Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax/Samsung DSLRs K/M M42 lenses manual white balance
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Pentax/Samsung DSLRs K/M M42 lenses manual white balance Reply with quote

Hallo to all members,

This is my first post and it is a question.
Can custom or manual white balance be set on a Pentax K200D or Samsung GX-20 (rebadged Pentax K20D) cameras using Pentax K/M or Carl Zeiss Jena M42 lenses? I have a feeling it cannot. The user manuals do not deal with this topic or I might have missed something.
Grateful for confirmation from experienced members.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most certainly can. Actually, you can set a custom white balance for any lens, heck you don't even need a lens.

I.e the camera's control of the white balance has nothing to do with what ever may be attached to it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
most certainly can. Actually, you can set a custom white balance for any lens, heck you don't even need a lens.

I.e the camera's control of the white balance has nothing to do with what ever may be attached to it.

Many thanks for responding. Normally, when I use a Pentax DA lens which communicates electronically with the camera through the contacts on the lens mount of a Pentax DSLR, I can choose the Manual White Balance setting and click a picture. The resultant picture has a small rectangle in it. Using the four-way switches and buttons on the camera body I can move the rectangle to an object which ought to be white in the picture. Then I use the OK button to select the object, thereby setting the white balance manually. When I use a Pentax KM lens or an M42 lens, no rectangle appears on clicking. Therefore white balance cannot be set manually for those types of lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chhayanat wrote:
tromboads wrote:

Many thanks for responding. Normally, when I use a Pentax DA lens which communicates electronically with the camera through the contacts on the lens mount of a Pentax DSLR, I can choose the Manual White Balance setting and click a picture. The resultant picture has a small rectangle in it. Using the four-way switches and buttons on the camera body I can move the rectangle to an object which ought to be white in the picture. Then I use the OK button to select the object, thereby setting the white balance manually. When I use a Pentax KM lens or an M42 lens, no rectangle appears on clicking. Therefore white balance cannot be set manually for those types of lenses.

My apologies. I had forgotten my own cameras and lenses. I used the Flektogon with the GX20 and tried to set manual white balance. Sure enough the small rectangle appeared in the resultant picture (of a piece of white paper) and the white balance was set manually.
Thank you for your clear reply which made me try again.