Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax S3 focusing screen removal.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Pentax S3 focusing screen removal. Reply with quote

I need to replace the focusing screen on a Pentax S3 that I bought recently,
as it is beyond repair.

Can removal be done? Has anyone here tried this? How did you go about it please?

Any tips or hints would be most useful.

Cheers...Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax S3 focusing screen removal. Reply with quote

paul49er wrote:
I need to replace the focusing screen on a Pentax S3 that I bought recently,
as it is beyond repair.

Can removal be done? Has anyone here tried this? How did you go about it please?

Any tips or hints would be most useful.

Cheers...Paul.

Not an S3 but I've done a Spotmatic SP. The screen can only be removed upwards, so you have to take the top off and remove the
prism. It doesn't sound too hard, but the prism is very easily damaged, and it has a cushioning of fine orange-coloured foam which turns
to dust when you touch it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Peter,

And many thanks for the very prompt reply. That internal part turning to orange dust sounds rather daunting,
but as the camera is pretty much unusable as it is, I suppose I might as well give it a try.

I have nothing to lose I suppose.

Cheers...Paul.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, now I think about it, do you know if the orange foam can be replaced if it does
turn to dust?

Would craft shop foam (the kind we use for the light seal replacement jobs) be suitable,
do you know?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul49er wrote:
Actually, now I think about it, do you know if the orange foam can be replaced if it does
turn to dust?

Would craft shop foam (the kind we use for the light seal replacement jobs) be suitable,
do you know?

Hi Paul, sorry for the delay.

I tried to find a source for the orange foam but no luck. Light seal foam might do it, but the orange stuff is much finer. I think perhaps a
better way would be to use thin slivers cut from a chamois leather.

This thread shows how to remove the top plate of the SP. To remove the prism, gently unhook the springs using tweezers, and the prism is fixed with
two tiny grub screws at the front corners. Be very careful with it, if you touch the silvering on the top edge you'll be forever after seeing
a line across the viewfinder.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen the thread Peter linked to before - the Spotmatic meter thread - and it is excellent. Cool