Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax-M 35mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Pentax-M 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Pretty petite lens. Decent sharpness wide open. Wish it had more than five aperture blades.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
A solid performer, and like all M series Pentax, a pleasure to use.
Thanks for sharing these
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have that one too. Bokeh is not it's strong point unless the background isn't busy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax-M 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Pretty petite lens. Decent sharpness wide open. Wish it had more than five aperture blades.

Take the Minolta instead (the later [5/5] version - MC-X, MD-I/-II/-III)!

S

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Very nice.
A solid performer, and like all M series Pentax, a pleasure to use.
Thanks for sharing these
Tom

Thanks, Tom. Yes, feels different (in a good way) than my other 35mm 2.8. I have 50mm/1.4, 100mm/2.8, and 40-80mm, all in M version.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Have that one too. Bokeh is not it's strong point unless the background isn't busy.

Bokeh, at least not distracting to my eyes. Sure, need to use in other situation to see how it performs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pentax-M 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Take the Minolta instead (the later [5/5] version - MC-X, MD-I/-II/-III)!

S

Thanks, Steve. I have yet to collect those Minolta's. They seem not very common.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pentax-M 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

I'll play a devils advocate here: in the midst of the hexagon-making crowd, being a good lens with a pentagon aperture makes the lens more unique if anything.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentagons can make 10 pointed starbursts instead of boring old six from a hexagon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax-M 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

I'll play a devils advocate here: in the midst of the hexagon-making crowd, being a good lens with a pentagon aperture makes the lens more unique if anything.

Many, many moons ago some images were published in the Minolta Mirror annual, taken by a well known photographer - showing pentagons instead of hexagons. Of course the Minolta engineers did spot that right away, and said photographer was given a proper camera and, probably, a few proper lenses. Hexagon-producing lenses, of course!

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is why pre school shape identification is important children!

Some of my favourite images have been shot with the M35 f2.8. Looourrrrve it.

Click
Click Again!

Would travel with it again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Pentax-M 35mm f2.8 Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

Indeed, I am pretty sure at certain occasions, the Pentagon aperture would blend into the background well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Pentagons can make 10 pointed starbursts instead of boring old six from a hexagon.

Good to know. Don't know why even number blades don't give 2x starbursts. I probably need to go back to review high school optics on diffraction.

P.S. I think I now understand why.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldi bow,

here is fine test of different 35mm Pentax lenses on a 7s. You will see the sunstars depending the number of blades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrjwRUi3jfQ

I have this M 35mm f2.8 , the Minolta which Stevemark spoke about and the CZ Distagon 35mm f2.8 QBM.
There are pretty comparable on 24 Mpx FF. The Distagon is the weakest in the corners and needs to be stopped down.

I prefer the M Pentax to the Minolta. It has better microcontrasts in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
vivaldi bow,

here is fine test of different 35mm Pentax lenses on a 7s. You will see the sunstars depending the number of blades.

I have this M 35mm f2.8 , the Minolta which Stevemark spoke about and the CZ Distagon 35mm f2.8 QBM.
There are pretty comparable on 24 Mpx FF. The Distagon is the weakest in the corners and needs to be stopped down.

I prefer the M Pentax to the Minolta. It has better microcontrasts in my opinion.

Thanks. I'll go take a look. I only have the MC 35mm/1.8. Will be curious to see how 35mm/2.8 performs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
memetph wrote:
vivaldi bow,

Thanks. I'll go take a look. I only have the MC 35mm/1.8. Will be curious to see how 35mm/2.8 performs.

I ment I prefer the Pentax f2.8 to the Minolta f2.8.