Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 135: parts compatibility?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Pentacon 135: parts compatibility? Reply with quote

Hello MF experts,
I have a Pentacon 2.8/135 Electric, 6 blades, which I bought without fully interpreting the german description, so that it has problems on the front lens. I was tempted to sell it for repairs, but I could as well try to buy a faulty copy and merge them to one. So, I wonder whether I can safely look for Pentacon Auto too, Pentacon with Praktica bayonet, etc. Or if there is some incompatibility in different years of production...

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very common lens , look same one as replacement. No idea they are same or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens elements are the same between different Pentacon 135mm versions. I have a lens with the body and two elements of an early Pentacon 135mm (no other descriptors in the name) and the rest of the elements from an MC Auto 135mm f/2.8. Works just fine (and as a bonus it has the 15-bladed aperture, not normally available with multi-coated elements).

(Both lenses were partially broken when I bought them, cheap, so don't lose sleep over this frankenstein lens. =)

Edit: Oh, note, however, that the group of elements right behind the front element is not easy to transplant to a different version due to how they are attached, that's why mine is still the original of that lens body. But the frontmost element and all the rear elements (behind aperture) are easy to move.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try to locate one generic Pentacon 135.
By the way, the most important part for me is the front lens (plus tube).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: "Bad" news... Reply with quote

... for me, of course.
I found (and bought) a praktica bayonet version, but unfortunately thread of the front cylinder has a different pitch, so I cannot just swap them like I wanted to. The second lens group seems identical, however I'm not able to unscrew the front ring so I cannot swap lens only.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring around the front element should have notches on it for unscrewing with a spanner wrench, doesn't yours have these?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
The ring around the front element should have notches on it for unscrewing with a spanner wrench, doesn't yours have these?

Yes, but it seems blocked. No idea whether there is some thread lock (glue or so) or just plain old rust.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to put a few drops of naphta around the ring.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Try to put a few drops of naphta around the ring.

...or PlusGas or WD40 Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I also tried with sort of WD40 (unlocker?), but no luck. If there is some glue, perhaps naphta or similar may be the way.