Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 30mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Wide open and handheld at 1.6 seconds

You must be either magician or surgeon. Or made of steel Smile

woodrim wrote:
there is a pretty fair chance you have an infinity problem. Is it sharp at shorter distances where you actually have to focus?

The lens actually did have problem with infinity when I bought it. I sanded the inner aluminum spacer ring (which does not look like original, btw) and it was much better in the center. Well, still so-so, but not that bad for a wide angle lens. At shorter distances, the lens behaved the same way as at infinity: center - could be better, but ok, I can live with it; corners - too soft, and the left side even worse then the right side. I have spent a lot of time while trying to center the rear element, to balance the left and right side sharpness.

LLoydy's encouraging words (thank you LLoydy Smile ), and all the nice photos that everybody posted here, pushed me to try to adjust the lens again. And, finally, I was quite successful. The image shows my "favorite infinity test target" - an 150m distant balcony. First, put into the top-left corner. Top part before the adjustment, bottom after - a significant improvement:

And next one, the same balcony in the center. Again, top before the adjustment, bottom after. Apart from the exposure difference, I'd say the detail is +/- at the same level:

So, womble, when you get a feeling that your lens would use some maintenance, get screwdriver and take the plunge Wink
I think that you cannot loose. The money you have paid make the lens ideal for experiments (mine was about the same price).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Womble, I just could not resist to hijack your thread again, sorry, but I simply must throw in few photos taken with readjusted lens Wink

All processed in dcraw + ImageMagick, the first one @5.6 (formerly almost impossible ! ), a little of the perspective correction, and cropped to 4:3 in Gimp

Second @11 (well, I know, its easy for every lens...)

And the last one @8

Michal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you it likes reds. Wink I love the first image in the mall, the colours leap out but it still doesn't look artificial.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done. Did you figured also that this lens have not a "color cast"? Or, it's color cast is "grey"??? My 2 copies also the same characteristics in color rendering: very neutral,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I told you it likes reds.

You are so right. And, even when there is only a touch of red - in the brown and purple tones, the lens does them right, without any strange tint.

RSalles wrote:
Did you figured also that this lens have not a "color cast"?

Exactly. This is the biggest plus of the lens. I like it coupled with my Sony A-500 colors. Here is an out of camera jpeg, only resized/sharpened in AfterShot. I intentionally underexposed it slightly, to make colors of dim bland foggy day a bit stronger.