Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax K10D or K100D?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Pentax K10D or K100D? Reply with quote

I'm a lucky man. Always but today more than normal. Not only I got a Rollei Sonnar HFT 2,8/85 made in west-germany with M42 mount that was a hidden gift of a zenit auction. The other reason is that my family made the decision that I should buy me a new camera Very Happy

I'm thinking about a pentax:
- same working distance as M42
- Image stabilizer in camera
- focus confirmation with any lens

Price for K100D is around 500 EUR here, for K10D 900 EUR.

I've read both manuals so I'm aware of the different specs. But money is hard to earn so I'm not sure what to do. I've heard about a light metering issue using manual lens with the K10D, anyone knows something about that? Really an issue? Is it true that the K10D produces more noise than the smaller camera?

Michael, confused Confused

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about other lenses thank Pentax and M42 ? Is Nikon adapter available ? How about Contax perhaps Leica lenses ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I don't know if I remember correctly, but I seem to remember that you already have a 350D, am I correct?

If you do, I don't think you'll be really happy with the comparison with the K100D.
Look here, the K100D is an image-quality inferior camera than what you already have:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/page19.asp

Also the same review states that the shake reduction in the K100D is not that decisive with regards to saving shots as one would hope:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/page12.asp

The reviews of DPReview.com are accurate and reliable. They don't deal with manual lenses, but they are probably the most accurate reviews available.

I would really give a second thought about the K100D at 500 Euros.
Al least, read the full review.

And don't forget that there is the option of the 400D which at a street price of about 600-650 Euros offers the same 10,1 Megapixels as the K10D. Ok, it does not have the antishake and the focus confirmation, but costs 350 Euros less than the K10D, it can mount more manual lenses, and with regards to pure image quality it is, in my opinion, very hard to beat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Michael!

First of all congratulations to your great new lens!
And congratulations to your family!

If spending € 900,- doesn't hurt you much, I would go for the K10D.
I really can't believe that there is light meter issue with that cam. Quite a few manual lens fans use this cam very successfully!

Its stabiliser is priceless and it is a rather professional cam compared to the 3digit EOS (350D, 400D) or the K100D, due to its construction.

If I had the money, I would buy one without hesitation. And as soon as I get enough money to spend (there is a difference between having money and having money to spend on your hobby, right?) I will go for one - unless there is a better model until then.

But, of course, this is only my very personal opinion. Nobody can make this decision for you.

Carsten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Michael, if you already have a Canon then I would agree with Carsten. As for metering, I'm not sure but I think the K10D has spot metering. If there is only one improvement I could make to the 400D it would be that!

PS - I've heard the K10D has a much brighter viewfinder too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Michael, if you already have a Canon then I would agree with Carsten. As for metering, I'm not sure but I think the K10D has spot metering. If there is only one improvement I could make to the 400D it would be that!

Ok let me add a word as a on-field photographer. This really depends on the habits of the photographer. For a photographer that does quiet sessions, or just takes his camera out together with the family, then having a different brand can be ok since he probably never takes the two cameras out together.
BUT - if the photographer is like me - going out often all day, often to photograph live events with both cameras at the same time, let me tell you, having two different brands can be a headache:

FIRST - you have -in this case- different memories (Canon uses compact flash, Pentax uses SD), this means spending more in memories and memories NOT interchangeable in case of need (which often happens when you photograph fast)

SECOND - two cameras of different brand are likely to have lens incompatibilities - now Pentax and Canon are pretty similar, but for instance, I would not be able to mount my Contax lenses on a Pentax, and that is pretty a hard limitation for me, as I have many. On the practical side, this will mean to fit say two 28mm lenses in the bag, or give up my Distagon 28 and only take with me the other 28mm - but then it will make me angry leaving at home a lens that I love.

THIRD - you need double the amount of DIFFERENT adapters - you say "ok but if you use two cameras, you need to buy double adapters also - true, but in case of same brand, adapters are interchangeable. Does this mean something? Yes! Try to change lenses in a hurry, maybe moving one lens from a camera to the other - which I sometimes do. And say you lose one adapter - the remaining one will still work on both cameras, while if you have cameras of different brand and you lose one adaptor, the other one will work only on one camera.

FOURTH - color matching. If you shoot in the same place with two different digital cameras, you will 99% of times have a problem of color matching - i.e. the pictures from one camera will look different from the other camera. Yes it can be taken care of with post-processing (although hardly you will get a 100% match with postpro), and YES it will take a LOT more time to postprocess your pictures if you have to care about the color matching. With my 5D and 400D, I obtain pictures that are of the same color shading and tonalities and contrast. I don't need to do any color matching, and this saves me a lot of time, as I am pretty anal when it comes to image processing out of raw.

peterqd wrote:
PS - I've heard the K10D has a much brighter viewfinder too.

This is likely, because the K10D uses a real pentaprism (K100D has a pentamirror)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all K100D is excellent image-quality. All tests you see of the camera only ever show JPEG from the camera, usually at default settings. The Pentax is set up to please the average user and it does a very good job of that. However shoot in RAW and it is a very different camera. As an ex Canon D300. Minolta 5D and Sony Alpha owner I can say without doubt the Pentax is far better image quality. You will also find on the Pentax Forum, members showing side by side shots from the K100D which better such cameras as the Nikon D200.
The question of image quality is very dear to my heart as I sell a lot of 20 x 16 inch prints and exhibit them. The Pentax does a great job. image quality is also very subjective, which is why I would not buy the K10D IMO the Soy 10 million sensor is far too noisy and a picture taken at 400asa and above needs so much luminance smoothing and colour noise reduction fine detail and real sharpness have gone. Of all the 10 million pixel DSLR I have tried (Nikon D200, D80, Sony Alpha) The Pentax does seem to be the best but the noise is still there. If you are going to shoot at 200asa most of the time then no problem. Where the Pentax K10 takes some beating is build quality, feel and usability. It is the best DSLR I have felt in my hands. Build quality is full weather sealing and everything just feels so right. Even the shutter is quiter than any other DSLR I have tried or heard. It is a real quality camera, just beating the the Nikon D200 but not quite a EOS 1.
My final advice would be only use tests/reviews to check out features. I have yet to read one that gives the proper low down of a camera. Have you ever read a bad report about the Sony Alpha? A camera that would drive you crazy and fall apart in your hands.
Go to your dealers armed with your own memory cards and take lots of shoots to examine at home on your computer. Hold the camera, feel it, change a lens. How does it feel is it good or does it feel like something you could have bought from the local dime store. There is nothing more like the feel of cheap plastic, a camera that creaks and a viewfinder you have a problem to focus with when you use your camera most days.
Please ignore all if you have no intention of shooting RAW and only want to do snaps a couple of time a month.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My final advice would be only use tests/reviews to check out features.

Agreed - always bear in mind that any review, no matter who does it, is someone else's experience of the equipment based on their usage patterns. Only you as the real end user can decide if a camera is for you, based on what you like to shoot and the only way to do that, is as Rob says, is to arm yourself with some memory cards, take test shots and see how quickly you can pick up how to use the camera without fumbling and how fast you can change lenses on it.

My 5D is the first DSLR I ever had after many years of shooting with all manual cameras and lenses - I had the camera sussed within about 5 minutes without looking at the manual. That's not so much a comment about me, more about how well designed the 5D is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:

My final advice would be only use tests/reviews to check out features. I have yet to read one that gives the proper low down of a camera. Have you ever read a bad report about the Sony Alpha?

It depends on the review and the reviewer. DP Review gives some very good insight in my opinion. Take the 400D for example. Before the review came out, there was some idiot talk going on on the forums about the 400D being defective because it supposedly undereexposed pictures. This rumour spread from Canon users who were used to previous Canon reflex such as 300D or 350D.
The talk spread worldwide and I know of people who even contacted Canon's chiefs about that. The review of DP Review finally came out and stated that the 400D exposes perfectly, and that on the contrary it was the previous Canon EOS digital reflex cameras that OVERexposed by 1/3rd stop. The thing was confirmed by Canon itself, who later said that with the 400D, they (finally) adhered to the international protocol of the camera exposure, which is 1/3 stop darker than what they always implemented in their cameras. In other words, the 400D is the first Canon digital reflex to expose properly. It was DP Review's review the first one to set the fact straight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pentax ISt Ds, has a bright and large viewfinder (I compared with a 350 d).
The Fosussing aid works with all lenses and it has spotmetering.
You can find a Ist Ds for less than 400 second hand.

Guido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there was some idiot talk going on on the forums about the 400D being defective because it supposedly undereexposed pictures. This rumour spread from Canon users who were used to previous Canon reflex such as 300D or 350D.

This is the sort of thing that you generally find on manufacturer specific forums where faults, real or imagined, get magnified simply because a lot of people post comments about said faults. Then along come the uninformed who read all the negative posts, lore and general static and mistakenly conclude that the product being discussed must be crap because everyone else says so.

Put it this way, if I had paid attention to all the negative comments about the Canon 100-400 zoom, I'd never have bought it....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your comments.

"Da steh ich nun, ich armer Tor, und bin so klug als wie zuvor."
"And here I am, for all my lore, The wretched fool I was before"

I looked through the viewfinder of both cameras this morning - the pentaprism one of the k10d is a killer in comparison to the k100d. Better not mentioning the small dark hole of our 350D. My imagination: a bright viewfinder and a fast manual lens together with image stabilization - that must be a dream. But in reality? I'm shooting raw and mostly portrait work (although I'm mostly posting other stuff here). I'm not sure if 6MP is enough, on the other side I see rob's pictures and their quality.

And now Yvonne came from university and said a few minutes ago: He, Orio is right, stay with canon, but buy a 30D. Evil or Very Mad I think she want's the camera for herself Very Happy But I think this makes no sense, the difference between 350d and 30d is too small. And 5D is out of reach...

Everybody here has good arguments. I fear I have to decide for myself. Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon has the most flexible mount in that there's not much you can't hang on the front via some sort of adapter or gaffer tape at a push....Laughing

That said, every camera has it's compromises in order to meet it's price point, even the 5D...

Since you know what you shoot and want in a camera body, you have to look at each marque and model and find the one that best fits your requirements, bank balance, existing lens roster and whose compromises you can live with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big difference between the Canon D30 and D400 is build quality. The D20/30 isn’t weather sealed etc but it does feel and operate like a quality camera. It’s been a couple of years since I had a D20 in my hands but I wasn’t too impressed with the viewfinder, everything else yes. I wouldn’t have paid the money or one however. I haven’t bothered to look at the D30 but if the finder has been improved it could be a better buy for you. To be fair to Canon it can’t be compared to the D350 or D400. Certainly worth a look and has to be the price for price competitor to the K10

On your point about 6 million pixels being enough. Having owned the 10 million pixel Sony Alpha and trying the Nikon 10 million cameras (Same Sony sensor) I have no doubt that there is less real detail with 10 million against 6 million. This can easily be seen in Shadow detail where noise obliterates detail. This might not be a big thing with portraits. With wildlife photography were sharpness is really required for feather or fur detail 10 million pixels can’t sharpened like 6 million, you are just sharpening noise and not fine detail.

Great respect to you as a Canon owner for "Not mentioning the small dark hole of our 350D"

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
The big difference between the Canon D30 and D400 is build quality.

I am owner of the 400D since it came out, used it very hard, and never had a single problem with the build quality.

I think that this of the build quality is for most part useless talk. Unless you are going to throw your camera in the water, or hard against a wall, you will never have any problem with the build quality of the 400D.

I would never pick the 30D instead of the 400D. Is a less advanced camera that costs more. In fact, the 30D was an already outdated camera the day it came out. Probably the worst marketing error that Canon ever made - and the first Canon digital reflex to lose the competition against the equivalent Nikon model. And in fact, according to insistent rumours, a consistently updated model, the 40D, should be hitting the market soon.

Trust me - leave the 30D alone. If you don't like the 400D, then wait for the new model, or get the Pentax as you originally planned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio is right I think I read something about a new 40D being released soon. On the question of build quality, I could mention a few things but just one. The 400D doesn't fit my hands. I don't believe I have huge hands but I just can't get a grip on the 400D and use the controls. Thats it for me I don't need to mention anything else, I couldn't consider the camera on any other level. I picked it up and put it down

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
Orio is right I think I read something about a new 40D being released soon. On the question of build quality, I could mention a few things but just one. The 400D doesn't fit my hands. I don't believe I have huge hands but I just can't get a grip on the 400D and use the controls. Thats it for me I don't need to mention anything else, I couldn't consider the camera on any other level. I picked it up and put it down

I don't understand what has the size to do with the build quality.

As for the other things you mention, I'd be curious to know how could you experience them by taking the camera in your hands and putting it down immediately. Talk about instant knowledge.

I used the camera for several months, and it's not a 5D, but it's not a toy either. You can not break it unless you want to break it, or it has a very serious accident, like falling from a 5 meters high, a thing which would also hurt the 5D by the way.

Anyway, Michael is using a 350D which has the same size as the 400D, so he already knows. I personally shoot thousands of pictures and although I could use a larger size, it didn't certainly prevent me from using the camera and enjoying its quality.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,
I think Rob was coming from a purely ergonomic viewpoint about the
400D. I am somewhat the same way, if it doesn't feel good in my hands
whether it's a particular model/brand of Italian foil or a digital camera, I'm not much interested. And granted, I am probably missing out on some things worthwhile.

I've got to say, Nikons certainly have the ergonomic thing down in
spades. Too bad about the register distance...

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:

I've got to say, Nikons certainly have the ergonomic thing down in
spades. Too bad about the register distance...
Bill

In my opinion, Nikon has always built better cameras than Canon.
With film, there is simply no comparison - I'll take a Nikon all my life.
Unfortunately for Nikon, digital is a different story, because the CMOS sensor is (in my opinion) of superior quality than CCD. Since I do matter the output (photographs) more than anything else, I prefer to use less well built cameras with better output (Canon).

Then in addition to this there is the register distance thing for us manual lenses maniacs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t have and have never believed in brand loyally. It is a silly concept. Nikon, Canon and Pentax have all made good cameras, they have also made some bad ones. They all have many good features and again they have bad ones. Nikon have always made super handling cameras and the D50, D70 models are in some ways the best value DSLR cameras on the market if you are only ever going to use Nikons AF lenses. I hated my Canon 300 although it took marvellous image I had it for two years and I was never a pleasure to use. It was (Fact) a ?1000 DSLR housed in the cheapest ?99 SLR body Canon had. I kept the camera two years only because of the image quality and price. I would be first to admit the 400 is not the 300 and improvements have been made but after two years experience using the 300 I only had to hold the 400 to know I wasn’t for me. I know this upsets Canon lovers but sorry that is their problem. Pentax, Nikon, Canon are only the tools we use, none of them are perfect and it is silly to cry that they are. The only important thing is the image you produce and enjoying the process and that includes holding the camera and looking through the viewfinder. If ‘Borges’ likes the Pentax K100 or K10 and he tries out the shop model before buying I’m sure he will have made the right choice. Equally if he thinks his 350 and the 400 have better features and he likes the handling so be it, that will still be the right choice for him. There may be some disadvantage to running two different camera systems but there are also many advantages to it. Again it is down to what the end user wants
Finally I would add IMO the Canon 10 million crop sensor is probably about the best DSLR sensor available but there isn’t enough in it for me to be unhappy with the feel and pleasure of use from my camera.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
I don’t have and have never believed in brand loyally.I hated my Canon 300 although it took marvellous image I had it for two years and I was never a pleasure to use. It was I know this upsets Canon lovers but sorry that is their problem.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding here.
I am not a brand lover. If I was, I would have purchased a Nikon digital camera, since I owned Nikon film cameras all my life, and had a lot of Nikon glasses. But after I have verified the quality of the Canon digital sensor, I have decided that it was the camera for me, and I switched system without thinking about it a single minute.
So your judgement about the shortcomings of the Canon cameras does not upset me at all.
What I have trouble to accept is a person dismissing a camera as "badly built" after having handled it for a few seconds and immediately put it down. Quality of build must be judged after use. I would never talk bad of the build quality of a camera that I have not used.

The 400D is an excellent camera that can make a lot of people happy without killing their bank accounts. To scare them away from it because of a supposed badly build that has not been experienced, and is evidently based only on some prejudice, is not a good advice in my opinion.
There are some observations of yours about the Canon cameras that are well funded. The dark and small viewfinder being one of them.
But to talk about poor build quality of a camera that you have never used, is not good advice - in my humble opinion.

I say this in all friendship and without any personal issue or implication!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guilty of the common misuse of the phrase ‘Build quality’ I do not wish to imply the camera will fall apart or be unreliable in any way. The phase is often used to describe the design, handling, feel and looks of the materials used. For example in my broad misuse of the phrase the poor viewfinder would be part of that ‘Build quality.’ It was or should have been designed for the camera and should perform in the best way possible. If in the opinion of the user it doesn’t then it is broadly speaking part of the ‘Build quality’ If the smooth plastic finish is not to the buyers taste then again that is build of the camera. I’m sure it won’t fall apart and it could even be the best shock proof material but if the buyer thinks it feels cheap then sorry that is how the camera is built. I use the very general descriptive phrase ‘Build quality’ to describe design, function and the personal opinion of the buyer to the feel of the product. As such I see and more to the point I feel when I pick the camera little change from the D300. In fact on a very personal level (Maybe I do have big hands) it is worse because I can’t comfortable hold and handle the camera. As I said I have no brand loyalty or anything against any individual brand. I have and still use my Canon A80 PS and think for the money it was one of the best PS made. However I wouldn’t even bother to look at a Canon G7.
Right just finished a bit of work and now out to enjoy taking some pictures back at 5-00ish.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
I am guilty of the common misuse of the phrase ‘Build quality’ I do not wish to imply the camera will fall apart or be unreliable in any way. The phase is often used to describe the design, handling, feel and looks of the materials used. For example in my broad misuse of the phrase the poor viewfinder would be part of that ‘Build quality.’ It was or should have been designed for the camera and should perform in the best way possible. If in the opinion of the user it doesn’t then it is broadly speaking part of the ‘Build quality’ If the smooth plastic finish is not to the buyers taste then again that is build of the camera. I’m sure it won’t fall apart and it could even be the best shock proof material but if the buyer thinks it feels cheap then sorry that is how the camera is built. I use the very general descriptive phrase ‘Build quality’ to describe design, function and the personal opinion of the buyer to the feel of the product. As such I see and more to the point I feel when I pick the camera little change from the D300. In fact on a very personal level (Maybe I do have big hands) it is worse because I can’t comfortable hold and handle the camera. As I said I have no brand loyalty or anything against any individual brand. I have and still use my Canon A80 PS and think for the money it was one of the best PS made. However I wouldn’t even bother to look at a Canon G7.
Right just finished a bit of work and now out to enjoy taking some pictures back at 5-00ish.

Then we definitely misunderstood each other. For me the things you describe as build quality (e.g. the size, or the use of pentamirror instead of pentaprism) are features.

Quality of the build for me is, for instance, a badly built pentamirror against a well built pentamirror.

In any case, the limitations of the 400D are a fact: the size is small (which is something that some people, like women, may actually appreciate by the way), and the viewfinder is indeed darker than a pentaprism.

But the camera is solidly built and will stand intensive use without any problem. This I can tell from experience.

On the other hand, one must also acknowledge that the 400D costs about 300 Euros less than the K10D. That is 1/3rd of the total price. Not a small difference.

Of course the viewfinder was one of the corners cut to sell the camera at an unbeatable price for it's capabilities.

One has to balance the pros and cons and decide what does do best for him.

If the larger size, brigther viewfinder, focus confirmation and image stabilization are the most important things, then one should spend the 300 Euros more and buy the K10D.

If on the other hand, the compatibility with more manual lens mounts and the colors and the slightly wider dynamic range of the CMOS sensor are preferred features, one should save the 300 Euros and buy the 400D.

Or, wait for the 40D, which will, most certainly, add to the image quality of the 400D a brighter pentaprism similar to that of the 5D.

Then one must also consider the existing equipment he has, and include the compatibility issue in the picture. For instance, I love very much the pictures I have seen of the K10D. I think that they are remarkably clear and detailed. And I don't see a problem in the supposed yellowing of the skin tones. I much prefer that, to the piggy pink complexion rendered by some cheaper cameras.
But as a matter of fact I must consider that I am an owner of two Canon cameras and that if I add a Pentax camera to the roster, I will have some compatibility issue, most notably with color consistency. Color consistency will force me to do more work in the raw processing to make colors match. This is not something that I want, as it takes a lot of time and I am a very busy man with little free time at hand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks in advance to you all. I've read the hole night tests and specs. I argued with friends over the hole world via Internet.

K10D is out - I've seen pictures with the noise this camera produces with ISO800 and above. What's the use of image stabilization if I loose 2 stops to avoid this noise.

K100D is out - despite the impressive images Rob produces with this cam. I discussed with pentax users the use of M42 Adapter. They told me that my dream of an ideal camera for my russians wouldn't become true because of adapter problems.

Yvonne together with Orio had the right arguments this morning. I have four adapters M42-EOS, 2 with AF-Chip. If I go out I can scew this adapters on the lens and change same as easy as canon lens. We have much canon accessoires. So I buried my dream of Pentax as ideal M42-Camera.
A few hours ago I was at our local electronics store. And I've done something I shouldn't do: I tried a 5D. The have ONE with 24-105 VERY cheap, cheapter than the dubious hongkong sellers you'll found at ebay. And Yvonne isn't any help. I had the hope that she says "No, never" but she didn't do that. Orio! Help! Tell me that this camera is crap! The shop closes in about an hour! Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
Orio! Help! Tell me that this camera is crap! The shop closes in about an hour! Very Happy
Michael

The camera is crap...

... but it makes wonderful images!!!!!

Laughing

What can I say... for me, the main advantage over the 400D is the full frame format. I got used to both the small size of the 400D and the dark viewfinder, and I don't find them a problem in the real use.
My 5D has a problem with over-exposure, that is common to all 5Ds, but maybe mine is worse than average.
I will speak sincerely from the heart: I prefer the image quality of 400D, BUT, the usefullness of the full frame is unbeatable. The possibility to use the lenses for the focal lenght they were built for, is SUCH an advantage.

Also, from your images I see you are much into bokeh effects. Being full frame, the 5D has a shallower DOF than the crop format cameras. You will enjoy your Helios-40-2 even more.

My dream is a camera with the image quality and exposure precision of the 400D, and the build and viefinder and the full frame of the 5D.
Maybe in the future.