Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 6 wiith Velvia 50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get a decent TLR (Twin Lens Reflex) with fixed 80mm lens for around ?85 - 80mm being the standard focal length for 6x6 with TLRs with interchangeable lenses being correspondingly higher priced. Also, not all have metering so that would have to be considered as well.

Having a fixed lens makes you think more about composition and they're not the fastest cameras to use, plus the viewfinder image is reversed, but what they lack in convenience, they more than make up in IQ.

Some popular models are the Yashica 635 (I have one), Yashica Mat 124G both with fixed lens, Mamiya C220 and 330 with interchangeable lenses, and of course the many Rolleiflex models.

SLR types like the Pentacon 6 with interchangeable lenses give more flexibility again with that 6x6 IQ but you're looking at building up another outfit which you may or may not want to do.

I'd suggest going for a TLR which will give you the 6x6 IQ but at fairly low cost - this will let you decide if MF is for you or not.

Chances are it will be.

Especially when you see your first Velvia 50 6x6 slide.

35mm doesn't even come close.... Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Peter, I agree to Bob.
My medium format cams are viewfinder cams. They don't give you this kind of handling a TLR does. My viewfinder cams are really just for fun, a TLR, which is on my wishlist, will offer you ways to creative photography.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

SLR types like the Pentacon 6 with interchangeable lenses give more flexibility again with that 6x6 IQ but you're looking at building up another outfit which you may or may not want to do.

You do not necessarily have to buy many lenses! One can buy just a 80mm lens (equivalent to 50mm in 135 format) and live happily with his Pentacon 6 the rest of his life.
Another advantage of the Pentacon 6 is the viewfinder, you can have the pit viewfinder (with mirrored view), or you can have the Pentaprism like in reflex cameras. The Pentaprism can also have the light meter built inside, so you don't need an external meter if you don't want to.
With bodies available for 50 Eur as average, and with standard lenses of good quality like the Volna-3 available for 20-30 Euros, the P6 is surely the Medium Format system more affordable today - and one that does not limit you in the future should you want to expand the lens arsenal.
The only real problem with the Pentacon 6 is the film handling, if you are not careful the frames may overlap.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You do not necessarily have to buy many lenses!

I know, but one lens soon leads to another...... Wink

Quote:
one that does not limit you in the future should you want to expand the lens arsenal.

Then you've to carry them.....

This was what I was alluding to when I mentioned building up another outfit. Smile

Quote:
One can buy just a 80mm lens (equivalent to 50mm in 135 format) and live happily with his Pentacon 6 the rest of his life.

Again, very true, but then why have a camera capable of taking different lenses, but never use that capability?

Naturally, there's nothing wrong in that, if that's what you want to do, but if you never intend to change the focal length from standard, then a TLR makes more sense IMO.

No overlapping frame issues either.

@ Peter:

Whichever type of 6x6 camera you get, you'll be delighted with the results.

If you don't plan on changing the focal length from standard, get a TLR, and if you reckon you'll want flexibility, get a Pentacon 6 as it's affordable like Orio says.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:

No overlapping frame issues either.

In all fairness, the Pentacon 6 is not the only camera with this problem.
I used my father's Zeiss Super Ikonta a lot (a folding camera with fixed tessar lens), and although it was Zeiss, so the best photo mechanics available anywhere, once in a while, if I did not load the film carefully, I had overlapping frames there also.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
@ Peter:

Whichever type of 6x6 camera you get, you'll be delighted with the results.

If you don't plan on changing the focal length from standard, get a TLR, and if you reckon you'll want flexibility, get a Pentacon 6 as it's affordable like Orio says.

Thanks very much Bob, good advice. I think I'll go with a TLR to start with, but which make? Rollei is the most famous I suppose, but they all look very nice.

I've got my eye on this one for starters:
Click here to see on Ebay

What do you think? What are the differences between Rolleiflex and Rolleicord?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Orio: I agree - almost any camera can malfunction or have some "quirk", but the Pentacon 6 does appear to have a persistently well documented problem with this, hence my comment.

That said, I'd have one myself, and probably will do some day. Smile

@ Peter:

I don't have any experience with Rollei TLRs as it's a Yashica 635 I have.

This link may help though regarding Rollei in general:

http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/index.shtml

And for the Vb:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00BsaH

As for Yashica, either the 635 or the Mat 124G are popular and have a good reputation.

http://www.williamsphotographic.com/yashica.html

Be aware that not all TLRs have metering - the Vb doesn't, neither does the 635, but the 124G does.