Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panorama of Rust
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Panorama of Rust Reply with quote

As the visibility was extraordinary today I couldn't resist to make a panorama of lake Neusiedl.
In original size it would be 40.000 pixels wide to show the whole lake. I therefore cropped it to 15.000 pixels for the town only and reduced the overall size to 6.000 pixels for presentation here.
The pictures have been shot with my Ricoh GXR-M and the Voigtländer Color-Heliar 75mm/F2.5 lens.
In original size even the castle of Bratislava is visible in the background (which is apprx. 50 km air-distance away).

Please click on picture for the 6.000 pixels wide view.

This time I used "Panorama Maker 6" instead of Photoshop as PS didn't manage to work correctly for unknown reasons. Maybe the whole panorama was too big for PS (18 single pictures)? No idea.

As usual comments are welcome.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shot Thomas. What are the white structures in the far distance? Wind farms?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extraordinary clarity! And a surprising number of wind turbines! Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Edgar and Miran.

Yes, those turbines are for the production of electric energy. In Austria we manage already a nearly 80% production share of environment friendly plants (water, wind and solar energy).
In Austria the basic law doesn't allow the operation of nuclear power plants and we want to get rid of the old traditional oil and coal plants as soon as possible. The draw back are those "wind mills" which are not really nice to look at. However, they are at least 20 km away from my living place. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Thomas , impressive shot , great light ! I know those impressive turbine lands , the autobahn from Hungary is passing near them I can say I was impressed when I saw them for the first time ten years ago (and then they were less)
Is the Bratislava castle seen thru the turbines field on the hills in the horison just at right side of a tall structure on that hill ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo wrote:
Hello, Thomas , impressive shot , great light ! I know those impressive turbine lands , the autobahn from Hungary is passing near them I can say I was impressed when I saw them for the first time ten years ago (and then they were less)
Is the Bratislava castle seen thru the turbines field on the hills in the horison just at right side of a tall structure on that hill ?

Thanks, Teo. The light was indeed great today.

Here is a 100% crop of the part with the Bratislava castle on the hill:

I've never seen it before from my home place. You even can guess the Kamzík TV Tower behind (left of the castle).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
The draw back are those "wind mills" which are not really nice to look at.

The main drawback is that they can't satisfy baseline demand (look it up) and so can never fully replace steam driven generators (nuclear, coal) and can only augment them. At least with the energy consumption dynamics we've become used to, expecting energy in almost unlimited quantity to be available at any time all the time. Austria may have an 80% alternative share in its energy production but it also has to import a lot of it, most of which is coal (the dirtiest) so the total share of alternative in energy consumption is significantly less. What Austria is doing is washing its hands clean and offloading all the environment problems that come with generating electricity to neighboring countries. If Austria really cared about being enviromentally friendly, it would only import energy from alternative sources (or at least nuclear which is one of the cleanes sources of energy) but it can't do that because it's physically impossible. Also alternative power is not nearly as green as it sounds. Huge amounts of energy, raw materials and physical space are needed to construct these plants and especially in the case of solar power also a lot of toxic materials are involved (heavy metals and such). You need to look at both sides of the coin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miran wrote:
tb_a wrote:
The draw back are those "wind mills" which are not really nice to look at.

The main drawback is that they can't satisfy baseline demand (look it up) and so can never fully replace steam driven generators (nuclear, coal) and can only augment them. At least with the energy consumption dynamics we've become used to, expecting energy in almost unlimited quantity to be available at any time all the time. Austria may have an 80% alternative share in its energy production but it also has to import a lot of it, most of which is coal (the dirtiest) so the total share of alternative in energy consumption is significantly less. What Austria is doing is washing its hands clean and offloading all the environment problems that come with generating electricity to neighboring countries. If Austria really cared about being enviromentally friendly, it would only import energy from alternative sources (or at least nuclear which is one of the cleanes sources of energy) but it can't do that because it's physically impossible. Also alternative power is not nearly as green as it sounds. Huge amounts of energy, raw materials and physical space are needed to construct these plants and especially in the case of solar power also a lot of toxic materials are involved (heavy metals and such). You need to look at both sides of the coin.

Well, I've studied the recent publications now and found out that apprx. 70% came from water power plants. Wind doesn't play that role and as you stated can only be used to supply additional demand. However, Austria stopped the usage of coal for the production of electric energy in 2005. BTW, 12% from the imported electrical energy comes from Slovenia.
There is still a lot to be done to change everything to a more environmental friendly production of energy. The oil for the cars have the biggest share in Austria.
Nevertheless, I am totally against nuclear power (though we are surrounded by such time bombs already). All of our neighbors have such plants and some of them are unfortunately quite near our border. I still consider this as the biggest danger for all of us.
However, the politicians are acting far to slow to change everything. It would be already possible to get rid of all those old-fashioned and dangerous energy consumption methods. It would also be very important to stop the import of oil from countries like Saudi Arabia or Iraq, etc...
That's far off topic btw.... Wink

P.S.: In the overall energy consumption figure coal is 10% in Austria and 20% in Slovenia (according to the statistics from 2013).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive, well done!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Teo wrote:

Thanks, Teo. The light was indeed great today.

Here is a 100% crop of the part with the Bratislava castle on the hill:

I've never seen it before from my home place. You even can guess the Kamzík TV Tower behind (left of the castle).

Exactly ! That's it ! Impressive ! Whoo Turtle Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Impressive, well done!!

Thank you, Klaus.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternative take with Leitz Elmar 135mm/F4 apprx. the same as before (original apprx. 15.000 pixels wide and down-sized to 6.000 pixels for presentation).
Again please click on picture for full 6.000 pixels view.

However, the weather, i.e. the visibility was unfortunately back to normal.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Nice job!

Thank you!