Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Photax Paragon 135mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Photax Paragon 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

First my apologies for the English.
I found this cheap lens, and I was surprised that this lens is quite good.



More sample photos of this lens >> [url]goo.gl/3X4cqW[/url]


PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting...I have an Auto Super Paragon 135 / 2.8 - M42 screw mount - that is also a very good lens and looks very much like yours, the only big difference is the DoF markings and the focus mark. Mine is typical Cimko with the unequal green diamond and yours has the red elongated rectangle with the red dot inside it, which I think might be early Tokina - maybe Sun ?

but whoever made it, if it's as good as mine you will enjoy it.


PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just visited your blog to see the other images and they are indeed impressive.
The old saying that it is difficult to find a bad 135mm lens, is pretty true.
Your other 135's also show good results - perhaps the photographer may have something to do with it as well.
Well done
Thanks for sharing
OH


PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: photax -Paragon Reply with quote

I have the equiv 300mm. Interesting because its f5 rather than the usual 5.6. Impeccable construction suggests this was a more up market lens - even the focus grip is milled metal rather than rubber. And I have seen a matching 200mm on evilbay, also a 28mm and a 35mm and a zoom or two so clearly there was a range sold under this banner.

Optically it was IMO pretty good but not as good as my tamron 54B particularly wide open - prone to fringing/"glow". I have no idea who the manufacturer might have been.



PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's interesting...I have an Auto Super Paragon 135 / 2.8 - M42 screw mount - that is also a very good lens and looks very much like yours, the only big difference is the DoF markings and the focus mark. Mine is typical Cimko with the unequal green diamond and yours has the red elongated rectangle with the red dot inside it, which I think might be early Tokina - maybe Sun ?

but whoever made it, if it's as good as mine you will enjoy it.


mine is 58mm filter size


PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is 55mm as well. It's a nice compact lens, and very well made. I used it a lot and got good results with it.





PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: photax -Paragon Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
I have the equiv 300mm. Interesting because its f5 rather than the usual 5.6. Impeccable construction suggests this was a more up market lens - even the focus grip is milled metal rather than rubber. And I have seen a matching 200mm on evilbay, also a 28mm and a 35mm and a zoom or two so clearly there was a range sold under this banner.

Optically it was IMO pretty good but not as good as my tamron 54B particularly wide open - prone to fringing/"glow". I have no idea who the manufacturer might have been.



The Paragon and Super Paragon lenses were imported and sold in the UK by the now-defunct company Photax Ltd. 'Paragon' was a registered trade-mark of Photax, and I've always assumed that the brand was specific to the UK. But perhaps not - or maybe some have migrated in recent times thanks to eBay . . .

Super-Ps were auto iris, Ps were pre-set. These were very much budget-price lenses - around half the price of the equivalent Tamron models, for instance - but they were well reviewed in the Uk photo press. Seeing that Photax was a relatively small advertiser across the then photo journals, this was probably a fair indication that they were actually good rather than the not entirely unusual white-washing of the big-spenders' products. They came with a 5-year warranty and the range included various zooms, although no extreme wide angles or super-speeds. Nor can I remember a mirror lens.


PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Photax Paragon 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

riocwirawan wrote:
I found this cheap lens, and I was surprised that this lens is quite good.


Dear All,

I found this one online for a very good price, but I don't know if it fits my Sony Alpha camera.

The seller says it needs an adapter, but I don't know what adapter.

Could somebody help, please?

Looking forward to your kind reply.

Greetings,

AL


PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Photax Paragon 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

al1985 wrote:
riocwirawan wrote:
I found this cheap lens, and I was surprised that this lens is quite good.


Dear All,

I found this one online for a very good price, but I don't know if it fits my Sony Alpha camera.

The seller says it needs an adapter, but I don't know what adapter.

Could somebody help, please?

Looking forward to your kind reply.

Greetings,

AL


It depends on the mount this lens has. I am not sure but I think only M42 screw mount lenses can be adapted to Sony Alpha mount with a proper adapter.


PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Photax Paragon 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

riocwirawan wrote:
Hello everyone,

First my apologies for the English.
I found this cheap lens, and I was surprised that this lens is quite good.


More sample photos of this lens >> [url]goo.gl/3X4cqW[/url]


Could be a part of Mitake series: http://forum.mflenses.com/the-story-of-mitake-t64648.html