Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pasta for Orio
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Pasta for Orio Reply with quote

Jupiter 9

Jupiter 9

Jupiter 9

Jupiter 9

Jupiter 37AM

Mir-47M

Helios 40-2

Helios 40-2

Helios 40-2

Yvonne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this served already ? Is this ready to eat ? Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like better those photos what are taken with Jupiter-9.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I like better those photos what are taken with Jupiter-9.

I don't agree - I like the Helios 40-2 pictures most. Perhaps I'm prejudiced. Twisted Evil

Thank god tastes are different Very Happy

Michael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lets try to make common sense like on the market Surprised I vote for MIR47.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Yvonne, thanks for the thought Very Happy

Good idea and nice set of pictures! I love food pictures. Unfortunately they need a nice kitchen as a set and mine isn't - your is, instead.
I love the daylight.
I agree with Attila, here the Jupiter-9 wins. It has a more shiny and new and cool color tone, that fits the subject better. My absolute favorite is pic #4, the last one of J-9, taken from above, I love the texture of the flour.
But all of them are nice.

Good idea these food pictures, keep them coming!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at these pictures, I'm thinking, gee, I hope that's not cocaine
under the spaghetti noodles! Laughing So, is that just a pasta dispenser, or
does it make pasta? Curious.

Yvonne, I agree about the Jupiter 9, too. And Orio is not the only person
that likes pasta. But of course, he is from northern Italy *and* owns a
Canon 5D. I see how it is... Laughing

Bill

ps I thought the sprig of basil in the last 3 was a nice touch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Looking at these pictures, I'm thinking, gee, I hope that's not cocaine
under the spaghetti noodles! Laughing So, is that just a pasta dispenser, or
does it make pasta? Curious.
Yvonne, I agree about the Jupiter 9, too. And Orio is not the only person
that likes pasta. But of course, he is from northern Italy *and* owns a
Canon 5D. I see how it is... Laughing
Bill
ps I thought the sprig of basil in the last 3 was a nice touch.

hi Bill the machine is used to roll the pasta and/or cut it into some preset shapes.
A link:
http://www.fantes.com/marcato.htm

Here we use it to make the kind of pasta we cook in the north, pasta with egg:

- tagliatelle (also called fetuccine or in other names)
- lasagne
- tortelli
- cappelletti (also called anolini)

All of these are native to my region and we cook them in several ways. All the pasta that is traditional to the north is of this kind (soft, with egg).

The other kind of pasta, the one made with only wheat and water (spaghetti, maccheroni, penne, etc.) are traditional of central and southern Italy, and we don't make it at home here, we buy it made in the shops, just like you.

It makes really sense to make the pasta with egg at home, because it tastes much better than the one bought in the shops. The reason is that conservation of pasta with egg inside is more problematic, so the product in shop is less natural.

On the contrary, the pasta without egg, like spaghetti, lasts much longer as it is, and does not need conservation things, so to buy it in the shops does not make a real difference, and you save lots of work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating info! I had no idea there were preferences in pasta to region.
So, this soft pasta, you would steam it, right? Boiling would be too severe,
it would break apart, maybe not. (?) I don't make my own pasta but of
late have been buying Barilla Plus multigrain pasta, for protein and ALA
Omega-3 source. I like the Rotini kind of this.

Of course, when I eat out, I seem to always go for chicken alfredo on
fettucine noodles, my favorite. Wink

The soft pasta sounds divine.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys.. You dont have "Olive Garden" in Italy... Shocked
Laughing Very Happy

Nice pictures... Taking food/kitchen pictures is totally different art.. and I deprived of that...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Fascinating info! I had no idea there were preferences in pasta to region.

We have a lot of different traditions and not only on regional base, also on province base and even town base.
I know it's difficult for a non-Italian to really understand this so I don't blame on you Wink
but Italy is really many microcosmos or small islands if you prefer. Almost impossible to understand unless one lives here. For instance, there are some places in central-southern Italy that have been studied by scientists as both language and ethnicity dates back to pre-Roman age (the Samnites) and have lasted until today. Amazing isn't it?
And here in the north it's even more complicated, as we have been dominated by many different nations and people over the centuries, from Celts to Romans, to Eastern Europe tribes to Spanish, Austrians, French. We are really a melting pot. For instance, my region has been under French domination and believe it or not, all people that is native to Parma and Piacenza regions is born with the "french R" and we all speak like that, including myself. We are easily identifyable in Italy because nowhere else they speak with the French "R" except single cases. So we must have quite a bunch of French genes running in our blood. Wink
Also our dialect (our everyday language) has a lot of distorted French words. An example? The potato, in Italian is called "patata", but here we call it "pum da téra", which comes from French "pomme de terre".
And so many other words.

Funny eh? Smile
I bet almost no one outside of Italy is aware of these things. The public image of Italy abroad is much different from the reality of things here. but of course you realize these things only when you live here for a while.

katastrofo wrote:

So, this soft pasta, you would steam it, right? Boiling would be too severe,
it would break apart, maybe not. (?)

It's boiled - of course you take some precautions. First, egg pasta cooks much faster than water pasta - from 3 to 5 minutes depending on the shape and thickness. Water pasta cooks from 8 to 12 or sometimes more.
Secondly, the secret is to take the water to boiling point, throw in the pasta, then lower the fire so that the boiling is not turbulent. With water based pasta you don't have to take these precautions.
Also, we also use the egg pasta a lot in the oven - lasagne for instance. IN this case you only make a partial cooking in the water, then take out and complete cooking in the oven.

katastrofo wrote:
The soft pasta sounds divine.

It is. Smile
When the lasagne are properly made (and this is very difficult to happen, even here it's not easy to find people or places that do them properly), I think they are the most divine of food, sent by some God Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, all of it. I can see that leaving the soft pasta in water even
30 seconds too long might separate it from excellent to mediocre. I had
a girlfriend in high school of Italian ancestry that taught me to always
cook the water pasta to "el dente" no more. I really can't stand pasta
that has been overcooked to a waterladen mess.

Hummm, I'll be checking the Italian restaurants for soft pasta! Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Interesting, all of it. I can see that leaving the soft pasta in water even
30 seconds too long might separate it from excellent to mediocre.

Absolutely true.

katastrofo wrote:
I had
a girlfriend in high school of Italian ancestry that taught me to always
cook the water pasta to "el dente" no more.

Al dente, yes Smile

katastrofo wrote:
I really can't stand pasta
that has been overcooked to a waterladen mess.

Yep, this is crucial, unfortunately outside of Italy many tend to overcook the pasta, some even to the point that it becomes what I call "poster glue" Wink

katastrofo wrote:

Hummm, I'll be checking the Italian restaurants for soft pasta! Wink

In that case, you really want to look for places that make "cucina emiliana" (Emilia is my region), or even more localized, like "cucina parmigiana" (parma) or "cucina bolognese" (Bologna).

This is not secondary. For instance, lasagne are alien to southern Italy restaurants, as much as they are to foreign restaurants.

An example that goes the other way around is pizza. Pizza is not more northern Italian than it is American or German. It is really a southern Italy food. It is alien here, and a lot of "pizzerie" here have Southern Italian pizza cooks.
I saw a funny Hollywood film some time ago, it was a comedy about two Italian families of pizza makers that had a rivalry. It was a Romeo and Juliet of modern day, located in Verona (north of Italy) but the families were looking and speaking like Southern Italy families. To the eye of an Italian, that films looks REALLY really weird Very Happy
It looks for us, as strange as it would look to German people seeing a film about two families in Berlin that are dressed in Bavarian costumes and speak Southern Germany dialect. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, al dente. Wink I must've been thinking of Sophia Loren in "El Cid"
when I was typing. Actually, I get all these Al's confused: there's Al
Fresco, Al Fredo, Al Dente, and then there's Arthur Deco, "Art" to his
friends... Laughing

Orio, have we derailed Yvonne's thread here, just a little? I think so, too. Embarassed

Interesting stuff, tho.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Orio, have we derailed Yvonne's thread here, just a little?

I think it's no problem to talk about pasta in a pasta gallery thread. And, by the way, I am able to confirm that Yvonne not only can shoot pasta pics. I like her gnocci most. Very Happy

orio wrote:
I agree with Attila, here the Jupiter-9 wins. It has a more shiny and new and cool color tone, that fits the subject better

O.k., obviousliy I'm part of the minority. The Jupiter 9 images are totally different. Clean and cooler, yes, more like product photography. But I like the Helios-40 pics more because they provoke a more warm, detailed and old fashioned atmosphere. I didn't know before Yvonnes using of the Helios with a 5d that it vignettes - but I like this very much. For me is number 8 one of my favourites. A not so common perspective, the very shine metal of the machine and the small DOF produced by the Helios.

By the way, I have to convince Yvonne to use this machine next weekend. I'm getting hungry...

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very nice pictures, Yvonne!
Some of them could be in a food magazine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
I didn't know before Yvonnes using of the Helios with a 5d that it vignettes - but I like this very much.

Welcome to the full frame world Wink
Yes some lenses that we did not suspect before, do vignette when mounted on full frame cameras. But at least in my case, Helios vignetting is not very bad, if at all. Maybe a little. But this takes us to the other variable, the build variable.

Besides, with portrait lenses vignetting is not always a bad thing. it may even help to convey the attention on the central subject. Of course it depends on a lot of things and mostly works better when the vignetted portion is also blurred.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sing along with me:
Everything looks better in my full, frame, world.... Razz

Yeah I'm kidding, but nice hook to a song Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I make a criticism? Embarassed I love the images themselves but for me the composition is a little contrived, I know that all still lifes are pre made but I would like it to look as though someone had actually been cooking if so you would not have the finished pasta which is hard store bought spaghetti in the flour, and to me the leaf looks completely out of place and false. Nice images though 4 and 7 for me Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
can I make a criticism? Embarassed
I love the images themselves but for me the composition is a little contrived, I know that all still lifes are pre made but I would like it to look as though someone had actually been cooking if so you would not have the finished pasta which is hard store bought spaghetti in the flour, and to me the leaf looks completely out of place and false.

I know at first hand that Yvonne doesn't like beeing too friendly Very Happy
Beside that we think that this is the only way to learn something.

Hard pasta and a machine to make fresh pasta - I said to her that this doesn't fits but she didn't want to hear. I wondered why no one mentioned it before. So it's not false what you said. But fresh uncooked pasta isn't such an aesthetical view.

The basil leaf in contrast is o.k. here from a cooks point of view. It's sometimes used in the boiling pasta water.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, you'll never work in this town again! You're outa here! I'm kidding.
I liked the sprig of basil, I think it was a nice accent, so there. Say
"good night," Bob. Still kidding.... Laughing

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:

Hard pasta and a machine to make fresh pasta - I said to her that this doesn't fits but she didn't want to hear. I wondered why no one mentioned it before. So it's not false what you said. But fresh uncooked pasta isn't such an aesthetical view.
The basil leaf in contrast is o.k. here from a cooks point of view. It's sometimes used in the boiling pasta water.
Michael

I of course have noticed and yes if this had to be a promo for the pasta machine, that would not work, because even a water-based pasta like spaghetti looks wetter/not so dry after having been made, BUT, ultimately, I did not comment on that and you know why? Because on photography I have a different mind. For me, in war, love, and photography, everything is fair.

After all, what is a photograph? Pixels laid down on a flat surface, in a certain order.
Yes this is a paraphrase of a famous Maurice Denis sentence about painting - I think it fits photography also Wink

I must be in a paraphrase day Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't pretend to be an expert but I know what I like and what I dont! I have tried still life and I have not mastered even the start of it , it is a great skill of lighting and composition. Yvonne, maybe I will try a still life I hope you are as honest with me Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on a really lovely and unusual set of pictures, Yvonne. I am sorry I missed this thread until now. There is a kind of peacefulness conveyed in the shots, I can almost hear the silence.

My favourites are No 1 with the Jupiter and the Mir-47 picture. You may have intended this, and it's my personal taste, but for me the depth of field in the others is not quite sufficient, giving small areas which are out-of-focus, which I find a little difficult to look at.

Now if Bob is going to be drummed out of town for what he said, how about this! I never realised before that home-made spaghetti was made with a machine. I've seen film of pasta being stretched and folded and stretched and folded by hand until there are many strands. I also saw a film once about how spaghetti grows on trees in Switzerland. SO this machine was a surprise for me - and what a beautiful machine. The silky smooth chrome finish is beautiful - I feel an impulse to want to stroke it. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
I don't pretend to be an expert but I know what I like and what I dont! I have tried still life and I have not mastered even the start of it , it is a great skill of lighting and composition. Yvonne, maybe I will try a still life I hope you are as honest with me Smile

You can be sure of that... Wink

Many thanks for every single comment to my pictures. Of course you're right, that the spaghetti doesn't fit to the home-made-pasta-machine. Let me explain it to you.

My intention wasn't a picture for advertising but a picture of an idea, of a feeling. After the dialogue with Orio about the italian food and his immediate search of a special cooking recipe for me I had the idea to thank him with my pictures, with my feeling for the italian cuisine. My problem is that I've to realize my ideas very immediate because I'm always afraid that they could vanish in thin air cause of nomal-day duties.

I haven't the technical know how as each of you, I evaluate the pictures in a different way, I'm looking for a feeling inside of me, when I view them. The lenses are only tools for me to realize my ideas. Sorry. Wink Be patient with me Laughing