Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Pentax/Samsung DSLRs K/M M42 lenses manual white balance
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Pentax/Samsung DSLRs K/M M42 lenses manual white balance Reply with quote

Hallo to all members,

This is my first post and it is a question.
Can custom or manual white balance be set on a Pentax K200D or Samsung GX-20 (rebadged Pentax K20D) cameras using Pentax K/M or Carl Zeiss Jena M42 lenses? I have a feeling it cannot. The user manuals do not deal with this topic or I might have missed something.
Grateful for confirmation from experienced members.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most certainly can. Actually, you can set a custom white balance for any lens, heck you don't even need a lens.

I.e the camera's control of the white balance has nothing to do with what ever may be attached to it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
most certainly can. Actually, you can set a custom white balance for any lens, heck you don't even need a lens.

I.e the camera's control of the white balance has nothing to do with what ever may be attached to it.

Many thanks for responding. Normally, when I use a Pentax DA lens which communicates electronically with the camera through the contacts on the lens mount of a Pentax DSLR, I can choose the Manual White Balance setting and click a picture. The resultant picture has a small rectangle in it. Using the four-way switches and buttons on the camera body I can move the rectangle to an object which ought to be white in the picture. Then I use the OK button to select the object, thereby setting the white balance manually. When I use a Pentax KM lens or an M42 lens, no rectangle appears on clicking. Therefore white balance cannot be set manually for those types of lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chhayanat wrote:
tromboads wrote:

Many thanks for responding. Normally, when I use a Pentax DA lens which communicates electronically with the camera through the contacts on the lens mount of a Pentax DSLR, I can choose the Manual White Balance setting and click a picture. The resultant picture has a small rectangle in it. Using the four-way switches and buttons on the camera body I can move the rectangle to an object which ought to be white in the picture. Then I use the OK button to select the object, thereby setting the white balance manually. When I use a Pentax KM lens or an M42 lens, no rectangle appears on clicking. Therefore white balance cannot be set manually for those types of lenses.

My apologies. I had forgotten my own cameras and lenses. I used the Flektogon with the GX20 and tried to set manual white balance. Sure enough the small rectangle appeared in the resultant picture (of a piece of white paper) and the white balance was set manually.
Thank you for your clear reply which made me try again.