Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 29/2.8 VS Pentacon 30/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 29/2.8 VS Pentacon 30/3.5 Reply with quote

Hi to all guys,
i'm new in this forum (there is some place for post the presentation? Smile ) ... so i hope that is the right section.

I've a Canon 70D, with M42 adapter.
I'm looking for buy a manual lense (focal about 20mm-30mm) and i saw the Pentacon 29/2.8 or the Pentacon 30/3.5.

Usually i shoot landscapes, so at 99% i'll use the lense closed to f/8 - f/11.
What are the differences (i don't need the 2.8 aperture, because i've a Samyang 14 f/2.Cool? Expeccialy the sharpness, what is the best?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome!
Both of them are decent in my opinion. Both have some signs of soft corners, but probably not with APS-C sensors. There are reports that the 30mm can hit the mirror on some DSLR cameras, so you may want to look into that before you make your decision.

I have them both as Meyer (earlier versions), you can see some samples I took here:
http://manuellfokus.no/meyer-optik-gorlitz-lydith-30mm-f3-5/
http://manuellfokus.no/meyer-optik-gorlitz-orestegon-29mm-f2-8/

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Hi there and welcome!
Both of them are decent in my opinion. Both have some signs of soft corners, but probably not with APS-C sensors. There are reports that the 30mm can hit the mirror on some DSLR cameras, so you may want to look into that before you make your decision.

I have them both as Meyer (earlier versions), you can see some samples I took here:

Cheers

Very nice samples, is it an APS-C you're using?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither is all that good, there are better options, especially if you can broaden your scope to other mounts other than M42.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Hi there and welcome!

Cheers

HI Nordentro!
Thank you for the reply and for the beautiful images!!
They seems both pretty sharp at my eyes! Good!

Thank you for the advice, i'll search better about this problem!
(The 30mm is my first choice Mad )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Neither is all that good, there are better options, especially if you can broaden your scope to other mounts other than M42.

It isn't a problem broaden my scope Smile ... i wrote about M42, because i've only the M42 adapter now.
Which lens would you recommend me?
(always about 20-30mm and not over 100€, if possible)

Thank you in advance Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon 29mm F2.8 was the "deluxe" version of the 30mm F3.5. In the old advertisement below, the Pentacon 29mm F2.8 is promoted explicitly by the manufacturer. The real focal length of the 29mm F2.8 Pentacon is approximately 30.5 mm, which explains the weird declared focal length of 29mm.

In my understanding, the design of the Pentacon 30mm F3.5 corresponds to the first generation of wide angle lenses of retrofocus type. The optical formula basically consists of a negative meniscus in front of a modified triplet. The 29mm F2.8, on the other hand, belongs to a second generation of faster retrofocus lenses with better correction of aberrations.

Like almost all wide angle lenses of its time, when used wide open, the Pentacon 29mm F2.8 suffers from a certain amount of coma and lateral CA. Its performance in the center is very good at F4 and excellent from F5.6. The edges are excellent at F8 for APS-C, and F11 for full frame format. The distortion is relatively small and easily corrected by post-processing.

I have no experience with the Pentacon 30mm F3.5, but I have the impression that the Pentacon 29mm F2.8 is the best option. The Pentacon 29mm F2.8 is an honest lens which was built by the millions. Since it was a relatively cheap lens when new, many certainly were butchered by unskilled "technicians". Beware; buying a used lens is always a risky operation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
The Pentacon 29mm F2.8 was the "deluxe" version of the 30mm F3.5. In the old advertisement below, the Pentacon 29mm F2.8 is promoted explicitly by the manufacturer. The real focal length of the 29mm F2.8 Pentacon is approximately 30.5 mm, which explains the weird declared focal length of 29mm.

In my understanding, the design of the Pentacon 30mm F3.5 corresponds to the first generation of wide angle lenses of retrofocus type. The optical formula basically consists of a negative meniscus in front of a modified triplet. The 29mm F2.8, on the other hand, belongs to a second generation of faster retrofocus lenses with better correction of aberrations.

Like almost all wide angle lenses of its time, when used wide open, the Pentacon 29mm F2.8 suffers from a certain amount of coma and lateral CA. Its performance in the center is very good at F4 and excellent from F5.6. The edges are excellent at F8 for APS-C, and F11 for full frame format. The distortion is relatively small and easily corrected by post-processing.

I have no experience with the Pentacon 30mm F3.5, but I have the impression that the Pentacon 29mm F2.8 is the best option. The Pentacon 29mm F2.8 is an honest lens which was built by the millions. Since it was a relatively cheap lens when new, many certainly were butchered by unskilled "technicians". Beware; buying a used lens is always a risky operation.

Wow, beautiful information and description, thank you!
I read, few days ago, that the 29mm is a little bit worse than the 30mm, about the sharpness...
probably was a unlucky copy Cool

I'm very unsure ... do you suggest the 29mm version, right ?
i found on ebay for 49€ (otherwise the 30mm version at 35€)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badr12 wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
Hi there and welcome!

Cheers

Very nice samples, is it an APS-C you're using?

Thx, I use FF (most of the time) and the samples are from a FF camera. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfaver wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
Hi there and welcome!

Cheers

HI Nordentro!
Thank you for the reply and for the beautiful images!!
They seems both pretty sharp at my eyes! Good!

Thank you for the advice, i'll search better about this problem!
(The 30mm is my first choice Mad )

Thx, legacy lenses are all about the drawing. Sharpness is a bonus Wink
The "29mm" can also focus down to 25cm which is decent for an old mf lens. I would rate the 29mm as an better option, but it is a close race between the 29 and the 30 IQ wise Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 30mm, never used the 29, and I kinda like the 30. I have better lenses in that range so I rarely use the Pentacon. That doesn't make it a bad lens, far from it. But it's not interesting enough to beat the others .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best 28mm in M42 is the Fuji EBC Fujinon-SW 28mm f/3.5(You may need to file the pin on the mount if your adapter does not has a slot to accommodate the pin). My copy works pretty well on NEX-5N. The Hoya HMC/Tokina RMC 28mm F2.8 is pretty good too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Calvin. My vote goes to the RMC Tokina 2.8/28, one of the first 28mm manual lenses i used on digital, and i still love it!

Some samples: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chantalrene/albums/72157630430002884

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
One of the best 28mm in M42 is the Fuji EBC Fujinon-SW 28mm f/3.5(You may need to file the pin on the mount if your adapter does not has a slot to accommodate the pin). My copy works pretty well on NEX-5N. The Hoya HMC/Tokina RMC 28mm F2.8 is pretty good too.

+1

I have the bayonet mount version of the Fuji and it is a great lens. The Hoya/Tokina I have had two or three times and is a good, solid performer.

I also like the Mamiya SX 2.8/28 in M42 a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A detail not frequently mentioned is that the Pentacon 30mm F3.5 is a pre-set lens while the Pentacon 29mm F2.8 is an auto- diaphragm lens with an A/M switch. Maybe an auto-diaphragm is not very important today when the lens is used on a digital camera, but at that time the auto-diaphragm was a major selling point.

The Pentacon 29mm F2.8 is all-metal lens, except for the trim ring with the lens name inscriptions. The rear lens group is mounted in an aluminum barrel whose position can be centralized with three adjustment screws. This shows a careful manufacturing not common in average 28mm lenses.

All indications are that the Pentacon 30mm F3.5 was superseded by the Pentacon 29mm F2.8. Compare for example the prices of the two lenses when new:

Pentacon 29mm F2.8 .................. £ 44.95
Pentacon 30mm F3.5 .................. £ 20.95

It is worth noting that the CZJ 35mm F2.4 lens cost then £ 47.95, only slightly more than the Pentacon 29m F2.8. That made sense because both lenses needed the same manufacturing effort to construct: the lenses had similar mechanical quality and used more or less the same amount of optical materials. Today CZJ 35mm F2.4 is highly valued, as well as anything that displays the name name "Zeiss".

Maybe it is interesting to know the prices of other 28mm lenses in the same period:

Canon 28mm F2.8.............................. £ 135.95
Nikon 28mm F2.8 .............................. £ 188.95
Zeiss Distagon 28mm F2.8 ................. £ 184.24
Elmarit R 28mm F2.8 ......................... £ 276.00
Rokkor 28mm F2.8 ............................ £ 124.95
Pentax 28mm F3.5 M42 mount ............ £ 95.95
Pentax M 28mm F2.8 ......................... £ 95.95
Olympus 28mm F3.5 ......................... £ 90.00
Rolleinar 28mm F2.8 ......................... £ 80.25
Vivitar 28mm F2.8 M42 mount ............ £ 76.64
Vivitar 28mm F2.8 other mount .......... £ 86.04
Tamron 28mm F2.5 ........................... £ 79.95
Helios 28mm F2.8 ............................. £ 36.95
Konica 28mm F3.5 ............................ £ 81.00
Yashica 28mm F2.8 ........................... £ 95.25
Fujinon 28mm F3.5 ........................... £ 97.00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That three screw adjustment at the back of the 29mm is a major design flaw imho. Many of these lenses are badly adjusted and therefore decentred and showing poor performance. I had a mint copy that had poor edges even on APS-C until f5.6, that is not uncommon with this lens. I have seen people cla these lenses, correcting the decentreing and they perform much better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a de-centered Pentacon 29/2.8 too. My Flek 35/2.4 is also de-centered(the front group is fixed by three adjustment screws too).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Pentacon 30/3.5... To my taste it was "nothing special" lens, just something completely ordinary. No great weaknesses but no advantages also. I sold it quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you so much to all! Apologize me for my late reply, but in the weekend i was out of my house.
Saturday i've bought the Auto Revuenon Macro 28/f3.5, for 25€ in a electronic fair.
Unfortunately i didn't see the fungus (or easily dust, i dunno) inside the lense, so when i came back to home i tried to clean it ..... was my first time .... and i've done, but I "broke" one edge's lense, in a small point (with APS-C i don't see anything).

Yesterday, i spent all day in the our mountains and i tried also the new lense. I found a very big problem .... i can't focus at infinity!!! Also at 10 meters ....... probably i mounted one lense in the wrong position Sad

Apologize me, also for my english, i'm italian and is the first english/american forum Very Happy

[i've bought also a 100x100 ND filter for my Samyang 14mm, so for now i've no money for other lense Sad . But thanks for the several information that you give to me Very Happy really, thanks. I think that if i want to nice wide-angle lense i'll spend at least ... 100-150€ ]

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:

A Pentacon 200mm F3.5? I've never seen it. The F4 is very common.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

A Pentacon 200mm F3.5? I've never seen it. The F4 is very common.

A few years ago a work colleague offered me a Pentacon 200mm f/2.8, M42 fitting, boxed and looking "as new", which apparently had been his father's from new. I didn't have a need for it at the time and advised him to offer it for sale on eBay ... wish I'd taken it now, I've never seen another one!

FWIW I like my "original" Lydith, the pre-set aperture takes me back to my first SLR, with all the excitement that brought Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pentacon 30 3.5 is coming my way, and I already have the 29mm F2.8. So i''ll do a comparison when it gets here. Meanwhile still wondering about the 200 F3.5 Pentacon. Maybe it was a Japanese pentacon? I had a 24mm F2.8 Pentacon back in the day (Prakticar BC mount) I forgot about that one. I see it is not very common.

Did some research, It was actually a Sigma:
http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_1468.html#prettyPhoto[pp_gal][lens]/1/ (sigma)
http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2137.html#prettyPhoto[pp_gal][lens]/1/ (pentacon)

not a very good one. Unlike a good copy of the Super-Wide II.

Maybe the 200 3.5 also was a Sigma. There is a not very well known Sigma 200mm F3.5 XQ Scalamatic:
https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS1600x1600~forums/59450687/894353496cf941508bcd896306708036

Last edited by D1N0 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these lenses (29 and 30mm) are the same as the Meyer Optik Görlitz versions.

I own the 29 2.8. I like the saturated colours it delivers; works well on my Pentax K100D and Sigma SD10.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comparison (not mine).
According to it, the 30mm is the winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT9nSG6Q-zk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Brick wall comparison Reply with quote

I compared a brick wall shot between the two lenses:

I find the 30 has more geometrical distortion and vignetting, but is sharper wide open and over the entire frame. The 29mm is soft/less contrasty wide open but sharpens up when stopped down. But not as sharp as the 30.

30/3.5 F3.5 by The lens profile, on Flickr

30/3.5 F8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

29/2.8 F2.8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

29/2.8 F8 by The lens profile, on Flickr

Sharpness drop off is much greater on the Pentacon 29mm wide open.