Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Six TL set
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Arista film comes from Czech Republic. Maybe affiliated with Forte
company?

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sad they have long history more than 50 years, they never made colour films just B&W and quality papers.Time is over for film like LP versus CD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yes, sad they have long history more than 50 years, they never made colour films just B&W and quality papers.Time is over for film like LP versus CD

But strangely enough... one very ancient Italian company, that disappeared since the 70s, has just recently -and I would say miraculously- resurrected: Ferrania:

http://www.ferraniait.com/

And apparently, they are making film!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solaris film, but no medium format....

I get almost all film from these guys:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/

But will experiment with ebay, too.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

I have Arista in ISO200 and 400 color film, but then again, made in
Czech Republic. It's funny, Freestyle, where I get the film, has Made in
Hungary on their Arista ads. Confused

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought the set home, but I have not paid yet. The seller let me bring the whole set home and did not even want a deposit nor a document. I guess I must have an honest face Smile

Tomorrow I will test it with a film. I want to test the film traction, this is the weak point in the P6.

The set looks very good (I will make a photo) there seems to be only one problem, the viewfinder, I mean the pentaprism, is quite dirty inside.
The seller says it's easy to clean, it's enough to remove the two screws.
But I am afraid of ruining something.
Anyone hs experience in this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all Pentacon Six has problem this time I got this info on Hungarian forum.They suggest to use Mamiya instead of Six.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Almost all Pentacon Six has problem this time I got this info on Hungarian forum.They suggest to use Mamiya instead of Six.

Laughing Do they also suggest how to gather the necessary extra 400-800 Euros (depending on condition) to buy the Mamiya? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make any research , but they said it much less expensive and you can used with P6 lenses. Did you checked Mamiya bodies on Ebay already?
Never mind P6 body is cheap to start playing its ok. If you figure out this one month before I could give you a perfect P6 body. I sold to France for low price. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I didn't make any research , but they said it much less expensive and you can used with P6 lenses. Did you checked Mamiya bodies on Ebay already?
Never mind P6 body is cheap to start playing its ok. If you figure out this one month before I could give you a perfect P6 body. I sold to France for low price. Sad

Well, I didn't really plan to buy one, you know. I just happened to see it on Ebay and it happened to be a complete set (body, pentaprism, pit viewer, macro tubes, Biometar standard lens, MIR wide angle) all in one purchase.
It was mostly this that pushed me to consider a purchase. If I had to buy all these pieces separately, I would have never started.
Plus another thing, the fact that the seller lives 10 kms from here, so I could go and check the stuff myself.
I can actually recommend this seller, the Ebay nickname is Fonsto1 if i recall correctly, he is a very healthy man (he owns a large store with fashion clothes that he sells internationally), so he will not surely scam you to gain a few hundreds.
He has an impressive collection of old cameras, and in the corridor before his studio, he has lying there at least THREE Leica enlargers for darkroom.
This gives you the idea of how wealthy he is. He does not really need to sell any of the things. He just does that because he loves to deal with photography and meet people like me! Laughing
He took me to sympathy immediately, he gave me the whole stuff to try and didn't want any deposit or receipt!!
He also said that if in a year or two I want to sell the stuff, he will take it back!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! No more comment from my side! Do it!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the guy:

http://stores.ebay.it/fonsto1

it's safe to buy from him if you see something that you like, you can feel safe.
I can also go and check the stuff for you before you bid, if you like.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the P6, Orio! Here are some shots from mine (the square ones): http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-159.html

The P6 has 2 areas to watch out for: one is somewhat fussy shutter speed adjustment, common to the entire Praktisix/PentaconSix series, and the other is possible erratic frame spacing, which is a characteristic only of the Pentacon Six models. There are many notes on the Web on ways to work around the frame spacing issue (if it comes up in your camera) and I have notes on shutter speed adjustment that I'm happy to share with you if you need them (be aware that this is a fairly involved procedure and involves considerable disassembly, so it's not for everyone). Here's the short version, but there are several more sketches for the actual adjustment procedure: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-129.html

I also cut focusing screens for these, but the stock screen is not bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
Good luck with the P6, Orio! Here are some shots from mine (the square ones): http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-159.html
The P6 has 2 areas to watch out for: one is somewhat fussy shutter speed adjustment, common to the entire Praktisix/PentaconSix series, and the other is possible erratic frame spacing, which is a characteristic only of the Pentacon Six models. There are many notes on the Web on ways to work around the frame spacing issue (if it comes up in your camera) and I have notes on shutter speed adjustment that I'm happy to share with you if you need them (be aware that this is a fairly involved procedure and involves considerable disassembly, so it's not for everyone). Here's the short version, but there are several more sketches for the actual adjustment procedure: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-129.html
I also cut focusing screens for these, but the stock screen is not bad.

Fascinating shots!!
You know, I'm really happy that you have signed in here. I really need some support for the P&. I am almost totally new to MF, the only MF camera I used was a (beautiful) Zeiss Super Ikonta a long time ago, a bellows camera, but that was more like a point and shoot, you did not change lens and the camera was zeiss made (that is, it never broke, never), and studied to work for the non professional phtoographers.
I am already in dire straites with the P6, the first roll of film has been I think like half frame overlap, because I shot more than 20 photos on a roll that was supposed to hold 12!!!
I have not seen it yet thoguh, it has to come back from the lab.
The second roll was a bit better but I am not sure I have hit 100% good frame spacing.
I will try to study your links and see if I can improve.

thank you!
Orio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio!

Here are 2 links to look at (the first one has a link to take you to the second, but I wanted to make sure you see it so I added a direct link here):

http://www.pentaconsix.com/spacing.htm

http://www.baierfoto.de/transportengl.html

How you load the camera makes a difference: I've had the problem on some rolls and then had no problem at all on others. The "hold in the button while you start to wind" trick is probably good insurance, but I don't do it myself.

My favorite of the P6 series is the Praktisix II (unfortunately, it's the model that I don't have). The Praktisix and Praktisix II have more reliable spacing than the Pentacon, but certainly there are many Pentacons out there that have no problems.

If you ever have any questions or need a shoulder to cry on, feel free to drop me an email - I may not be watching the forum when a question comes up. rick_oleson@yahoo.com