Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

photo ninja
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: photo ninja Reply with quote

http://www.picturecode.com/index.php

Anyone tried photo ninja before?[/b][/i]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Noise Ninja occasionally but didn't know about this one.
I don't think I'll be tempted because Lightroom has it all covered.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briefly tested it. I am astonished how well it handles my NEF files from my D2H compared to LR3.6 Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Briefly tested it. I am astonished how well it handles my NEF files from my D2H compared to LR3.6 Shocked

What do you mean by how well it handles the files? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Lightroom has it all covered.

It does, but some of the modules in this new Ninja appear to do the job very cleverly.
If there's a demo, I will try it. I am a registered user of Ninja Pro Bundle and this entitles me to a small discount.
If worth, I may sidegrade.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
stingOM wrote:

What do you mean by how well it handles the files? Smile

I can't export the files as I don't have a trial licence to show you. Let me try by take screenshots of the result - LR3.6 vs. Photo Ninja.

I guess, my point is it renders the NEF Raw so well that I am astonished how much detail I am getting from my 4 MB sensor! May be Nikon NX is just as good, but it is extremely slow to run. Photo Ninja is no where as refined as LR, but I really liked its simplicity. It runs slower than LR as well on my very old Dell Dimension 5000.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.

ISO 200
Nikkor AIS 105mm f2.5, @f2.5
D2H

#1 Gives you a perspective of the entire photo

#2 LR3.6 - the best possible "look" I can achieve on my calibrated Dell LCD Monitor.
To me this still looks very mushy. I blamed it on the 4 MB sensor and obviously I am totally wrong! Shocked

#3 Photo Ninja

These are just screen captures. So I don't know what it will actually look like in the final exported image.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute doggies Very Happy

What I am most curious to try of Ninja Photo is the Moustache distortion correction tool. That does not exist yet in any other software that I know of.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Cute doggies Very Happy

What I am most curious to try of Ninja Photo is the Moustache distortion correction tool. That does not exist yet in any other software that I know of.

Thanks Orio.

Yeah Orio. The Geometric correction tool is the easiest to use tool I have ever seen so far in a program.

Send them a mail to get a trail code. I just got it now.
support1 "at" picturecode.com.

Last edited by stingOM on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to be sure from a screen capture but the second one looks to have more sharpening applied. Maybe that's just the default settings in Photo Ninja. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
It's difficult to be sure from a screen capture but the second one looks to have more sharpening applied. Maybe that's just the default settings in Photo Ninja. Smile

I think you are right there. But at least it looks better so far. I could not get the same look in LR. It is making me rethink about deleting all those photos! Very Happy

BTW, sharpening in LR is already set to a decent level with clarity at 25%. Need to double check again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I have exported the output from each into JPEGs.

To my eyes, the colour rendering is more natural and neutral in LR. Sharpness looks similar, but with Photo Ninja I can push it a lot further than LR3.6. To achieve the same level of sharpening in LR, I had to set to 90% which is very high in my view. In Photo Ninja, the setup is different so it is difficult to directly compare the settings.

Some more info here on the "detail" slider:
http://www.picturecode.com/tutorials/detail_enh.php

Also, you will notice that the recovered highlights are filled in with a "false" blue colour, whereas LR left it alone. Or maybe Photo Ninja is just much better at recovering highlights. I am not sure.

Contrast and lack point is set up differently, but I think Photo Ninja rendered it much better.

Goto: File -> download to get the full res image.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4mhAog_f4TvMXp3dVZtRGI3aG8
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4mhAog_f4TvNnFSMmhwVkR6cUU

Last edited by stingOM on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason for Nikon shooters to use Photo Ninja?
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11676-12555

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use photo ninja to process my RAW from X-pro1, in fact Noise Ninja is the pre-version of Photo Ninja, which added more useful RAW processing methods in it, I doubt it should have pre-processed my Xpro1 RAW because I found the color is more comfortable than other RAW processing softwares, nowadays I just use this one to translate RAW to JPG directly with some sharpening and detailing steps.