Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panorama software
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Panorama software Reply with quote

I try to make a pano with photoshop photomerge but the result seems distorted.
What do you use to make pano
Any advice

today 1pm

Last edited by poilu on Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you didn't take captures with perfectly horizontal tripod. It makes huge difference. hard to correct afterward.

Last edited by Flor27 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they tell me that photoshop CS3 is much improved for panorama. But I only have CS2 which is notoriously not good at it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I think it's lack of a truly horizontal horizon. What focal length did you use? On a crop sensor anything below 35mm needs incredibly careful use to avoid distortion problems in my limited experience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the shots in portrait (short side up), use a tripod for horizontal hold, allow at least 20% overlap and use specialized software for the panorama merge (check out www.kekus.com if you use a Mac). There are some incredible examples on the net, I will try to find them again.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it seems I asked too much from photoshop
3 horizontal shots at 28mm without tripod are not the best way
on building I tried with 2 portrait shots at 28mm without tripod and get better result

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distortion of the kind to affect a panorama is best avoided using a longer focal length (85 - 135) in portrait mode.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe good thing with Contax lenses is: you can go down to 25mm focal lenght and do panoramas like if it was a 50mm lens - distortion is about the same!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For stitching here is a link to the original source of most software. It was a free set of tools called Panotools by a German professor of optics and physics. His site is now gone because of corporate threats by one company that tried to put a legal lock on all stitching software and this site carries on the work.

http://panotools.sourceforge.net/

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niblue, they are awesome - no wonder you miss the camera.

Poilu

Here is the site of one of the original proponents of panotools (which by the way is very user-unfriendly) with some impressive samples.

http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/index.html

patrickh