Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax K+Multi Mount use with M42 to C/Y adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Pentax K+Multi Mount use with M42 to C/Y adapter Reply with quote

I have some M42 mount lenses which lack an A/M switch and which I would like to use on my Pentax K7.

The M42 adapters that I have seen that have the additional flange to push in the stop down pin on M42 lenses seem to be rather expensive, particularly as I would like to have an adapter for each lens. $40 for a Kipon adapter available to the UK on Ebay. A Bower one on Amazon UK is £60. I have found a Kipon one in Berlin for 20 Euros including postage to the UK but that is still a lot more than I would like to pay.

M42 to Contax / Yashica adapters( Roxsen) incorporate a similar stop down flange and are relatively inexpensive. Under £5.

The Adaptist PK+MM Multi Mount is a replacement mount plate that allows you to attach Nikon F-mount, Olympus OM-mount, Contax or Yashica C/Y-mount, and Konica AR-mount lenses to Pentax DSLRs. The mount for waterproofed Pentax bodies such as my K7 is $119 Singapore dollars, currently a little under £60.

I am considering changing the mount on the camera to one of these. Then using M42 to C/Y adapters to mount my lenses to the camera.

The lenses are quite nice ones including a West German Rollei built 85mm f2.8 Sonnar and a Voigtlander 50mm f1.8 Color Ultron (3rd type) which I do not want to mess about with and which I would still like to use on film cameras with M42 mounts.

The lenses are TM Thread Mount lenses which allow full aperture metering on Zeiss Ikon SL706 and Voigtlander VSL1 cameras. These lenses will not mount due to their additional mount hardware for instance onto a Spotmatic F camera body but will onto an SP1000 one. I cannot think why they might not fit on an M42 adapter with a stop down flange but just conceivably they might not. I would appreciate your thoughts and the benefit of your experience on this matter.

Also I would appreciate some feedback from users of the PK+MM Multi Mount. In particular I would like to hear of their experiences mounting Contax / Yashica lenses onto that lens mount.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

Last edited by Roger Hesketh on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:04 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/04/multi-mount-offers-integrated-solution-for-using-bayonet-mount-lenses-on-your-dslr/

It's an interesting option for sure. I'd like that on my old K10.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the link. Their is no immediate cost advantage to doing it this way as opposed to just buying the flanged M42 to PK adapters as I need three of them. However the possible advantage of this approach could lie in the greater long term flexibility that changing the body mount for one that allows lenses with differing mounts to be mounted on the camera.

If I am going to end up having to spend that sort of money . It might be better spent this way.
A concern is will the C/Y adapter foul the mirror on a K mount camera or onto something else within the body. How secure is the mount when mounting lenses other than PK? What precautions to take? These are the sort of questions I would like answered if at all possible please.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/247977-manual-focus-galore-nikon-f-olympus-om-c-y-konica-ar-mount-lenses-pentax-dslr.html

The guys on the Pentax Forum seem positive about it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again thanks for the link Lloydy. It looks very promising.
All the best
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would post a follow up.I did get the Multi mount and the Contax to M42 adapters The M42 to Contax adapter with the stop down flange works just fine with the Pentax Multi Mount and allows the use stopped down of M42 lenses without the stop down switch on a Pentax K7. The only thing is it does not lock the lens in place on the multi mount so if you are not careful the lens can come off if twisted in the mount.