Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax SMC M 80-200mm f4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Pentax SMC M 80-200mm f4.5 Reply with quote

Hi all, recently got this lens which I think is the version 1 which has some positive reviews.

Still learning to accurately use manual focus on a dSLR, hence the image may not be so sharp, but what concerns me is the marked PF. i have read that its common btw old manual lens and digital sensors, but is this bad??

Taken at 200mm, f4.5 iso 400, speed 1/1600 cloudy day.

any advice on improving ?

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has significant CA on a cloud day hmm. Really nice capture I think you get maximum what this lens can do. I suggest to take instead a better one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this lens for at least 20 years now and this was my first zoom lens. My experience of extensive usage of this lens is that it is quite sharp between appx 90 and 150 mm and f 5.6 to f 11. Of course Just my personal experience and no scientific tests done. No pictures to demonstrate as i have stopped shooting with this since last five years and none of the slides are scanned.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens gets bagged so much but I think it does not deserve it.
To me it is a real sleeper.
Here is a shot wide open - f4.5 - Laugh 1
OH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Oldhand: Awesome!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting at f5.6 or f8 will probably get rid of the CA...or at least minimize it. I've found that what sometimes works best for me when I use lenses with bad CA is to underexpose by about a stop and then to boost the exposure in post.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember which version of this lens I had, but it was the one with quite long MFD. As for CA, this lens had it a lot when wide open, but just one click further and it was gon. It was something like f/5 as it was between f/4.5 and f/5.6.

Sharpness was great on APS-C throughout the whole focal length on f/5 to f/8. But a bit soft wide open. My copy had a lot of fungus on a few elements and after cleaning it up CA problem was smaller and I think sharpness became even more obvious. It was a lot more contrasty then my Vivitar Series I 70-210/3.5 (Kiron) and sharpness was on par on f/5.6-f/8.
I sold it because I thought I need f/3.5 of Vivitar, but regret that ever since. Recently I'm looking for the deal on this lens (as well as for Pentax-M 70-150), but with no luck. About three years ago I bought my copy for £10.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago i found a Takumar bayonet zoom 4.5/80-200, the cheaper brother of the SMC lens, for 8 euros or so in a thrift shop, and i was quite impressed because i read everywhere that it is an awfull lens.
Maybe i was lucky with a good copy or maybe it just looked way better than i expected, but here's a wide open sample from that one. I gave it away with a Pentax camera i sold.

Nola by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, purely my opinion, pretty much all of these 1970s-80's 80-200 zooms are perfectly fine at f/5.6 for any normal purpose. In nearly all cases whatever flaws they have are irrelevant and secondary to the usual photographic errors. They wont make a bad picture out of a good one.

Great picture TrueLoveOne!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few samples I took to attach to the auction when selling the lens (after the clean).
If I remember correctly all were shot at f/5.6-f/8, probably except the cat, which might have been at f/5

#crop of 1

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Mine is the first version with the longer mfd.
Ebay BIN $14.99 - and no one wanted it.
Here are some more quick images from this morning in the garden.
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 is great!

We have those here in San Francisco as a garden flower.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
OH

I really like the bokeh in this shot!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
#3 is great!

We have those here in San Francisco as a garden flower.

Ta Luis.
We call them red hot pokers.

Roka wrote:

I really like the bokeh in this shot!

Thanks Roka.
The trees behind were lit by the evening sun and the flowers were in shade.
It works sometimes Smile
OH

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens for a while but never really warmed to it. Now it's smaller brother the 75-150mm f4 I adored.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddywithoutbigears wrote:
I had this lens for a while but never really warmed to it. Now it's smaller brother the 75-150mm f4 I adored.

I have not used the 75-150 but I'm sure that it would give good results as you say.
All lenses have their own personality, and it may take some time to get to know them for their strengths and their weaknesses. It is in our own interests to spend enough time to get to know them well enough to be able to use their strengths to advantage.
What I really like about the Pentax-M 80-200 4.5 is that it is so heavily bagged by users who have not gotten to know it, and its bad reputation has sent its price plummeting.
I suppose it is a little on the slow side as well, having a maximum aperture of only f4.5 . Today's fashion is for faster and faster lenses (strange this is when we now have access to digital sensors that can be effectively rated with ISO's in the thousands)
It really is a very good lens when handled within its limitations, and hence a bargain at current prices.
OH

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree OH, It certainly is not a poor lens, it was the only manual zoom I had for a while and it held its own against the AF zooms I had. I tended to stick with manual primes but I bought it on a whim as I love old Pentax glass. I bought the 75-150mm out of curiosity based on the 80-200mm performance and it became an instant favourite, I just gelled with it and never really used the 80-200mm again. The 80-200mm doesn't deserve to be slatted l just preferred its smaller brother.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
@OP which version do you have?
I have a version 1 (silver ring), and the PF is very marked, especially on the border of white objects in strong sunlight.
I'd say that your BiF is well inside what I'd expect from it, esp. wide open.
Another "issue" my copy exhibits is a focus shift around f/8, especially when focusing at close/medium range.

Apart from that, it's a swell lens, with a peculiar vintage-y rendering

airfrance by Lens Beginner, su Flickr

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lensbeginner wrote:
Hi all,

Hmm, I'm not sure that yangman might reply as the OP, since his post was made in 2008, but I am happy to presume to reply about my own lens.
It is the first version with the longer mfd - shown in the picture above.
A very pleasant lens in use as your image shows
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
lensbeginner wrote:
Hi all,

Hmm, I'm not sure that yangman might reply as the OP, since his post was made in 2008, but I am happy to presume to reply about my own lens.
It is the first version with the longer mfd - shown in the picture above.
A very pleasant lens in use as your image shows
Cheers
OH

Duh, hadn't noticed that... Rolling Eyes
Enjoy yours! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shot from this very capable lens
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ the OP--it is relatively easy to Post Process PF/bloom--not a big deal. I'll bet just a slight tweak in focus would make the image enough sharper to be satisfying. Manual focusing, like some many things in life, takes time to acquire the knack/skills necessary to make the kinds of images of which you are proud. Go out and shoot! jt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
OH

Got to love this shot Oldhand! jt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you JT.
This lens "paints" its images in a very pleasing way.
So good, and soo cheap.
Happy snaps
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results from all with a rather ordinary lens. Luis’s comment above is appropriate and so is Attilla’s.

I had this Pentax SMC lens. Rarely used it though. It was outperformed by a Tokina 80-200mm F4.5. There are many other inexpensive options out there.