Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Petri C.C.Auto 55/1.8 goes UNDER THE KNIFE!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Petri C.C.Auto 55/1.8 goes UNDER THE KNIFE! Reply with quote

While sifting through the lenses I can't use, I came across a Petri C.C.Auto 55/1.8, the kit lens for some Petri SLR's. The aperture is stuck wide open. Except for that, this solid lens appears to be in great shape. It was free, and it is worthless, and I might as well try to convert it to a Pentax K-mount. That should be easy: remove the bayonet, cut away the protruding rim, and screw-down a flanged M42-PK adapter.

BUT... the bayonet is curious. Three lugs, with a screw hole in the middle of each. Flathead screws in two of those; removal is easy. But from the third hole, next to a red-marked index notch, a pin emerges, and that section of the bayonet shows no signs of coming loose. Only two other flathead screws are visible, one on the aperture ring, and one next to the A-M switch, and I am reluctant to remove those now.

Has anyone here disassembled this or any other Petri lens? I have searched for information but can find none. At worst, I could use a Dremel to cut off the bayonet, but I would rather try less drastic measures first. I am open to suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens butchering are not supported here Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are certainly plenty of lens mount conversions here, but reversible conversions will always be more accepted.

Is there any way to remove the entire Petri base before attaching your M42-PK adapter, such that the cutting/dremeling is not required, and the lens can be restored to its original Petri mount in the future? Question

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Lens butchering are not supported here Rolling Eyes

When butchering, I go WHOLE HOG!! Twisted Evil But I probably wouldn't resort to surgery if there were any chance of using that lens otherwise. Even on a Petri camera, the iris still wouldn't close.

Scheimpflug wrote:
Is there any way to remove the entire Petri base before attaching your M42-PK adapter, such that the cutting/dremeling is not required, and the lens can be restored to its original Petri mount in the future? Question

Possibly. After a bit of fun HACKING & SLASHING & SLICING & DICING & GLUE-SNIFFING, what I finally did was 1) remove the three screws holding the Petri base cap, and pull that cap, and 2) SuperGlue a cheap Bower-type infinity-focus M42-PK adapter directly to the body base. That glue bond could probably be broken without much trouble, so the base cap *could* be replaced.

Possibly not. As I said, the aperture on this lens didn't function. It's been a few days now so my memory is shot, but I think I unhooked the aperture linkage. Re-attaching the tiny springs could be very tricky. Anyway, I documented the project here (imperfectly).

Don't worry, I won't go out of my way to find more Petri lenses to chop up. Not when I have so many FD-mount lenses to torture and abuse...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you not use of your other lenses and let this lens to go for those people who is looking for it ? I found sometimes very rare lenses like CZJ Tessar 12cm brass SLR lens it was butchered ... decades ago when people believe it has no value. No I saw only this copy under 5 years. Alter a lens just because we can't use it not a right way in my opinion. We have so many other lenses what we can use trouble free. This website is dedicated for preserve old lenses not how can we destroy them, please keep in mind this and respect it!