Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon-B Prakticar 50/2.4 -- bashed focus ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Pentacon-B Prakticar 50/2.4 -- bashed focus ring Reply with quote

What's up: a Pentacon Prakticar 50/2.4 in Pentacon-B mount, #3149835, made by Meyer according to [ http://praktica.planetaclix.pt/lenses.html ]

So I got this baby REAL cheap because it was sold for parts -- some internal wires are broken, but the main problem is the focus ring. It is dented so that it jams against the objective body. It still focuses, but is VERY stiff. I've tried my usual trick involving screwdrivers, pliers, hammer etc, but I can't force-out the dent. The focus ring probably needs to be removed -- but how?

And my next question: Is it worth attempting? Is this just a thin Domiplan?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a triplet like the Domiplan but a four lenses construction: http://forum.mflenses.com/prakticar-2-4-50-and-extension-tubes-t26052,highlight,prakticar,start,15.html
Koji has some samples on Pbase: http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/prakticar_50mm_f24
But I think it is easier to find a better one for cheap, than repairing the dented one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so it is an Ernostar design. That is interesting, historically. But I probably won't buy a better one, mainly because, as I find now, the PB-mount register (44.4mm) is too short for a Pentax mount (45.46). Also because I am cheap. If I could disassemble the lens, I *might* be able to rig an M42 or PK adaptation. But I don't know where to start, taking it apart.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rio -- you need a rubber ring i.e. sink plug - it's cheap and enough ..

The best way how to get to the helicoid (well, if the problem is there ) is take the front retaining ring out

and you can see inside quite well ...

I am preparing a few pictures ..

hold the line Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - TAKING APART

2 - PUTTING TOGETHER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Excellent!! Thankyou thankyou! I'll get a sink plug tomorrow and try this out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan you make it look too easy.. Laughing Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really get tempted. In my drawer is still a Jena Prakticar 50/1.8 (Pancolar) with the same problem. I''ll have to take it out of its hiding place and give it a try. Changing the mount to M42 would be a fine option too.
Let us know if you succeed!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo - this one is easy Cool

each lens has own - tips-and-tricks but sometimes -- especially with cheaper lenses -- oh my god! one has to be careful.

The biggest problem are fasteners or screw they're totally stiff

extremely high attention and care needs to be considered and WD-40 (or any penetrating oil) always on hand ..

Another big problem is screws there not replaceable because they're not common (i.e. japanese industry standard) once that screw is damaged, it's really hard to find replacement one or takes a time at least.

tf