Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pentacon 500mm/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: pentacon 500mm/5.6 Reply with quote

Just bought this beast yesterday locally for about $200 with both caps, hard case, and M42 mount. If you haven't seen it in person, you'd be surprised by how big it is. Definitely pleased with the purchase, will probably need to invest in a new tripod at some point, but I'm still gonna go out and get some shots. Will post some tests soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3,5 kg I look forward how many times do you will use it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is impressively well made lens, and of course heavy.
I have never used other 500mm lens, cannot comment about IQ
against anything but IQ is satisfactory for me.
I bought it only for collection purpose, not for shooting. Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Pentacon 500mm Reply with quote

Hi there!
I own one too, it is the MC-version.
I have it on a Nikon DSLR system.
It gives great sharp pictures. There is some CA (color fringing) at high contrast scenes (almost always with vintage lenses).

visit www.pws-online.nl
or www.flickr.com/pwsonline
for more images

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic capture.

Is that a Fieldfare?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Pentacon /orestegor 500 & 300mm Reply with quote

Why, thank you all!
It is indeed a fieldfare (Turdus pilaris).
I was so happy with the Pentacon (Meyer Orestegor) 500mm, that I went on the lookout for a 300mm F4 version.

Found one last week, ordered the appropriate adapters at Baierfoto.de, and have made some very sharp images with it. It is also very good with extension rings... (see sample)

It seems te be even sharper than the highly praised AF Nikkor 300mm F4!!! (oops, nope.... not so)

Last edited by pwsonline on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon /orestegor 500 & 300mm Reply with quote

pwsonline wrote:
It seems te be even sharper than the highly praised AF Nikkor 300mm F4!!!

That is not possible. They are good lenses but not sharper than Nikkor, Carl Zeiss Jene etc. Make double check.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it not be possible for a good copy of the Pentacon to be sharper than a not-so-good quality Nikkor?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Could it not be possible for a good copy of the Pentacon to be sharper than a not-so-good quality Nikkor?

I don't think so , perhaps in one case Pentacon at F8 and Nikkor wide open
this is possible

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Pentacon /orestegor 500 & 300mm Reply with quote

Aha, interesting! Very Happy
I wil be returning this week (hopefully) with a reply (tiny test). For that, the situation will have to be constant. Any suggestions?

I have been making some very sharp images with the Nikkor too. but they do not belong in the MF-lenses world...
I simply had the WOW-factor, when I tried the Meyer, and gained this result.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare lenses like compare apple and bananas , both have strongest and weakest parts. Enjoy you great lenses instead of compare them to others. I enjoy really your samples they are just lovely. I wish to see more great results with both of them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon /orestegor 500 & 300mm Reply with quote

Got around to comparing the Nikkor (AF) 300mm F4 IF-ED to the Meyer Orestegor 300mm F4.
Attila is right indeed.
When compared carefully and exactly, the Nikkor is almost always better indeed.
But not even so very much better, so the Orestegor is really true value!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for confirm!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 500 Reply with quote

Thought it might be cool to send this image. I have been searching for a good TC with the Pentacon 500mm, that avoids dramatic increase of CA when used.

I have now used the Sigma EX 1,4xTC with the Pentacon, and the IQ is almost as good as without the TC, when stopped down to F8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got really, really good result! Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 500 Reply with quote

Thank you Attilla!
I must say, I am very happy with both Pentacons.
Basic I.Q. handling comes down to a heavy support and balance.
However, I do miss some opportunities too, due to the combination of manual focus and manual aperture.

But maybe I will have to improve my skills further, I mean, Before the era of Quick-AF and VR, photographers managed to capture impressive stuff too! Tips are welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Very nice shot.

I second it. It has to be really painful to shoot with those manual beasts Very Happy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I have another Pentacon 300/4 copy.

Obviously, the lens quality is under the Canon 300/4 that a best friend have...and using one telezoom of this length, the Canon AF USM is a delicatessen.

However, the Canon cost arround 1500USD, and I won the Pentacon 2 months ago for only 120USD, shipping included. My unit is in perfect glass condition and included m42 mount, both caps, metal hood and his own vintage case.

This Thursday I shooted along 30 minutes (without tripod Shocked ) to many surfers, and the results are incredible for the lens price... but if anyone send me 1500USD, i will buy the Canon the same day Laughing

Regards