Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax-M 50/1.7 - Super Takumar 55/2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Pentax-M 50/1.7 - Super Takumar 55/2.0 Reply with quote

I decided to compare these 2 lenses side by side. For a full review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpxJBJJ9w2s

Camera used is a Sony A7 III

f8

f8

Wide open

f8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the comparison.
Although it’s not a perfect lens, I really like the Pentax-m 50/1.7. Colors and contrast of this lens are very good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

It appears to my eye that the Pentax-M has significantly more depth of field, more than can be attributed to the slightly wider focal length. Even at wide-open f/1.7, the Pentax has more in focus than the Takumar has wide-open at f/2.0.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Leica Fox wrote:
Thank you!

It appears to my eye that the Pentax-M has significantly more depth of field, more than can be attributed to the slightly wider focal length. Even at wide-open f/1.7, the Pentax has more in focus than the Takumar has wide-open at f/2.0.

I don’t know if you’re referring to the last image, but the focus point of the Tak is quite a bit closer it seems, which could account for the shallower DOF.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The super Takumar doesn't have the SMC coatings yet, those increase contrast and saturation, also a bit warmer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look pretty much close, aside the DOF effect. Nice model, bravo!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both, as they are similar yet very different
The Super Tak 55/1.8-2.0 (same lens) is a classic, sharp all over with wonderful image rendition.
The M-50/1.7 benfitted from 20+years of improved coating and lens design with higher contrast.

Comparing them is like listening to a LP vs a CD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the bokeh and colors of the Pentax-M 50/1.7:

PentaxM5017DSC09978 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-M-C Takumar 55mm 1:1.8
My tree! catkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

SMC Pentax-m 50mm 1:1.7
Mr Wonky ear by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exceptional cat portraits when it comes to super sharpness and bokeh Smile