Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax-A spring missing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Pentax-A spring missing Reply with quote

I received a Pentax-A 50mm f/2 on which automatic aperture does not work because the tiny spring is missing from beneath the aperture contact pin. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement spring?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a couple old computers off eBay and take the hard drives and disk drives apart. Preferably, get computers with floppy disk drives as they have more small springs. The HDDs will also have internal springs, or should. But they also have VERY POWERFUL magnets, so don't work on this next to your good computer or your watch. Or your credit cards.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon has them, but first, go to Smallparts.com and search for the specific size, and then you can buy them on Amazon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disposable cigarette lighters have a long small spring under the flint that is ideal for cutting to shorter lengths.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for these suggestions. I didn't think of an old computer for springs. As it happens, I have two of them to tear apart.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do not find one let me know. I bought some useless lenses just for this. I will just mail you in a letter. I will check tonight what kind of spring is that. I will say its not worth buying a new spring for this, you can probably find the 50/2 cheaper on craigslist.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sinhas. That's very generous of you. Let me know if you find a spring and I'll PM you my address.

I have another A 50/2 that works perfectly, but I'm reluctant to take it apart to measure the spring because I'd probably lose the spring--or the aperture ball bearing or something else. Yes, I know about the plastic bag trick, but believe me, if there's a way I can lose a small part, I will.

If I don't find a replacement spring, it's no big deal. The lens works okay fully manual. I'd hoped to be able to get it in salable shape, though.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parson, I do not have a non-functional 50/2 exactly, but have some other lenses here there, so hope one may be compatible. I do not know what kind of spring is that. I tried to open my m-50/2 to see it but could not see after opening the back mount and removing aperture ring. I stopped there and did not go any further. If you know the spring, you can PM me with diagram/picture and approx size. I will see if any in my stock matches there.