Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Parco Mazzini - a view
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Parco Mazzini - a view Reply with quote

Pentacon 6
MIR-26B 3.5/45
Kodak T-Max 100
Epson Perfection 4490 Photo

direct link:
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/3463/p6mir26b02redee9.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shoot , remember me for winter time Brrr.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous shot! I'm going to have to try that T-MAX 100 film.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture Orio, and the scanning is spot-on as well.

I don't understand P6 at all - what is the size of the negative and the lens register distance? And what's the 35mm equivalent of the 45mm lens?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I can help with at least negative size: 6cm x 6cm, medium format.
Good choice for Orio as he has several lenses he can use with the
Pentacon 6 whereas I, with the Kowa and Ricohflex, am stuck with what
I got, at least for now.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting result, I like it very much. Not easy for me to resist against this seduction to go for this format...

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
Peter, the format of the Pentacon 6 TL (this is my precise model) is 6x6, you can use rolls of 12 or 24 images.
The ratio compared to 35mm (a.k.a. 1315 format) is 1.6:1, which is the exact opposite of the ratio between regular 35mm fullformat and the crop format of the 400D.
To find out what matches in MF the focal lenght of the 35mm format, you have to multiply by 1.6
e.g. a 50mm lens in the 35mm format, corresponds to an 80mm lens in the medium 6x6 format, as 50x1.6=80
As a consequence, what is a standard lens for MF (80 mm) is a short tele for the 35mm format.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks guys.
Peter, the format of the Pentacon 6 TL (this is my precise model) is 6x6, you can use rolls of 12 or 24 images.
The ratio compared to 35mm (a.k.a. 1315 format) is 1.6:1, which is the exact opposite of the ratio between regular 35mm fullformat and the crop format of the 400D.
To find out what matches in MF the focal lenght of the 35mm format, you have to multiply by 1.6
e.g. a 50mm lens in the 35mm format, corresponds to an 80mm lens in the medium 6x6 format, as 50x1.6=80
As a consequence, what is a standard lens for MF (80 mm) is a short tele for the 35mm format.

Thanks Orio, that's what I needed, the 45mm lens you used is equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm camera. I have a lot to learn about other formats Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Thanks Orio, that's what I needed, the 45mm lens you used is equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm camera.

Exactly.

peterqd wrote:
I have a lot to learn about other formats Smile

Me too Smile
But really, the differences aren't that big for the normal use. Apart from the lenses focal lenght difference, which you have already learned, the main difference is the difference in the DOF, which is shallower on the medium format. It is in fact a general rule, the smaller the format, the deeper the DOF. This explains why it is easier to play with bokeh effects on a 5D than it is on a 400D, and why it is easier on a medium format camera than it is on the 5D.
If you take the photo of the bench that I have published yesterday, you can see the DOF is shallow, but what makes it very unusual is that it's taken with a 28mm equivalent (the Mir 45mm). To obtain the same DOF with a 35mm camera, at the same aperture, I should have used a standard lens with the 5D and a short tele with the 400D.
In other words I can obtain with a 28mm equivalent the same bokeh effect that I would need a Helios-40-2 to obtain on a 400D (always at the same aperture of course).
This opens a lot of creative possibilities with the medium format. You can shoot a wide angle photograph and have your lens NOT to get everything so desperately in focus. To have a really selectable focus on a wide angle is something that adds so much to the possibility of taking "mood" photographs. I think that this is what Michael (Borges) refers to as the "appeal" of the medium format. I am caught by this too. The fact is, you can feel it even when you are shooting. So the same shooting experience is different. You do NOT stand in front of a subject with a MF camera the same way you do with a 35mm camera.
And this alone is what makes it worth, IMO. It refreshes the way you approach the taking of a picture.