Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 50mm 1.8 on D40X
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 50mm 1.8 on D40X Reply with quote

My m42 to nikon adapter finally arrived, so I can have a play with my lenses, although I have to do it indoors at the moment!

Taken at 1/200 f4 with flash

again 1/200 f4 and flash

1/160 at f1.8, no flash!

the lens really isnt as bad as i thought it would be (even without no infinity focus) so I can't really complain for the ? it cost!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash made these pictures to real good one! People are not respect this lens, but my opinion too a pretty good one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the first one!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks attila! Yes, I was suprised how nice some shots came out especially when stopped to around f4 (1.8 is a bit too soft), and the bokeh seems to be ok!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you will hungry for more East German lenses they are my all time favorite lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is funny the timing of things. I just today sent a PM to Jesito to look out for this lens. It is one of my favorite for shooting B+W. Looks good for color also. It is true that it does not get the respect it deserves. Attila do you know what is the optical formula for this lens ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have always read of Pentacon 1.8/50 being average lens, but my copy is above average. Sure it's soft wide open, but if the Summicron is, then also the Pentacon is allowed to be Twisted Evil
Then stopped down my Pentacon 1.8/50 is well defined. It also has two important qualities:

- excellent density of colours (read = saturation)
- excellent bokeh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a double Gauss :

http://www.praktica-users.com/lens/mlenses/morp1.8_50.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flor27 wrote:
It's a double Gauss :
http://www.praktica-users.com/lens/mlenses/morp1.8_50.html

Yes, I think 90% at least of today's fast 50mm are double gauss based.

Which tells us that apart from materials, no significant progress was made in fast lens design since the late 19th century.

Last edited by Orio on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thankyou! Thanks for the link also.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was forgetting about Summicron in the list of double gauss lenses.

(yes, it was Leica to copy most Zeiss designs, not the other way around Twisted Evil )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hooper
The color are indeed very nice, look sharp lens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Hooper - I also like #1. That D40 has surprisingly good colour control. I think it may be one of the best values for money out there.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys...and yes patrick, it reproduces colours real nice, that was the clincher that won it over the canon!