Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon Auto 2.8/29 and E-300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Pentacon Auto 2.8/29 and E-300 Reply with quote

My cousin lent me nice-looking lens - Pentacon 2.8/29. In my opinion this lens is underrated. Of course it isn't the best wide-angle lens, but it's pretty good. The results aren't very impressive, but the lens didn't disappoint me. This Pentacon is good for landscapes and close-ups. Look at my sample images:

F/2.8 and poor weather:

100% crop:

F/4

F/8

F/8; with Marumi half ND-4x filter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hubert, this is really nice!
I like the pastel kind of colours in the first shot as well as the dramatical atmosphere in the last one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten - the today's weather is very variable: clouds, wind,sun, rain... not the best weather to take pictures Smile At present I'm saving money to buy Peleng 8mm, but later I'll buy my own Pentacon 29mm. Nice lens for me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of the lens is very sharp when stopped down.
It surely does not deserve the bad talk that is going on upon it.
Wide open, my copy has a curious dreamy glow similar to that of your Trioplan. Not very common thing for wide angle lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, E-300 doesn't show corner performances of the lens. Corners are soft on my copy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the bike work it's magic on Pentacon 2.8/29 sales in the same way it did Trioplan's ? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Will the bike work it's magic on Pentacon 2.8/29 sales in the same way it did Trioplan's ? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio is correct - at f8 that looks like a very acceptable lens. May well be a good buy especially for landscapes on a digital

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio's observation is true ! At full aperture , this lens is not so far of D. Hamilton results with grease on Rokkor's ... Maxim , how much do you expect to pay for this lens ? On French "Fleabay" , prices are around 15/25 € .However , it is frequent to find the whole kit with a Praktica M series body , 50mm/1,8 , 135/2,8, the 29/2,8 , the bag under €50 .... My personal record is 8€ for this kit in 2006 on a flea-market ....So , if you have the opportunity to try the 135 and 50 too, don't hesitate ! The 135 Pentacon is one of the most appreciated 135mm !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series Hubert, as always

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pentacon 3.5/30mm which this one replaced. I have noticed, as some others have, that there is a severe corner drop off. Actually I put it up against my mir 10A, a very highly regarded lens, and the center performance of the pentacon may actually win out (at least it appeared so in the prints, though it could just have a higher contrast making it appear sharper)....but the edge resolution leaves something to be desired. The mir certainly won in that regard.

Great photos. I like the plant with the star shaped highlights in tha backround..quite an interesting iris.

~Marc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for opinions and pleasing words, colleagues!
Poilu - I hope that I'll take a lot of better pictures in the future!

Helios wrote:
...Maxim , how much do you expect to pay for this lens ? On French "Fleabay" , prices are around 15/25 € .However , it is frequent to find the whole kit with a Praktica M series body , 50mm/1,8 , 135/2,8, the 29/2,8 , the bag under €50 .... My personal record is 8€ for this kit in 2006 on a flea-market...

Some prices in Poland are crazy. Pentacon 2.8/29 in very good condition costs between 25 and 44 €. Sonnar 3.5/135 zebra costs ~55 €, MC Sonnar 3.5/135 costs 80 - 110 €. Brand new Peleng costs 333€... But there's the other side - I bought nice set: rare black Biotar 2/5.8cm, Tessar 3.5/5cm and ancient Prakica for about 72 €. Look at the prices of M42 lenses: http://allegro.pl/50597_obiektywy_m42.html
By the way - now I'm studying chemistry. After studies I can become for example the teacher of chemistry. As the novice teacher, I can earn about 900 PLN (250€) for the month, and after a few years of the work - between 1200 and 1500 PLN (333 - 417€). Not too much, considering my expensive hobby... strange realities! OK, enough complaining Smile

themoleman342 wrote:
Great photos. I like the plant with the star shaped highlights in tha backround..quite an interesting iris...

I'm glad that you like my photos, but these photos are only samples Cool Highlights in the background are rather hexagonal (this effect isn't very visible at F/4). Buy and try Volna 2.8/50 with star-shaped diaphragm - sometimes it gives impressive effects (at F/5.6 and F/8 ) Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxim , did you read my message ? Thanks.