Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax-m SMC 50mm F1.7 VS MC Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm F1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Pentax-m SMC 50mm F1.7 VS MC Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm F1.4 Reply with quote

OK so after me posting the 50mm Pentax a while back a few people asked for a side by side with my Minolta 50mm F1.4
So here is the showdown
the contenders
Pentax-m SMC 50mm F1.7 VS MC Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm F1.4
For starters the Minolta is built like a Battleship has a very nice smooth focus, rather heavy compared to the Pentax not as well built as the rokkor but none the less still very high quality rather a lot lighter
Conditions where overcast so not ideal for shooting. and just the park where i live so nothing exciting
PP consisted of using Aperture and the Auto Enhance feature only no Sharpening, etc
All subjects photographed at the same apertures on each lens

#1 F5.6 minolta

#2 F5.6 Pentax

#3 F2 Minolta

#4 F2 Pentax

#5 F2.8 Minolta

#6 F2.8 Pentax

#7 F8 Minolta

#8 F8 Pentax

#9 F8 minolta

#10 F8 Pentax

#11 F8 Minolta

#12 F8 Pentax

#13 F2 Minolta

#14 F2 Pentax

#15 F4 Minolta

#16 F4 Pentax

#17 F4 Minolta

#18 F4 Pentax

#19 F4 minolta

#20 F4 Pentax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except some slight bokeh and color saturation differences, both lenses are almost indistinguishable. This confirms, that most "brand" 50's are good performers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax may be a tad sharper/contrasty but the colours are better with the Minolta in my opinion. Calibrated monitor here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta looks better to me, I like the colors and it seems at least as sharp as pentax, at least comparing #13 and #14, Minolta seems sharper and has better bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
The Pentax may be a tad sharper/contrasty but the colours are better with the Minolta in my opinion. Calibrated monitor here.

my thought exactly, especially in the close-ups the pentax seems to have more detail. I kind of like the freaky bokeh of the pentax, but i think most people would prefer the minolta. Indeed color is better with the minolta. Also the minolta seems to be just a little bit darker.

nice test!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax is a bit better. May be some thing about light transmission? Lighter in dark area, and sky looks better on pentax lens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny how many people think the Pentax is a bit sharper.. and I would say in most cases the Rokkor is the sharper lens. Laughing

Both lenses looks very good to me, but I would prefer the Rokkor for it's color rendering.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rokkor shows much better bokeh, no doubt about that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharpness is hard to compare because of the long exposure times (mostly 1/40s or 1/30s)
Both are very good.

I like to see a comparision of the Pentax SMC 1.4 50mm with the Minolta MD/MC Rokkor 50mm F1.4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know something Eddie, looking at the full size versions of the infinity shots, I'm convinced the Minolta isn't focussed accurately in any of them. The Pentax is so much sharper. In the closer focus shots there is hardly any noticeable difference. I'm beginning to wonder if either your MD adapter is inaccurate or the lens is badly adjusted at the ∞ stop.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Sharpness is hard to compare because of the long exposure times (mostly 1/40s or 1/30s)
Both are very good.

I like to see a comparision of the Pentax SMC 1.4 50mm with the Minolta MD/MC Rokkor 50mm F1.4

I have this comparison... I owned both lenses, the SMC Tak 1.4 (sold) and the MC Rokkor 50 1.4 (stolen)

actually I'm a bit lazy right now to process the pictures Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, all my adapted lenses on the G1 focus past infinity & I have to back off the focus. I mean all, no matter what brand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I much prefer the Pentax, better in all aspects imho. I think the Minolta looks sub-standard in sharpness and contrast although the close-ups with the Minolta do show good sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
Peter, all my adapted lenses on the G1 focus past infinity & I have to back off the focus. I mean all, no matter what brand.

Thanks Ron. If that's the same with Eddie's adapters then maybe it's the Pentax that's badly adjusted and he struck lucky. Whatever, I'm sure there's something wrong here. There shouldn't be so much difference in detail at infinity when it is so similar at closer focus.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, as per teh other comments mine dont go anywhere neer infinity have to back of a bit in order to get infinity due to adaptors.
Maybe its down to the weight of the lens its maybe got a little more camera shake.
Or maybe my focusing was not 100% on the Minolta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eyes the Pentax lens does better overall.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my eyes the Minolta lens does better overall, that's because i'm impartial Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comparison doesn't seem fair - the focus is on different points and there is a camera shake on half of the samples.
The Minolta overall looks better to me.