I'm sure there are many other hosting services out there who provide just as good deals, perhaps better. I just don't happen to know of any besides godaddy off hand.

OK, so now that you've reserved yournamehere.com and you've setup a site with a hosting service, next all you have to do is come up with CONTENT! Ah, what fun! Good luck!

At a minimum, you're gonna need some FTP (file transfer protocol) software. Filezilla and WinSCP are both good. And you'll need at a minimum a text editor that will translate basic typed text or commands into HTML (or more). There's a freeware program out there called Komposer that does a good job, and I'm sure there are many others. Armed with these two pieces of freeware you can actually structure your website and begin to produce content. Also be sure to check out the free stuff your hosting service provides. At my website, for example, when you click on "Photographer" it takes you to a gallery of images. The software that is hosting my gallery came free with my website.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also had to change from photobucket. pbase also removed my testshots showing Horizon 202 versus S3pro(google what i have found, S3pro-lens not sharp at f16.
Here are my two providers-both free:
http://www.picfront.org/d/8BVG
only the comments can only be seen when logged in. thats why i repeated my messages endlessly. and no chance to edit nor deleting them.... weird! maybe one day they will wake-up.

www.stereopan.tk imagebanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

europanorama wrote:
Here are my two providers-both free:
http://www.picfront.org/d/8BVG
www.stereopan.tk

Yes, but both of these services appear to be the sort where a person
anonymously uploads for sharing, much like several other services.

I'm not interested in that, nor do I expect would a large many of others here.
I wish to have much more control of my uploads, like being able to add & remove,
rename albums, share out as I choose, etc.

I'd much rather log-in to a designated account, in order to manage my own
images and activity. This is a more secure and finite way for me to share,
rather than uploading to a 'cloud' service which I have no way to oversee.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Jalbum.
I find it's a great way to share pictures by making an online album.
I don't know how they manage to host so much pictures uploaded in high quality, resulting in so few storage size.
It's very easy to use, adaptable, and finally, their prices are good for me.

Really you should try it.
https://jalbum.net/en/;jsessionid=1eedp3ibqbcnr3efs67ivofty?t=4643

Til the end of february, there's a 20% rebate on licences and storage accounts with this code : STW1802

Personally, I have a Premium account with 10 GB storage, for 17€ (21 US$).