Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax DA*300mm Viviar X2-22 and Pentax QS1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Pentax DA*300mm Viviar X2-22 and Pentax QS1 Reply with quote

Hello,

This week i needed to combine a setup so i could Photograph a ( rare ) bird near to me. there was no way to get closer.
(Pentax DA*300mm Viviar X2-22 and Pentax QS1)

I was pleasantly suprised with the sharpness hitting the tiny Q sensor after passing trough the Vivitar 2x-22.

So what do you do? point it at the moon of course Razz

Would the image be better with a higher grade tele converter ?

Thank you!

100% Crop

No Crop. ( actual sensor size )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent result. Like 1 small
IME the first thing that counts is the quality of the lens. Then the next is how well you stabilise everything. And thirdly (esp for eg moon shots) - atmospherics. I can suggest that the viv tc must be a pretty good one by vintage standards - is it one of the 7 element ones (these are usually either cheaper 4 element ones or better 7 element ones like the viv macro tc).
A more modern one like a kenko AF 2x might well have slightly better optics/better coatings, but whether that would actually show in results is more debatable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax DA*300mm Viviar X2-22 and Pentax QS1 Reply with quote

KarelDH wrote:

Would the image be better with a higher grade tele converter ?

[/url]

Hardly, since only the central portion of the picture is interested by the the subject IMHO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ultrapix

interesting i honestly didn't think about it that way.

because of the small sensor ( of the Q ) it only takes the ( maybe ) better/good part from the projected image.
( i think this is what you mean )

yep this could be a valid point.

Thank you for your insight!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarelDH wrote:
@ Ultrapix

interesting i honestly didn't think about it that way.

because of the small sensor ( of the Q ) it only takes the ( maybe ) better/good part from the projected image.
( i think this is what you mean )

yep this could be a valid point.

Thank you for your insight!

The two things go in the same direction: so, since the major improvement with the 7 lenses converter is about edges, and you cut them twice, I bet that there is little room for improvements, unless you go for a 600 prime of the same quality of your 300

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the 2x image compare to the non-converter image?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
How does the 2x image compare to the non-converter image?

The same but smaller Wink. a tad sharper and les ghosting in the light area's

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, this is one of the best moon shot that I have seen among those took with amateur gear, and it's interesting that it comes from a small sensor coupled to solid glass Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
by the way, this is one of the best moon shot that I have seen among those took with amateur gear, and it's interesting that it comes from a small sensor coupled to solid glass Wink

Agreed. Moon shots bore me to death, but this one has such degree of detail, almost 3D, that I can't stop looking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible and Ultrapix, Thank you for your kind words ^^.

Now I'm curious if adding a extra 2x would give an acceptable result Razz.
I should have a Tamron x2 somewhere, il post the results in the near future

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

With Saturn and Jupiter more visible this week it was time to test this setup.

I think the results are fair but i feel i'm reaching the limit of this setup.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding results.
Well done
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Amazing really!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

Happy Dog Happy Dog Happy Dog

Happy Cat Happy Cat Happy Cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be hard pressed to get a higher pixel density from an ILC (except for the original Q and Q10 which have a 1/2.3-inch sensor with the same pixel count). The DA* 300mm is an amazing lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with with a weird "Canon nFD 2.8/400mm L & multiple TC" setup last year. While the atmosphere was extraordinary clear, nevertheless the setup's resolution was limited by the atmosphere and not by its optical performance: When looking at the moon using live view one could easily see the never ending movements of the air ...

http://forum.mflenses.com/full-moon-with-canon-nfd-2-8-400-plus-multiple-converters-t81443.html

I'd guess that your combination is limited by the air turbulences as well, not by its optical performance.

S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

I'd guess that your combination is limited by the air turbulences as well, not by its optical performance.

S

Of Course there are more factors, and turbulence/atmosphere is certainly one of them.

Also my tripod is not the most sturdy one Wink

I mean that "i feel i'm reaching the limit of this setup" more that adding one more TC it becomes to dark and it the image becomes to soft

A higer densty sensor like D1N0 points out ( and stacking ) migt be the only way to get better result. But i don't think there are much options...

*Or going out of orbit Razz but thats a bit out of budget Razz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that teleconverter and it's a good one: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-2x-macro-focusing-teleconvertor.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a second ( same ) teleconverter. this is the result. ( Pentax Q + vivitar x2 +vivitar x2 pentax 300mm

f4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used to seeing back years photos of Saturn.

Saturn is far away!

Can’t wait for my q adaptor to arrive! Very Happy

Coop stuff.