Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panorama software part 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Panorama software part 2 Reply with quote

I never read help, I am the stupid one
I choose perspective mode and get the normal wraparound effect

photoshop help wrote:
With Reposition Only and Snap to Image selected, Photoshop will preserve alignment at overlapping image areas, and apply blending to even out differences of exposure between the images.
In Perspective mode, Photoshop selects one of the source images to supply a vanishing point, and stretches or skews the other images to create a wraparound effect. Use the Vanishing Point tool to change the vanishing point and reorient the perspective.

EDIT----EDIT----EDIT----EDIT----EDIT----EDIT----EDIT
I was happy with this new pano but when I recheck it I found 2 churches instead of one. Photoshop make good job but the advice in the other thread are very important. A tripod and free distortion lens are necessary

I made a link to the pic because if image is wider than 900pix, it's difficult to read the answers

crop of pano and test of mflenses forum limits
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc62/par12345/pano3.jpg

Last edited by poilu on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is far better than than the first one Wink

May I suggest you to have a try with Hugin (open source panorama software) ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have no dimensional limit on linked pictures, just we agreed at the beginning we not publish wider images than 900px.
I think if you need sometimes wider space doesn't hurt anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are into panoramas you may wish to try this one. Zoner Panorama Maker.
http://www.zoner.com/panorama-maker/download.htm
This download only provides a 30 day trial. I am fortunate in that I got a copy on a one time free offer which allows unlimited usage as its only now and then that I need it so a time limited offer would not have been much use for me.

When I have used it I have found it to be very good, having good algorithms to automatically match and balance tone / color of photos that are joined (this is a common problem in joining photos to make a panorama) and is able to compenstate for different lens focal lengths. The software also allows you to crop the image when joined so you get a completed outcome without the need to import into any other software for finalising. The full license for unlimited use is only $12.95 so if you are into panoramas it could be worth paying for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that I have used Photoshop Elements to join photos and can confirm that the versions used by me - i.e earlier versions, are not entirely satisfactory. The tone and color of both photos seldom match properly and there is no process but trial and error to rectify this and there often is unacceptable distortion in the outcome besides. I have also found that when Elements tries to do its stuff automatically it often fails to join the photos and asks you to do it manually. It will work, but not as well as the Zoner software I mentioned above which I especially like because it automates so much so successfully. I have not yet had an outcome that i would call a failure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one for Attila. This is a merged shot made from two photos side by side. I think I used Photoshop rather than Zoner on this as if you look closely the join is not exact. But I am sure you will recognise the view.

And here is one from my home country - Australia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter for your advice
I am not in panorama, just try it for fun, of course $13 is a pretty nice price even for fun.
I check zoner photo studio 9 from the same factory who also have panorama tools and it is a impressive package.
It is very fast and have many tools. It even allow to change exif in a batch. I will check this little gem I didn't knew before.
I also check the panorama function, very fast with editable point for fine tuning. No error like photoshop who double a church. The connection are more visible like ghost where you can see the 2 photos overlap. The blend of photoshop is nearly invisible but anomaly like 2 church is unacceptable.
Of course with a tripod and 50mm lens the result will certainly be better in the 2 programs.
Your 2 samples are very nice and I was unable to find the connection point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! When you been here in Budapest ?Hungary is pretty far from your homeland !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in 1998. My father was Hungarian and came to Australia in the 1950s. He grew up in Tata and Budapest. I went back to meet family as I grew up in Australia. Speaking personally I loved the place especially Budapest which was sensational for photography. Here are a couple of others from that time. They were all shot with a Nikon s801s and 28-85 zoom but suffered a little in the scanning. Hope you enjoy them.....

By the way the photo with the stairs below...you may be able to help me. This was in a street below the castle district and I have been trying to recall the name of it so I can place it on Google Earth. Do you have any ideas? The photo below it is the same street but looking the other way.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On first picture you can see street title, put into google maps "budapest,linzi lepcso" right map will comes. You have such a beautiful country , one of my dreamland. I would immigrate to there, but almost impossible to get VISA so I reject my immigrate to over there. Can you share many photos from your country ? I strongly interested about animals and natural beauties.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter / Attila

Those are really mouth-watering shots of Budapest - a city I have always wanted to visit. I also loved the Oz pano - where is that? I have visited Sydney and Melbourne and loved the place, especially the food.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will welcome in my country! I could give your a summer flat at lake Balaton , unfortunately I have not enough space for guest at Budapest Sad

Spring or summer time when weather is good nice place to visit for a photographer like you.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. Hungary is beautiful and one day I would love to come back and see more of the country. So you never know................

Most of my time previously was spent in and around Budapest but I also visited some villages. Tata, Szentendre, Vacs and the Danube bend area but never had time to get to Lake Balaton. But I found many opportunities for photo taking.

Attila you should not be discouraged to get a visa to Australia. My wife came from overseas and we had a very hard time to get her a residents visa. But we kept trying and eventually were successful. The Immigration Department is difficult to deal with but their rules change from time to time so it may be possible that you would qualify.

The photo I was asking about Attila was the one further down - the one with the steps rather than the one with the street sign. I believe this was in a street just below one of the entrances to the castle district. The one with the street sign is nearby the Castle District too but from memory that one was near to the Vienna Gate somewhere, perhaps on Battyanyi Street or near there but the other one I cannot remember.

The photo in Australia was taken at a place named Katoomba. It is in the blue mountains just inland above Sydney. It is very rugged and beautiful but with many spas and hotels, a popular spot to avoid the summer heat of the city.

I will find some other photos of Australia to post. Until then here are a couple I have available.

My wife on one of Australia's famous beaches (well this one is not specifically famous but they are famous in general.)

And some yachts sailing on Lake Burley Griffin near where I live in Canberra.

Both of these were taken with a Leica and a low contrast Elmar 90mm lens as you an see from the quite low contrast results - which I quite like, they have an old photo look about them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly forgot this one which I posted recently on another site. Of course its the famous Sydney harbour bridge (the coat hanger we call it.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice captures ! If you like this low contrast "old" looking photos , buy a 2 USD russian camera that is a guarantee result will be exactly this Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings back fond memories - I stayed in the Rocks in a little apartment. Had breakfast most mornings at the Circular Quay

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my father was alive he had a shop in the Rocks. Sydney is quite unique even for Australians. It is a great place to visit - that harbour is gourgeous especially at night but unless you are a millionaire or very lucky, it is a very hard city to live in like most large metropolises. Very expensive housing, poor public transport, an alternative between traffic jams and paying a small fortune for toll highways whan travelling by road. Its not an easy town to live in but lovely to visit and lots of photo opps for people like us. I think we always like seeing what we are not used to. Budapest struck me as a lovely place. Although when I was there there were still many buildings with war damage from WW2 or from the 1956 revolution and it looked as if life could be hard in the era immediately after the collapse of communism. But I loved it and still have very fond memories.