Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax-k /m42 adapter with inner flange
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Pentax-k /m42 adapter with inner flange Reply with quote

Just got mine from Alex (HK300) from the mflenses shop and its excellent, works perfectly and is of very high quality material and workmanship. Cannot recommend it enough! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy , Many thanks Alex your goods and service are excellent, I may well be in touch about focusing screens next.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine yesterday as well, but haven't yet tried it on. It looks very well made - I'll try every lens I have to see if they stop all the way down.

Thank you Alex!

(I plan to do a presentation of this, with pictures, at Pentax forums, drum up some business for this excellent idea.)

Oh, the cute little cushioned shipping bag with string closure is perfect to hold exposed 120 film.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine turned up today and as said it's well made and does the job - fitted beautifully on my Tak' 50/1.4. Unfortunately I was hoping to use it on my sigma but it is just a shade too deep, unless you take out the filter. Sad Seems only the other sort will fit.

So if anyone wants one....? £10 including postage.

BtW - Thanks Alex - great stuff - shame it didn't fit but worth a try. the Tak did stop down fine.

Last edited by Xpres on Fri May 15, 2009 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, got mine too; one problem with mine, though. If I twist the lens clockwise just a little strongly, then the adapter continues to turn clockwise, and the lens becomes loose. Shouldn't there be a stopper somewhere? I'm a bit bummed because some of my M42 lenses have tight helicoids, which require a rather firm twist to focus. If it weren't for that, I'd love this adapter, which, despite the inclusion of the "removal tool" doesn't require it, and can be removed with my fingers, just like the genuine Pentax adapter Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually since I've used mine the same has happened. It seems the end of the lug after the flexible end of the spring clip is angled, and it can slide over the stopper. The answer in my case was to grind it flat (or vertical in fact) with a dremel, and problem solved, took about a minute, there is a slighht play but it won't go past the stopper any more. If you have another infinity focus PK adapter and compare the 2 you will see what I mean. Hope this helps Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Actually since I've used mine the same has happened. It seems the end of the lug after the flexible end of the spring clip is angled, and it can slide over the stopper. The answer in my case was to grind it flat (or vertical in fact) with a dremel, and problem solved, took about a minute, there is a slighht play but it won't go past the stopper any more. If you have another infinity focus PK adapter and compare the 2 you will see what I mean. Hope this helps Very Happy

Huh, OK, I think I see what you mean. Unfortunately, I don't have a dremel... maybe I'll use this as an excues to get one Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Mine not sit on the right place! Reply with quote

Hello,

I tried mine w/ third party K mount adapter from Ebay.I turn my M42 lens clockwise (Pentacon 135,f2.Cool .It sit about 15 degree before it should be stopped (from the Top).
Is it a normal condition for lenses other than Pentax M42?

Cheers,
RTogog

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The position can vary depending on where the thread of the screw inside the adapter begins, I had one where the m42 lens was upside down, it worked but you couldn't see any of the setttings Very Happy Better quality adapters are usually like yours fairly close if not necessarily perfect.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used mine carefully having read the comments here and haven't had a problem. All the various lenses I tried stopped all the way down, but I haven't yet found (!) all my M42 lenses to try.

I have a Rikenon 28mm that stops with the settings are 45 degrees past 12 noon. Kind of useless with regular cameras - the pin also is 45 degrees off where it should be. Once I find the damn thing I'll try it with this adapter, it should at least be usable. I'll have to take the bottom off the lens to see if I can re-attach 1/3 of the way back, and still have the aperture pin mechanism work...

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the ones I tried have fully stopped down too, it means I can use my Yashinon auto and later Russian auto lenses with happy results, so on the whole its a good piece of equipment and well worth the money thanks again Alex Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adaptor K/M42 made by Hoya is good?

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for the Dremel suggestion. I ran into the same issue with my adapter - which has otherwise worked perfectly - and a little bit of careful grinding seems to have cured it completely. (It took me a little longer than a minute, but that's entirely attributable to the user's skill level.)

I thought it might not be a bad thing, also, to bump this thread up - just in case other folks are encountering the same issue.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:

I got the same problem, but I cannot figure out what to do, (language problems, you know, english not being my mother tongue....).

Would you be so kind of shooting a picture for me?.

Thanks in advance,

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to get a photo of it tomorrow morning Jes so you can see the modification Very Happy
Edit managed a quick shot with flash I hope this will show it ok

Where the arrow is pointing is where the edge of the lug needs to be ground off square, with a vertical cut downwards. You can see where I did it as the brass colour is showing though. This should stop the adapter riding over the stopper in the mount. I hope this is ok for you Jes I can try to post some more shots if you need

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be quite frank, this "modification" should not be necessary for a paid product. Hopefully new batches will have this issue pre-resolved.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
I will try to get a photo of it tomorrow morning Jes so you can see the modification Very Happy
Edit managed a quick shot with flash I hope this will show it ok

Where the arrow is pointing is where the edge of the lug needs to be ground off square, with a vertical cut downwards. You can see where I did it as the brass colour is showing though. This should stop the adapter riding over the stopper in the mount. I hope this is ok for you Jes I can try to post some more shots if you need

Thanks a lot!.
That's clear to me now...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
To be quite frank, this "modification" should not be necessary for a paid product. Hopefully new batches will have this issue pre-resolved.

Well, it's the only adapter of this kind (flanged M42 to Pentax-K) and has been designed by our request, so I can accept that early models like this one are not "perfect".

Knowing Alex, I'm pretty sure it will manage to update the design for the new batches coming.

Otherwise, the adapter is very well built and finished, and the price is adequate.

All in all I'm happy even with this minor nuisance.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhal, just to be sure:

My adapter seems not to be identical to yours:
What you mean is I have to cut off the area I marked in yellow?.
Thanks a lot!

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I took a while to answer but yes the are in yellow is to be rmoved, that worked for me ok. It can probably actually be done with a file rather than a dremel and disc also.You will get a little bit of play in the adapter ie slight movement but it wont fall off or anything like that. Hope it does the trick for you Jes Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Sorry I took a while to answer but yes the are in yellow is to be rmoved, that worked for me ok. It can probably actually be done with a file rather than a dremel and disc also.You will get a little bit of play in the adapter ie slight movement but it wont fall off or anything like that. Hope it does the trick for you Jes Very Happy

Again, thanks a lot!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Poolhall, I followed your advice and it works very well now.

Interesting point is that the unmodified adapter works fine on other PK mount cameras like my LX and SF10. Its just the DSLR's that have this problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

where can I buy the adapter? Does it preserve infinity focus? Is it the same design as the original K-M42 Pentax adapter?

Thanks,
Nima

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reply quickly Nima, send a pm to Alex (hk300) to buy the adapter, he may have some left, it will focus to infinity, and it is very similar to the original design but has an extra flange to engage the push pin on auto m42 lenses, so that they are manual.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.
One more question: Is it possible to srew this adapter sort of permanently to the lens so that it leaves the "fiddling" adapter into bayonet action out of the picture? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know about this type but I did fix a standard m42-k infinity adapter to a Russian Telear. I took off the spring clip that locks the adapter in place to the camera. Then I used the tiny screw that holds the spring clip to lock the adapter to the lens but not too tight! or you will damage the threads of the m42 mount. To lock the lens to the camera I drilled a small hole and put a small screw into the base of the lens so it would catch with the lock (which goes up and down when you press the release button on the front of the camera). On most lenses a small hole or depression would be enough to lock the lens to the camera, but not for this mount. If you are careful the whole process is reversible too, it depends on how far you want to go with it. I hope this is of some assistance